The R word

villanwesty88

No, but you might be the only one on here that removes words from people's posts so that it reads as you want it to read.

I don't do that anyway.
I'm with you mantis, gotta love the perverse logic of people wanting to see people (our own players) fail just so they can be proved right about the 'fat word removed'

Who wants to see our own players fail?

If a spurt of Grant Holt goals convinced Lambert to keep him as our first striker next season would you be happy with that?

I think people are expressing concern that they can see Lambert doing just that. In fact, I can see it coming a mile off.

• Like 2

If a spurt of Grant Holt goals convinced Lambert to keep him as our first striker next season would you be happy with that?

I think people are expressing concern that they can see Lambert doing just that. In fact, I can see it coming a mile off.

It's simply not going to happen though. I don't know where people have got this from.

Then people should express their concern at that, rather than hope that he "doesn't do too well".

Edited by Mantis

It's simply not going to happen though. I don't know where people have got this from.

Then people should express their concern at that, rather than hope that he "doesn't do too well".

I hope you are right Mantis. Obviously we all want our team to stay up, but if Holt does really well and gets 3 or 4 goals then I will worry that the club will sign him and Lambert will be hard pushed to get any money out of Lerner for another striker. It would be nice if Gabby and Andi could get us some goals in the next few games. 

I hope you are right Mantis. Obviously we all want our team to stay up, but if Holt does really well and gets 3 or 4 goals then I will worry that the club will sign him and Lambert will be hard pushed to get any money out of Lerner for another striker. It would be nice if Gabby and Andi could get us some goals in the next few games. 

Is that really likely though?

Honestly, I think if it wasn't a player Lambert had a previous relationship with I don't think anybody would have these worries.

If Grant Holt scores another 3 or 4 goals in the remaining 6 games and overall performs as he did on Saturday then I'd personally have no problems with him being here for a while longer.

Saturday may have been a flash in the pan but hopefully he can offer more of the same and those around him can up their games.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Has it crossed your mind that A, There isn't going to be a spurt of Grant Holt goals, and B, if there was to be then maybe it WOULD be worth keeping him! Who wouldn't want a striker that scores lots of goals.

The logic in this is quite simply a bit nuts.

Edited by One For The Road

Has it crossed your mind that A, There isn't going to be a spurt of Grant Holt goals, and B, if there was to be then maybe it WOULD be worth keeping him! Who wouldn't want a striker that scores lots of goals.

The logic in this is quite simply a bit nuts.

A - Yes it has crossed my mind and I consider it unlikely, yet obviously possible.

B - I didn't question the logic to keep him, I asked if people would be happy with him as our FIRST striker.

Would you?

A front two of Kozak and Holt with Gabby and Weimann on the wings, it will be like Bradford 2nd half all next season.

I think most of us actually want to see us attempt to play some decent possession based football next year so thank Holt for his contribution and send him back to Wigan come May.

• Like 1

The thought of us signing Holt permanently makes me realise just how low we have sunk.  Nothing against him but we have to be setting our sights a bit higher. 

I think that's just hyperbole. Firstly, it's unlikely we will sign Holt permanently. He was only brought in in the first place because Kozak broke his leg. Secondly, if we did sign Holt permanently then it would likely be because he's performed very well and scored a lot of goals, in which case, what's wrong with signing a player that plays well and scores goals?

He's what 32 now and is thought to be earning in excess of 20k at Wigan so I thought we were moving away from that type. That and there's no point signing him and then sacking Lambert as I doubt too many other managers would be signing him in a hurry.

Kozak will be back for pre season so he can fill the targetman role and chip in with goals, we don't need Holt as Benteke will also be back at some stage next season.

We need more creativity and guile upfront ( a younger version of Robbie Keane would be nice), not more 6ft + targetman to hoof the ball up to. The performance v Fulham wasn't good btw even if Holt played well. I just wouldn't trust our players not to hoof the ball up to him.

I liken this to a bit when Rodgers inherited Carroll at Liverpool, He could've easily given Carroll a chance as he had ended the previous season very well (cup final) but Rodgers felt he would be detrimental to the the possession based football he wanted to play so he was out the door.

At no point in the season have we been faced with the realistic prospect of relegation.

jW6jaEI.gif

we started so well....

in all seriousness.. the story of our season... up and down up and down. Just when you think its all over we bounce back. Just when we get a great result and will kick on we fall.

I am expecting a win against Palace now.

Still can't see us going down based on the fact that we need 4 of the teams below us to finish above us, and the fixtures are as follows:

Villa: Southampton (h), Swansea (a), Hull (h), City (a), Spurs (h) - 34 points // -14 GD
Swansea: Chelsea (h), Newcastle (a), Villa (h), Southampton (h), Sunderland (a) - 33 points // -4 GD
WBA: City (a), West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Sunderland (a), Stoke (h) - 33 points // -11 GD
Norwich: Liverpool (h), Man Utd (a), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (h) - 32 points // -27 GD
Fulham: Spurs (a), Hull (h), Stoke (a), Palace (h) - 30 points // -49 GD
Cardiff: Stoke (h), Sunderland (a), Newcastle (a), Chelsea (h) - 29 points // -34 GD
Sunderland: City (a), Chelsea (a), Cardiff (h), Man Udt (a), WBA (h), Swansea (h) - 25 points // -25 GD

I can't really see any possibility how 4 teams below us pass us out given those fixtures. Most of them are either playing the top teams or each other.
Edited by P3te