Football winter break, will it ever happen?

Jimzk5

• 5 years later...
16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Parking the English tradition on the head 

The appetite for it here is seemingly huge, with no other football going I'd guess the market is right there for them and they won't ever knock it on the head 

It's another reason why the PL is so big 

I think the 2 week break teams now get in January was the compromise to keep your Peps and Klopps happy (or less miserable should I say)

3 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I think the 2 week break teams now get in January was the compromise to keep your Peps and Klopps happy (or less miserable should I say)

Yeah and it's staggered so that there's still some football on which actually makes some sense 

I dont think they'll ever stop Christmas football unless the TV audience shrinks which I don't see why it would, instead you have amazon pushing it in the opposite direction and trying to get more football on 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2013 at 20:55, VillaChris said:

Why do people always assume a winter break has to happen over xmas out of interest? Surely it's a bit dangerous to wipe out 4 fixtures in this period meaning you'd have to fit them in at sometime other in the season which is dangerous given how congested the calendar already is and the risk of bad weather striking later in the season.

I say yes to a winter break but right after the fa cup 3rd round for two weeks. In that period you miss one round of premier league games (start the season a week early or fit another midweek round in), carling cup semis (play them in February) and 3rd round replays which you could play on resumption.

The lower leagues would just carry on as normal so I'm sure would mean attendances boosts for people who want their football fix.

It just amuses me people automatically assume a winter break has to happen over xmas when mid of January is more logical for the way the English season operates.

Pretty much what actually happens.

They'd never do it over xmas and they've actually tweaked it now so there's no double header of games within 48 hours and just three rounds compared to the usual four.

Split weekend drags a bit but it's probably the best working solution.

On 27/12/2023 at 18:59, villa4europe said:

Yeah and it's staggered so that there's still some football on which actually makes some sense 

I dont think they'll ever stop Christmas football unless the TV audience shrinks which I don't see why it would, instead you have amazon pushing it in the opposite direction and trying to get more football on 

True, but on the last point it's worth noting Amazon have lost/given up all their rights in the latest deal. 

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

American TV viewership numbers for soccer are a total humiliation for MLS, and they deserve every ounce of it.

Putting this here as this is what I meant, take away the negative slant on the MLS I would say it represents a very positive picture for the PL and their Christmas scheduling, would be interesting to see more viewing data, I'm guessing it's a huge increase from say 9 days in September too, it works and they won't get rid of it

Â