is it time for a new owner?

Dodgyknees

I think we are full of wishful thinking.

Having had the misfortune of witnessing HDE's reign...I am now full of mixed feelings.

They both have/had their failings for different reasons, but is there worse out there,? I think so.

I have a very jaundice view of the motives of prospective owners, so I will stick with what we have for now.

To make the difference for what we are looking for, we need a man that has a personal fortune that eclipses Lerner and that will negate a complete programme of hit and miss in terms of signing good quality players if history is anything to go by.

If this man is prepared to give Paul Lambert the chance to prove that the others didn't know what they were doing....then I will go with a new owner.

Happy hunting!!!

Edited by TRO

I agree with those who mention it was at the time he let Mcleish come on board that he should have walked. He clearly doesn't appreciate this great club and has stayed away ever since the General disappeared and the 5 year plan petered out. He has given us some great times and been a fairly decent owner but he just isn't a football man and that shows in his decision making. The sad thing about modern football is that the sustainable business model just doesn't deliver a product that the fans want, the club needs and in the case of premier league clubs - the institution demands.

If the business is now stripped back, debt free and financially efficient I would suspect Randy would be able to sell and I'd be happy if he did. Bring in anyone who cares, even a Sheikh or Russian oil billionaire so long as it makes us relevant again.

Be careful what you wish for. Imagine us being owned by some Malaysian mobster who decides we should play in orange shirts and be called the Birmingham Typhoons?

I look at some of these other clubs and strain to understand how their supporters get out of bed in the morning.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

In all honesty I would have to hear what the man says on the subject to form a proper judgement.

Once a good manager and CEO are in place I have only ever seen them as a sugar daddy..... Sorry for my unsophisticated view.

He has made a few cock ups I suspect.......who hasn't.

Ps glad it was all his money that bought the shite and not mine.

Just being devils advocate.

Paul Lambert to Randy :  Benteke wants a pay increase , looking for £54k per week .... clubs are showing an interest and we will struggle to hold on to him.

Randy to Lambert :        We are just in the middle of a major repair job of this kind and the austerity programme dictates a ceiling of 20k per week.

Lambert to Randy ;         I undersatnd that boss but he is a special player to us and is integral to the success of our club.... we have to show ambition.

Randy takes advice from his varying lobbyists at the club and reluctantly agrees.... we sign our star player.

currently ( this season)-  Naive Randy says to Paul Lambert " where's all the goals, then now our star player has got what he wants....erm,erm,erm

Randy to Paul Lambert " nothing **** changes does it"

Paul Lambert to Randy :  Benteke wants a pay increase , looking for £54k per week .... clubs are showing an interest and we will struggle to hold on to him.

Randy to Lambert :        We are just in the middle of a major repair job of this kind and the austerity programme dictates a ceiling of 20k per week.

Lambert to Randy ;         I undersatnd that boss but he is a special player to us and is integral to the success of our club.... we have to show ambition.

Randy takes advice from his varying lobbyists at the club and reluctantly agrees.... we sign our star player.

currently ( this season)-  Naive Randy says to Paul Lambert " where's all the goals, then now our star player has got what he wants....erm,erm,erm

Collateral mate.

They are always going to be some high earners on the books not cutting it at the current time. Completely eradicate them, feasible as it sounds - would probably cost us our premiership status....

I appreciate this is tongue in cheek, but I have wondered for some time whether Bentekes new contract has could/could have caused more problems than it has solved.  PL was very clearly a flag bearer for youth, budget foreign, up and coming, and lower divisions players. Around that a good clever Manager can form a terrific team bond and ethos.  It does slightly go out the window if you do what we did with CB.

Although I can of course understnad the reasoning and the equally valid idea that those young and inexperienced players also need to know bigger rewards are waiting.

Makes you wonder though.

And no I wouldn't swap Lerner unless there was a superb case made out for someone else -  bearable owners are not common, ok owners are rare, good ones are very rare indeed.

