What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

End of last summer our Gas BBQ packed in and we threw it out a couple of months ago expecting to get a new one for this summer.  Then the lockdown happened and I haven't been able to get one (I'm not going to pay megabucks for a big brand name). 

So today I got the old charcoal BBQ out and had and old skool BBQ.  Haven't used it in years. 

I have to say I actually found it more controllable and easer to cook on than the Gas.  If it overheats and starts flaming, move the grill right up to the top. 

The Gas one even though you can turn it up or down still basically starts flaming up at the meat which is on a fixed grill immediately above the burners even on low setting once the fat starts falling into the flames. 

OK it's a fair amount of hassle getting it going and disposing of the used charcoal and you get covered in smoke but I definitely got better food out of it. 

Then again maybe it's my fault for not forking out on more expensive gas BBQs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

End of last summer our Gas BBQ packed in and we threw it out a couple of months ago expecting to get a new one for this summer.  Then the lockdown happened and I haven't been able to get one (I'm not going to pay megabucks for a big brand name). 

So today I got the old charcoal BBQ out and had and old skool BBQ.  Haven't used it in years. 

I have to say I actually found it more controllable and easer to cook on than the Gas.  If it overheats and starts flaming, move the grill right up to the top. 

The Gas one even though you can turn it up or down still basically starts flaming up at the meat which is on a fixed grill immediately above the burners even on low setting once the fat starts falling into the flames. 

OK it's a fair amount of hassle getting it going and disposing of the used charcoal and you get covered in smoke but I definitely got better food out of it. 

Then again maybe it's my fault for not forking out on more expensive gas BBQs. 

BBQs have to be charcoal for me. A gas one is just an outdoor oven. 

• Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 10:10, wazzap24 said:

Digbeth Dining Club are doing click and collect. 

It was all great, but The Street Souvlaki Kebab was elite. 

A7EA0229-6180-4A8F-9EE4-3BBD5D3FD4A9.jpeg

Went yesterday too! Went for the yardbird 3 piece chicken and a slice of the chocolate fudge brownie urban cheesecake. The other half went for that yardbird burger you’ve got in the photo.

Yeah didn’t last long enough for a photo! :D 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 09:14, It's Your Round said:

Curry last night, I prefer to make my own from scratch but if I can’t be arsed then I can highly recommend these beauties...

Same here, Spice Taylor kits are very good

• Like 1

Pickled herring (1 mustard and 1 leek flavored), homegrown salad and chives. Spuds are not ready yet so I cheated and bought these. And a lager, because it's hot.

Spring/Summer bliss

image.thumb.png.64a11b6629525d15af541a0ac16b064a.png

Edited by Tegis
pic-problems
  • Like 1

Any VTers tried these kits ? Am tired of using pataks and after once hitting the spot making my own one from scratch using spices etc, i haven't been able to recreate it :

Screenshot_20200531-121504_Photos.jpg

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Went yesterday too! Went for the yardbird 3 piece chicken and a slice of the chocolate fudge brownie urban cheesecake. The other half went for that yardbird burger you’ve got in the photo.

Yeah didn’t last long enough for a photo! :D 

They’ve done a great job with it haven’t they? 

Really good system, no messing about and the food is great. 

was really impressed with the whole thing to be fair. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

They’ve done a great job with it haven’t they? 

Really good system, no messing about and the food is great. 

was really impressed with the whole thing to be fair. 

Food has always been great, just glad it’s found away to keep going!

• Like 1

I've bought some Chilli flakes because I'm going to make some Potato Bravas. But just had some beans on toast.  I did my usual large dose of Worcester sauce on top to pep them up but then also sprinkled a few Chilli flakes on top in addition.  Wow, talk about a transformation. Definitely my new favourite way to do beans on toast. 

Keep it real people. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've bought some Chilli flakes because I'm going to make some Potato Bravas. But just had some beans on toast.  I did my usual large dose of Worcester sauce on top to pep them up but then also sprinkled a few Chilli flakes on top in addition.  Wow, talk about a transformation. Definitely my new favourite way to do beans on toast. 

Keep it real people. 

Better still, stir the chilli flakes in to the beans when heating them. Or.....melt a load of jalapeno cheese on top of the beans on toast.

You can thank me later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had German chilli con carne last night for the 1st time

Chilli is one of my favourite meals, they don't put onions in it, they did however put sweetcorn in it, like 30 - 40% sweetcorn... So much that it flavoured the sauce and changed the texture 

Not sure how they can get it so wrong 

28 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

When they open I am having fish chips mushy peas curry sauce pickled onion pickled egg bread-and-butter

Good work Follyfoot, correctly no mention of gravy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wife’s birthday today

breakfast:

pancakes

lunch:

bacon and Brie baguettes

starter:

prawn on toast, crispy wontons and crispy duck Pancakes

main:

indo-Chinese sweet and sour chicken with shrimp fried rice and prawn crackers

pudding: