Rate Lamberts Signings

donnie

Guzan, Vlaar and Benteke look his only genuinely good signings now. Okore will probably prove to be also but I can't presume he will. 

The rest range from average to outright dire. 

So the more expensive ones are some of the best. No shock there, (14m for those combined).

12 players remaining.. 26m spent, averaging around 2.1m each, you don't buy quality for that.

And Laudrup has spent around £39m on 19 players, averaging £2m each. Also, what about his £7m marquee signing this summer? 

And Laudrup has been in Swansea as long as Lambert has been in Aston Villa. He took over a team that finishes 11 in the 2011/2012 who had a stable foundation in the playing style after Rodgers. Laudrup has the same philosophy as Rodgers, so the transition is quite smooth. As opposed to Lambert, who took over after McLeish and had to cut costs and rebuilt. 

And Laudrup has managed to get one more point than Lambert this season.

BTW, this summer Laudrup paid 12 million pounds for Bony and 5 mill for Shelvey

His first summer window he did reasonably well 

2nd window has been something of a car crash I'm afraid.

Ive been trying to fathom the reason why.....one theory is the players he went for in the first window, ie Westwood, Lowton, Benteke for example - we all playing well - albeit in lesser leagues - where as from what I can gather Tonev, Bacuna, weren't much loved by the clubs we brought them from. As I have mentioned on more than one occasion to start the season with only 1 experienced CB was asking for trouble - esp as said CB has previous injury problems - Lambert has now done this 2 seasons in a row.

Bacuna can't play football. Every time i see him he has that dead giveaway hunched-over look of someone who can't control a ball. 

His free kicks have been great, but it masks his open play which is nothing short of shite. 2/10

A bit harsh. hopefully that area of his game will improve. i think on the right wing he could do some damage with that pace. 

Bacuna can't play football. Every time i see him he has that dead giveaway hunched-over look of someone who can't control a ball. 

His free kicks have been great, but it masks his open play which is nothing short of shite. 2/10

A bit harsh. hopefully that area of his game will improve. i think on the right wing he could do some damage with that pace.

Maybe, but I have to say that I don't see any creativity or offensive instinct in him. I would continue using him as an all rounder filling in where there's a need. RB mostly still, especially if Lowton doesn't improve again.

Guzan - Hit.

Vlaar - Hit

Bennett - Miss - Wouldn't mind giving him a chance on the left wing if we could get a very good defender behind him,

Luna - Miss 

Okore - No seen enough to judge.

Lowton - Hit/Miss - If he can rekindle the form of last season can be a Hit again.

Westwood - Hit - I think with the right players around him, but at present still on the fence.

Bacuna - On the fence - Willing to give him more time.

Tonev - Honestly don't have a clue what he is doing at the club. Maybe something will click, but is really hard to judge him when the rest of the team are bad also.

El Ahmadi - Hit as a squad player, but certainly wouldn't have been my first signing.

Benteke - Hit - Will come good again, but probably will be at another club.

Kozak - On the fence - With the right service from the wing, and playing another forward with him, then he could very well be a hit.

Helenius - Not seen enough to judge.

Edited by villianusa

A bit harsh. hopefully that area of his game will improve. i think on the right wing he could do some damage with that pace

Yeah, to the corner flag.

He's put together the worst midfield I've ever seen at Villa:

Ashley Westwood - useless, looks every bit the League 1 player that he is.

Sylla - woeful, one of the few French players I've seen who can't pass a ball to save his life

KEA - as much use as tits on a nun.  Doesn't do anything well, and does most things badly.

Tonev - the worst player I've ever seen in a Villa shirt bar none.

The midfield is the heart beat of any side, and for a side to have just over a quarter of the possession AT HOME, against another struggling side is beyond pathetic.

Guzan, Vlaar and Benteke look his only genuinely good signings now. Okore will probably prove to be also but I can't presume he will. 

The rest range from average to outright dire.

So the more expensive ones are some of the best. No shock there, (14m for those combined).

12 players remaining.. 26m spent, averaging around 2.1m each, you don't buy quality for that.

And Laudrup has spent around £39m on 19 players, averaging £2m each. Also, what about his £7m marquee signing this summer? 

