Russia Bombings

maqroll

The Olympic Committee must be very nervous after two days of bombings in southern Russia...only days away from the start of the games, some teams must be thinking long and hard about their own security arrangements.

Of course, this could all be orchestrated by Putin to distract from/justify his own totalitarianism and try and put pressure on the Muslims in Chechnya etc...

The Olympic Committee must be very nervous after two days of bombings in southern Russia...only days away from the start of the games, some teams must be thinking long and hard about their own security arrangements.

Of course, this could all be orchestrated by Putin to distract from/justify his own totalitarianism and try and put pressure on the Muslims in Chechnya etc...

I'm no expert, but I'm struggling to see what Putin would gain from the bombing and killing 30 + of his own people just before the Olympics. I know Putin and his style of govt isn't liked in the West, but organising suicide bombings and car bombings, that might be stretching a point.

With bombing on this scale, I'd say there's a good chance the first sign of anything happening in close proximity to the Olympics would result in a large part of the show packing up and going home.

I know I'd be reconsidering my attendance if it were me jen

would a bomb in Belfast have stopped you going to the London Olympic site?

if terrorist action 700km's from the site is going to stop your attendance you can expect a lot more bombs

• Like 2

This last bit wouldn't surprise me.

Saudi Arabia's Prince Bandar threatened Russia with attacks before the games if Putin didnt stop his support of Assad.

Bandar has been planning this for ages now and has admitted it. Sadly it seems their will be more to come.

• Like 1

if terrorist action 700km's from the site is going to stop your attendance you can expect a lot more bombs

Yeah but Russia scares me enough as it is. Nice to see our overlord liked it though  :rolleyes:

Yeah but Russia scares me enough as it is. Nice to see our overlord liked it though  :rolleyes:

aye I'd agree Russia is scary

Without looking like an apologist or friend of the Russian regime, it's what surprised me most with the Greenpeace folks. They took aggressive action against Russia and then came over all shocked and upset at being put behind bars for it. Surely anybody thinking of doing anything vaguely anti establishment on Russian soil or in Russian waters can't really be expecting a light telling off and a free cab to the airport?

I don't follow politics at all but I assume these things happening before the Olympics are not just coincidence?

There have been many people/organisation's calling for a boycott of the Olympics for various reasons. Firstly earlier in the year Russia caused controversy with it bill on gay rights. Then there's lots of criticism regarding the countries human rights record, so it was perhaps to be expected that there would be demonstrations even if no one could have predicted bomb attacks.

As I said though, the Russian's will have expected protests and with a watching world I'm sure that security for everyone attending the games will be second to none. I wouldn't worry.

Â