• El Ahmadi (for Bacuna 70)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 79)
  2. 2. Manager's tactics

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Looked ok for the first 20 mins and then the panic mode set in, Hoof ball after that and no direction from the sidelines.The coaches are acting like parents in the mini league  blinded by their little boys lack of ability. Reminded me of all those school games when you had to pick sides and the useless kids were left last, We got all those kids that was left. Gumps the lot of them. 

How the hell are we still 13th, we have have won 5 games all season? Sunderland is a big game now. A few weeks back it looked very winnable. Now I would be happy with a point.

Fortunately, every team below 9th/10th is unbelievably inconsistent

The way Swansea played today were taught, today the Villa played today was taught. The movement of the Swansea players was something they have been at the training ground. The lack of movement and communication with Villa players is something that is taught on the training ground. This is the responsibility of the coaching team, that are headed up by the respective managers.

Laudrup  has been  able to build on the foundation of the previous managers. He purchases players that will enhance the performance of the team. Lambert has thrown his house in on two tall center forwards, that may possible muscle teams into submission.  You could see the Swansea players were comfortable playing the ball on the ground, and moving into open space. Villa players did not look comfortable until Kozak came on, and they could put their head down, and lump the ball up to the big man.

This is the difference between the two sides playing today. Swansea train to keep possession, wear opposition players down, and take the chance when they become available. For me, it looks like Villa train to lump the ball forward, and hope a knock down goes to one of our forwards. Sadly, our other attacking are so deep they have no chance to support Kozak, or when he was fit Benteke. This tactic gives the ball back to the opposition so often, and to coin a Lambert phrase, “They go again.”

I’m not saying which tactics are right or wrong, because they both can work, but if you don’t have players can support the tactics, then you will fail. We are failing because except for the big man up top the other ten players are to deep. If Lambert is going  to continue to play this way then he has to gamble by keeping another player up at all times. It is usually big verses two to three defenders. This leaves us with nine against seven of their outfield players, and we still can’t keep possession. We have to put the under pressure in their defense third, we tried this at the start of the first half today, but sadly fell back into bad habits.

I do have quite a bit of a background in coaching. I spent two years studying for my UEFA “A” license, before I met my wife and moved to the USA. I have coached now for over twenty years, just to let you know I do have a bit of knowledge concerning what goes on at the training ground. The tactics/pattern of play should have been sorted pre-season, along with the fitness. Tinkering should be taking place during the season. The problem is the players still haven’t got a clue what they are supposed to be doing, and this is shown in their lack of confidence and poor performance.

No matter where the players have come from they wouldn’t be playing at a professional level if they didn’t know the basics. I am talking about passing, communication, and finding space. Can anyone after watching the game today say our players were doing that? Sorry HH if you read this, but that lays with the coaching team, which was also recruited by Mr. Lambert.

Not saying Lambert has to be the greatest tactician as long as he has other strengths, but he better have people around him who can do that, and not just give a job to the “good ole boys.” He needs to decide on his tactics, get the players back out on the training ground, and get it sorted. He needs to give the players the opportunity to work by balancing out the transition from defense to attack, because at the moment that is the team's biggest weakness.

Sorry for such a long post, but I had to get this off my chest. I’m praying for a New Year’s resolution for a change or tactics, or at least to stop hearing, “We go again.”

P.S. My wife asked me after the game, "Did they win?" I told her we had tied the game. She must have watched for a few minutes over my shoulder, because she then said, "Yeah, the bit that I watched they couldn't keep the ball." My wife has not watched 15 minutes of a game in her life, yet it was still obvious to her.

• Like 2

MIdfield midfield midfield.

They utterly dominated the middle of the park. We've got Delph who's okay and then you pick as many crappy leftovers as you like. Tonev is mystifyingly poor, he wasn't involved today, and when he was, I wished he wasn't. Bacuna was competent, just. Westwood is terrible, no energy, no mobility and no drive - apparently he can pass a ball - that'll come in handy if we ever get one. He's as limited a midfielder as I've seen at Villa Park in years.

The substitution of Kozak for Tonev was the right thing to do, it disrupted our front line, and it allowed us to go route one, which made us one dimensional and poor, but at least it resulted in a reduction of the turd to Delph ratio from 3:1 to 2:1.

Our back four aren't great, but compared to our midfield, they're Italy 86. I say back four, I think someone told Lowton it was a five as he played incredibly narrow for the whole game, allowing them to come at us almost unopposed down the left flank. Still, at least you had a fair idea where he was, which compared to Luna on the other side was something of a relief. 

The two centre halves did okay I thought, they look a bit clumsy at times and neither of them are going to be Beckenbauer, but they gave it a go.

Guzan remains a big yellow symbol of competency.

Gabby was good, particularly when he was allowed to play up front, he took his goal well, even though he had time to think about it, which isn't always the best thing and he's the nearest we've got to someone who'll get the others going.

Weimann started well but ran out of energy after about half an hour, probably due to having to cover for our missing midfield, I still think he can contribute, although he's clearly short on confidence.

Our current 4-Delph-2 formation won't win us anything, a 4-Delph-3 formation is a little better, but until we can get some help into that midfield we're in the brown stuff. El Ahmadi is our second best midfielder. I think that's probably more a definition of the  problem rather than the solution.

We need three midfielders and a left back.