And Laudrup has been in Swansea as long as Lambert has been in Aston Villa. He took over a team that finishes 11 in the 2011/2012 who had a stable foundation in the playing style after Rodgers. Laudrup has the same philosophy as Rodgers, so the transition is quite smooth. As opposed to Lambert, who took over after McLeish and had to cut costs and rebuilt. 

And lots of our squad still consists of players Lambert inherited so the idea that he had no foundation to start with is nonsense. Also, how does the Bony fee change anything regarding his total and average spend? He spent as much on Bony and Michu as we spent on Benteke and Kozak.

And are you seriously saying that £5m Shelvey is beyond us?

Lambert has the same philosophy as McLeish, what's your point?

Lambert has the same philosophy as McLeish, what's your point?

If you only look at the first half of this year and ignore the rest of Lamberts career, then your statement is correct.

Not every signing will be great especially if you have the budget Lambert currently has. He has to take a few risks with signings.

Couldn't he have taken a risk on our youngsters then rather then other club's youngsters? He could've then actually spent his money on trying to improve the first team. 

Who from our youngsters would you have put in the first team last season?

Not every signing will be great especially if you have the budget Lambert currently has. He has to take a few risks with signings.

Couldn't he have taken a risk on our youngsters then rather then other club's youngsters? He could've then actually spent his money on trying to improve the first team. 

Baker and Wiemann are two problems for us right now, we don't have fantastic youth players as some think.

Not fantastic no.  But our youth could have been used, saving money to get 'better quality' elsewhere.  Using Grealish instead of Tonev,  Having Burke, Drennan or Robinson on the bench, instead of Bowery or Kozak for example.  Although I think Kozak has a decent record, just doing this would have saved close to £8-10mill. To sign that 'Van Der Vaart' type signing which excites the fans and wins you games.

Why on earth would Lambert not pick our academy players if they were ready? Do you watch the academy or youth games? We have no-one ready for the PL at the moment

There is a groundswell of support for Grealish at the moment based on a couple of eye-catching goals for Notts County. Hopefully he will be a great player for us in the (near) future but at the moment he is learning his trade - not ready for the premeir league

I would say aside from Tekkers and Ron, not many teams would be include any other players Lambert has signed in their first elevens, maybe Kozak and Bacuna would get in their squads.

Good

Benteke - awesome player (if last season wasn't a fluke) note how our best player is also the most expensive

Vlaar - took a while to come into his own, but considering the quality of defenders he's had around him - i'd say he's a pretty decent signing 

Promising

Bacuna - for what he cost I think he is a good signing who can fill a number of roles and take some decent set pieces

(Could put Okore here also I guess)

Reasonable

Westwood - would be ok as a squad player but should not be the back bone of our midfield

Lowton - a little like Westwood - fairly decent but shouldn't start every week

Kozak - too early to judge really but by no means bad

Average

Bennett - would still like to see more of him but maybe not at left back

Luna - no better than Bennett but may still adjust and improve

Sylla - I like him but after recent performances it's hard to work out why he was signed

KEA - Not beyond redemption but is a pretty basic workhorse

Useless

Tonev - might get better....... maybe?

Bowery - if he was any good he would be starting by now

Who knows?

Okore - what we saw was good

Helenius - what we saw looked reasonable

Oh FFS

For me.

Good...obviously CB, Vlaar, Brad.

Potentially good....Sylla, Bacuna, Bennett, Okores.

Squad fillers...Kozak,Tonev, KEA

Not good enough...Westwood, Lowton, Luna

For me Sylla last year against Chelsk, showed me what a good player he could become, somethings happened to him, he has definately gone backwards, KEA played very well against Arse and Chelsk, squad player though.Bennett has pace, good feet , lacks strength and concentration.

Don't start me off on Westwood.

How on earth is Tonev better than Westwood or Lowton?  Not only is he the worst player in the squad, he's the worst player I've seen in a Villa shirt.  Not that Westwood is any good of course, he isn't, but Tonev is even worse.

I have'nt seen enough o Tonev to make my mind up tbh.He has good feet, is quick, and enthusiastic, have to say any young player coming in atm would struggle, add to that hes foreign and does'nt talk the language, then the problems are just compounded.I suppose you could argue that i am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Who from our youngsters would you have put in the first team last season?

Not this again! We went over this before and you believe Tonev is of a 'completely different standard' to the likes of Grealish and Robinson. I don't need to expand on that really...

Â