What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I approve of the no onions part.

my wife doesn't eat them, out right detests them, to the extent that sauce jar cooking has pretty much gone for me, cant use pattaks for example, made a big difference to how I cook, I've eaten them obviously but I haven't bought and chopped an onion myself in over 2 years now

it was the king of packing out food, great for dieting, a small pack of low fat mince meat and a good sized onion can make a big bowl of chilli or spag bol (minus the spaghetti...)

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my wife doesn't eat them, out right detests them, to the extent that sauce jar cooking has pretty much gone for me, cant use pattaks for example, made a big difference to how I cook, I've eaten them obviously but I haven't bought and chopped an onion myself in over 2 years now

it was the king of packing out food, great for dieting, a small pack of low fat mince meat and a good sized onion can make a big bowl of chilli or spag bol (minus the spaghetti...)

I can eat onions if they're well cooked in a sauce or something. Even caramelised I can handle.

I think it's more the texture and sharpness I don't like. The less cooked the worse they are. Raw onion in a salad is **** vile.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can eat onions if they're well cooked in a sauce or something. Even caramelised I can handle.

I think it's more the texture and sharpness I don't like. The less cooked the worse they are. Raw onion in a salad is **** vile.

A bit of red onion on a cheese sandwich with crusty bloomer bread and proper salted butter is delightful. I go the other way and find the more they are cooked The more I dislike the texture and find them quite slimy

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

A bit of red onion on a cheese sandwich with crusty bloomer bread and proper salted butter is delightful.

Sounds delicious without the onion.

The onion renders it inedible.

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Onion is possibly my favourite vegetable. Always loved the taste. Stronger the better. 

They are the simplest thing to grow, and weirdly, even though they are silly cheap in the shops we try every year to be self sufficient in onions (and garlic) which we never quite manage. We’re on a shop bought bag of onions right now.

There aren’t many meals in this house that aren’t bulked up with a bit of onion. We’ve got a bowl on the worktop that has onions, garlic and ginger in it, always just in reach.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They are the simplest thing to grow, and weirdly, even though they are silly cheap in the shops we try every year to be self sufficient in onions (and garlic) which we never quite manage. We’re on a shop bought bag of onions right now.

There aren’t many meals in this house that aren’t bulked up with a bit of onion. We’ve got a bowl on the worktop that has onions, garlic and ginger in it, always just in reach.

I was in my early 20s before I knowingly had garlic. (Caveats, curry bought from a takeaway aside) now we get through 2 or 3 bulbs a week. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Booked my (our) first Michelin star restaurant experience for the Mrs' birthday.

Is it fine to be a little bit daunted? 

hungry feed me GIF

Don’t be daunted mate, just be you! 👍

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Booked my (our) first Michelin star restaurant experience for the Mrs' birthday.

Is it fine to be a little bit daunted? 

Done a couple and then also a few that were chasing stars and a few more bistros and cheaper eateries owned by Michelin star chefs

There's a lot of negativity around them but I think it's misplaced, they aren't necessarily expensive, there's a good range and lots of special offers and then obviously the portion size

What I found at say purnells is I got an amuse bouche, I then got some bread, I then had a 3 course meal, all of it was perfectly portioned, none of this "I'm not sure I've got room for a pudding" stuff, the pudding was incredible he wants you to enjoy eating it and the richness is deceiving, it looks small but it's filling

My main take away from all of them is that fat running through a piece of meat that is then cooked in a water bath might be the greatest eating pleasure in the world 

Edit - and the biggest difference between a Michelin star restaurant and one chasing a star 

Spoiler

The table service

At purnells it was mind blowing how much of a step up it is, its an experience itself 

Edited by villa4europe

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Done a couple and then also a few that were chasing stars and a few more bistros and cheaper eateries owned by Michelin star chefs

There's a lot of negativity around them but I think it's misplaced, they aren't necessarily expensive, there's a good range and lots of special offers and then obviously the portion size

What I found at say purnells is I got an amuse bouche, I then got some bread, I then had a 3 course meal, all of it was perfectly portioned, none of this "I'm not sure I've got room for a pudding" stuff, the pudding was incredible he wants you to enjoy eating it and the richness is deceiving, it looks small but it's filling

My main take away from all of them is that fat running through a piece of meat that is then cooked in a water bath might be the greatest eating pleasure in the world 

Edit - and the biggest difference between a Michelin star restaurant and one chasing a star 

Hide contents

The table service

At purnells it was mind blowing how much of a step up it is, its an experience itself 

He's a nose is'nt he?

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah thats the downside to him, he's a big nose

Man can cook though and does a lot to promote the region, his bistro does an awesome Sunday dinner 

been to the bistro and can concur it is very good. Ginger's bar does a pretty decent cocktail as well!

For me, what puts me off tasting menus/Michelin stars is that I can be quick a fussy eater and I worry that I will get something that I will have absolutely no desire to eat. When are you booked @StefanAVFC and is it anywhere we would know?

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

been to the bistro and can concur it is very good. Ginger's bar does a pretty decent cocktail as well!

For me, what puts me off tasting menus/Michelin stars is that I can be quick a fussy eater and I worry that I will get something that I will have absolutely no desire to eat. When are you booked @StefanAVFC and is it anywhere we would know?

It's called Bottiglieria 1881. It just got the Michelin Star this year. It's a 5 course tasting menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Baked lamb curry, butternut squash curry side, pilau rice and naan bread all made with my fair hands - delicious!

now totally sated and slumped on the sofa watching a bag of shit film, The Mountain Between Us.

My dinner deserved better...

• Like 1

Some absolutely amazing mussels in "On the Rocks ' in Torquay. Drove down today, stopped for breakfast at Gloucester south, everyone was being sensible, socially distancing. Really well thought out. 

Torquay is busy, but again where we are people are being sensible about it. 

It's so good that we've booked for tomorrow night as well!! 

Â