Swansea played some nice stuff, but didn't look particularly threatening - we're made for them, we get no pressure on the ball and we don't really either try to stop you having it or want to keep it ourselves - they still didn't win, which must be desperately disappointing for them.

Ho hum.

Good post in general although I would add a centre half to the list. 

Today wasn't pretty but at least it stopped the rot. It wasn't the hammering some drama queen predicted but the players are clearly lacking in confidence hence why the decision making is poor. 

Again sections of the crowd chose to boo at half time - hardly likely to instill confidence is it? Weimann is this season's scapegoat despite assisting Gabby's goal. No wonder we are better away from home.

The way Swansea played today were taught, today the Villa played today was taught. The movement of the Swansea players was something they have been at the training ground. The lack of movement and communication with Villa players is something that is taught on the training ground. This is the responsibility of the coaching team, that are headed up by the respective managers.

Laudrup  has been  able to build on the foundation of the previous managers. He purchases players that will enhance the performance of the team. Lambert has thrown his house in on two tall center forwards, that may possible muscle teams into submission.  You could see the Swansea players were comfortable playing the ball on the ground, and moving into open space. Villa players did not look comfortable until Kozak came on, and they could put their head down, and lump the ball up to the big man.

This is the difference between the two sides playing today. Swansea train to keep possession, wear opposition players down, and take the chance when they become available. For me, it looks like Villa train to lump the ball forward, and hope a knock down goes to one of our forwards. Sadly, our other attacking are so deep they have no chance to support Kozak, or when he was fit Benteke. This tactic gives the ball back to the opposition so often, and to coin a Lambert phrase, “They go again.”

I’m not saying which tactics are right or wrong, because they both can work, but if you don’t have players can support the tactics, then you will fail. We are failing because except for the big man up top the other ten players are to deep. If Lambert is going  to continue to play this way then he has to gamble by keeping another player up at all times. It is usually big verses two to three defenders. This leaves us with nine against seven of their outfield players, and we still can’t keep possession. We have to put the under pressure in their defense third, we tried this at the start of the first half today, but sadly fell back into bad habits.

I do have quite a bit of a background in coaching. I spent two years studying for my UEFA “A” license, before I met my wife and moved to the USA. I have coached now for over twenty years, just to let you know I do have a bit of knowledge concerning what goes on at the training ground. The tactics/pattern of play should have been sorted pre-season, along with the fitness. Tinkering should be taking place during the season. The problem is the players still haven’t got a clue what they are supposed to be doing, and this is shown in their lack of confidence and poor performance.

No matter where the players have come from they wouldn’t be playing at a professional level if they didn’t know the basics. I am talking about passing, communication, and finding space. Can anyone after watching the game today say our players were doing that? Sorry HH if you read this, but that lays with the coaching team, which was also recruited by Mr. Lambert.

Not saying Lambert has to be the greatest tactician as long as he has other strengths, but he better have people around him who can do that, and not just give a job to the “good ole boys.” He needs to decide on his tactics, get the players back out on the training ground, and get it sorted. He needs to give the players the opportunity to work by balancing out the transition from defense to attack, because at the moment that is the team's biggest weakness.

Sorry for such a long post, but I had to get this off my chest. I’m praying for a New Year’s resolution for a change or tactics, or at least to stop hearing, “We go again.”

P.S. My wife asked me after the game, "Did they win?" I told her we had tied the game. She must have watched for a few minutes over my shoulder, because she then said, "Yeah, the bit that I watched they couldn't keep the ball." My wife has not watched 15 minutes of a game in her life, yet it was still obvious to her.

yet they all had the play but hit the target 3 times like we did, sometimes they over play it

yet they all had the play but hit the target 3 times like we did, sometimes they over play it

Oh I don't disagree, but this has happened all season, and in most games teams have had more shots on goal. They did though have way more attempts on goals, and they do that by keeping possession. Never said they had the best shooters in the league.

"Can't fault there effort". .. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh the wife can't fault my effort in bed but I still don't make her cum 

Like Villa, too reliant on route one perthaps?

Like Villa, lacks decent penetration.

Truly relegation form at the moment, we are being bouyed up by the fact that there are teams below us incapable of even the occassional upset.

Teams below us get a change of mentality or a lucky buy in January and we are in the shit.

Another injury, Guzan out for instance and we are again in the shit.

Right now, in all probability we'll likely stay up courtesy of others superior shitness. But that's no way for my Aston Villa to drag its sorry arse through life.

• Like 1

Just a quick word about pre kick off. What happened to knocking the ball about a bit , passing to one. Bother, actually warming up those 5 mins before kick off ? Now all our lads do is stand around waiting to do that ridiculous group hug thing. God knows what they say in that huddle ? It's bloody pathetic.

"Can't fault there effort". .. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh the wife can't fault my effort in bed but I still don't make her cum 

Like Villa, too reliant on route one perthaps?

Like Villa, lacks decent penetration.

Truly relegation form at the moment, we are being bouyed up by the fact that there are teams below us incapable of even the occassional upset.

Teams below us get a change of mentality or a lucky buy in January and we are in the shit.

Another injury, Guzan out for instance and we are again in the shit.

Right now, in all probability we'll likely stay up courtesy of others superior shitness. But that's no way for my Aston Villa to drag its sorry arse through life.

Currently, there are not 3 teams playing worse than us.

Â