Weekends football 21/22 December

andykeenan

Rodwell could have been a great player (still might be) but he always lacked that little bite, little bit of tenacity and extra hunger. They used to say up here "he's all Birkdale and no Kirkdale" - basically he is too nice. It was though he never really believed or wanted it enough.

Barkley has the lot. He can do anything. He has the desire too.

will be interesting to see if he throws it all away to be a bit part player after a too soon move to the likes of city, or gets injured, or gets the inevitable huge contract and the media wankfest, doing well to avoid the "any team in the world" tag so far but it wont be long before the likes of the sun claim he could walk in to Barcelona's starting 11 

he looks a great prospect, but he's still only a prospect

better than wilshere at the same age? not for me, and wilshere has come nowhere near fulfilling his potential so far

i wasnt necessarily comparing them as footballers, i was trying to suggest that ross barkley isnt the 1st "next gazza" or english player to fire up the great hype machine, he wouldnt be the 1st to fall short of expectations either...

think barkley is currently being built up the same way wilshere was, he'll then no doubt be knocked down in the exact same way, we never learn

• Like 1

i wasnt necessarily comparing them as footballers, i was trying to suggest that ross barkley isnt the 1st "next gazza" or english player to fire up the great hype machine, he wouldnt be the 1st to fall short of expectations either...

think barkley is currently being built up the same way wilshere was, he'll then no doubt be knocked down in the exact same way, we never learn

Yes there is far too much hype about him. We had it with the Ox before the Euros and he'd done nothing to merit it. Lets hope he does fufiil his promise!

Â