Best / Favourite Christmas Movie

dAVe80

• 7 years later...

The correct answer is Muppet's Christmas Carol, but as I'm sure I've mentioned every year since it happened, that magical occasion in HMV on Oxford Street some years ago when an unwitting staffer saw the film title, saw David Bowie's name on the box and decided to chuck copies of "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" into the seasonal display, amongst the likes of Miracle On 34th Street etc

I delight in the notion of the children gathered round on Christmas day, witnessing the on-screen seppuku in horror.

Ergo, my answer; Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

• Like 2

The Star Wars holiday special is indeed very special. Wonder how much Ayahuasca they were taking when they made that one. Been watching for the last 3 Christmases now just for the insanity. It's truly awful.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2013 at 12:42, villa4europe said:

muppets CC

but it wouldn't be christmas without watching elf and national lampoons too

The Mrs wants us all to learn the song at the end so we can sing along to it next year. Went down well with two teenage boys (might invite their girlfriends round to witness )

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Some other good movies to watch at Christmas time

3b0eaf16c173cfd9139d7964c1a26297caa82aa6

Meet Me in St. Louis

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119cba5e0685a40c307a

The Shop Around the Corner

image-asset.gif

The Apartment

1b5952646e7c7b6cf43c3b42640d1b143096b8bb

The Night of the Hunter

tumblr_oir1ncCxPM1vyi3kto1_540.gif

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

tumblr_povkhja2po1y5actgo2_540.gifv

Fanny & Alexander

ea6eea16eee37ef71b0dee9153e98497569627ab

Dekalog (this one isn't very cheery though)

Every year I create a Christmas Movie Advent calendar. Nothing groundbreaking but normally the classics, mixed in with some crappy, but easy watching, Netflix films and a handful of new films that 'audition to remain on the list next year. I print them all out on a slip of paper, fold them up and mix them up into a wooden advent calendar so it's a surprise. Every night the wife or I open the advent to see what we're watching and help ourselves to a chocolate from the accompanying celebrations box!

I'm up to about 40 films which means there's quite a few days with more than one film. And it's become a bit like a World Cup draw, with seeded films in a pot with newbies or the Netflix schmaltz - this avoids having two weak films a night. Then there's ensuring that sequential films are in the right order or that triple headers are on weekends when we'll have time. Quite the undertaking!

In recent years, the people at work have loved the idea and like to know what's on the bill each night. So now I list it on Instagram with a quiz question about the film!

Films range from Die Hard to Serendipity to Muppets to The Princess Switch to The Night Before, so quite a mix! Once it starts, it really feels like Christmas. 

Just now, HKP90 said:

Elf, Die Hard, Gremlins, It's a Wonderful Life, Carrie's Grinch, Muppet Christmas Carol, Scrooge.

And National Lampoon's, obviously.

For some reason I have a little bit of a thing for Beverly D'angelo in that film. 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

And National Lampoon's, obviously.

For some reason I have a little bit of a thing for Beverly D'angelo in that film. 

And a major thing for Phoebe Cates in anything. 

Â