• Like 1

And for the guy who wants to be the next Man City - a few years down the road you will feel just as fed up, just your criteria will have changed.

I never really get this argument. Man city fans certainly seem to enjoy supporting their team when I visited the etihad. I can't imagine too many don't enjoy watching the likes of toure wear the city shirt.

I appreciate this is tongue in cheek, but I have wondered for some time whether Bentekes new contract has could/could have caused more problems than it has solved.  PL was very clearly a flag bearer for youth, budget foreign, up and coming, and lower divisions players. Around that a good clever Manager can form a terrific team bond and ethos.  It does slightly go out the window if you do what we did with CB.

Although I can of course understnad the reasoning and the equally valid idea that those young and inexperienced players also need to know bigger rewards are waiting.

Makes you wonder though.

And no I wouldn't swap Lerner unless there was a superb case made out for someone else -  bearable owners are not common, ok owners are rare, good ones are very rare indeed.

Terrytini it was tongue in cheek.... but multiple that scenario umpteen times over the years and you have a truer perspective....Bent is another one.

how many clubs can afford to underwrite all these **** ups.

Edited by TRO

most fans are at a level where are expectations are non existent for a club our size

we now strive to be a mid table team that plays reasonable passing football and is occasionally able to go on a decent cup run, no-one expects to win week in week out but everyone does expect us to at least try and get the footballing basics right.

Finishing between 9-13th and not being the new Stoke is literally our dream these days as well as avoiding relegation battles every season. Yet our team is 30% league one quality, 30% championship quality, 40% prem quality (at a push).

If Lerner cares then he has to 

a) Turn up

B) Stop punishing Lambert and the fans for his/the clubs past managerial and financial mistakes

I hate gambling with bigger name signings and more expensive wages, I would always rather we did things gradually with younger players and lower risk signings - but it isn't **** working. We should be looking at one mid level experienced signing to every two lower risk signings we make and the occasional experienced loan player in the mix. You need something to sustain you while you build everything else. We are now falling behind every other club in the premiership with our miserly signings, i bet you Palace, Hull and Cardiff will spend more than us in Jan.

If what we have endured over the last three seasons is what is in store now for Aston Villa then Yes he needs to sell up.

As a former home and away every gamer, season ticket holder, European follower and general "as passionate as you can get" Villa fan my interest levels after the last three years are at an all time low. Heck i even used to hitch hike to places like Plymouth and Nottingham so as not to miss a game if my budget wouldn't stretch to the train fare!! But the last three seasons has destroyed my passion to a large extent (Even though i still take the time to post on here :D ).

I started supporting Villa when we were in the 3rd division in the 70's, i have seen us win everything except the FA cup, in the flesh too. I have also seen bad days with two relegations and some very poor sides ... I have endured a quarter century of misery and excrutiatingly frustrating under achievement under HDE!.... But even then we challenged and got 2nd place on the odd (very odd) occasion and won the odd cup.

I have never witnessed though such brain destroying poorness as i have seen in the last 3 years!! The shockingly weak football, frequent embarrassments and record breaking, history changing stat attack we are suffering now. How we are still a Premier League team i really havn't a clue after what has happened here and i take my hat off to Paul Lambert for somehow performing a little miracle in somehow keeping us up on a Championship budget and with an entire squad of solid, yet in the main no more than average, players being sold all around him... It is a minor miracle that this club is still in the Premier League in my opinion... It's akin to a Formula 1 car being entered into the race with a robin Reliant engine in it and not coming in the last 3 to finish!!

Every fibre of my pride in this famous club is being tested to the absolute extreme of it's limits currently and i hope that this is just a huge operation to get back contol of finances by Randy and in the summer (If we survive that long in the division) he finally says that the austerity is now over and we now have a new plan and hands a huge warchest to Paul Lambert to start to put this club back on the map.... I hope this... but sadly i really doubt it will happen and if it doesn't i hope he steps aside but moves heaven and Earth to find us an owner who can put this club back amongst the games elite... Then he would be remembered well.

Â