Is young and hungry over ?

smetrov

We've gone from people happy about the idea of signing Dale Stevens to most now realising we need better quality.

I think the hype around this approach is over.

What is the alternative strategy?
Buy better players.

Are you the guy who sits behind me at VP and shouts "get the ball and score!" every 5 minutes?

What's your point?

We've gone from people happy about the idea of signing Dale Stevens to most now realising we need better quality.

Buy better players.

Are you the guy who sits behind me at VP and shouts "get the ball and score!" every 5 minutes?

What's your point?

By saying "buy better players", you might as well be saying "win more games". Not that easy is it.

Buy better players.
What's your point?

By saying "buy better players", you might as well be saying "win more games". Not that easy is it.

Well it is if you're willing to spend more money.

If Lambert had less financial restrictions he'd find it easier to buy better players.

I would like an alternative to the "like this" button.  But "Dislike" is too mundane.   Can we have a "are you %&@%@& insane?" button?   And maybe a "broken record" button?  (apologies to everyone less than 25 who has no idea what vinyl sounds like.)

I shudder when I hear the phrase "young and hungry". It basically means "cheap, shit and out of his depth". Can't believe so many fans fell for it.

That is ridiculous. I will take these players over the ones they replaced any day of the week.

Not me. I rather enjoyed those top 6 finishes. Much better than the consecutive relegation battles and humiliating defeats the "young and hungry" brigade have served up so far.

Anyway .. I'll add one point .. with MON and the same squad he had we won't pass 7th ! 

City Spurs Newcastle Southampton Weren't as now .. Everton too are much stronger !

This point isn't mentioned a lot ..

I wonder why.....?

I think sometimes people forget that other teams are better than they were before .. Because we're getting backwards rapidly (Well hopefully we're going forward now) .. 

Anyway .. Now there is Top 6 (Although Liverpool have only been 6th once in 4 seasons) .. With 3 teams who seem to be in another level to all other teams .. It's not that easy .. we need to build a whole team !

When you look at it .. Southampton was built mostly from their Academy .. They have a good manager .. And they've paid good money .. But the difference was only from two players .. Wanyama and Lovren ..

I think we're now in a need for some quality players .. But we're on our way .. We've almost finished our squad building .. And we're still midtable paying pennis .. 

If we didn't get a playmaker and a DM or a winger in the winter or summer .. I'd start questioning Lambert and Lerner again ..

I thought you said we would get relegated last season?

and should have sacked Lambert for Redknapp ;)

I was one of the very few posters who said we'd struggle at the start of last season due to Lambert's transfer policy and that is what I was referring to.

Concerning Redknapp yep I wanted him at the club and we may have been relegated with him but then again he may have pushed us on more than Lambert?

After inheriting a poisoned chalice at QPR he's now turning them around and will probably get them promoted. With more money and a better balanced transfer policy QPR will more than likely surpass us next season if Lerner sticks to the same policy on finance.  

i honestly couldnt care less about what transfer stratetgy we are using as long as it is one that works for me the issue is the coaching and what goes on on the training ground.

i feel that tacitcally we have one set up, defend for your lives and hope to counter attack the opposistion which granted sometimes works. However the second we go behind (which is often) we have absolutly no plan b.

i honestly couldnt care less about what transfer stratetgy we are using as long as it is one that works for me the issue is the coaching and what goes on on the training ground.

i feel that tacitcally we have one set up, defend for your lives and hope to counter attack the opposistion which granted sometimes works. However the second we go behind (which is often) we have absolutly no plan b.

We've got most of our points from winning a game we've gone behind in I think.

If Lambert had less financial restrictions he'd find it easier to buy better players.

Apart from the world not being quite so black and white as that, and that 129786487613 posts saying "spend more money" in a million different ways seems a little obsessive, spending more money is no guarantee of success. Granted the biggest teams worldwide who win consistently over a long period of time pay amongst the biggest wages and fees. For every  one of those though there are a few who spend and spend and don't win a thing, and a few more who go bust, or narrowly avoid it wrecking their future for years and possibly forever.

I'd really not like to go through the kind of squad overhaul on a budget that Lambert is overseeing again. Spending above our means and not succeeding again will mean that we have to. But even if we don't go so crazy spending wise and just pay a bit more there's no guarantees. We are STILL paying players a lot of money who don't even get near the bench and won't until their contracts run out. It's sensible to resolve that situation before contemplating the same kind of outlays again. 

I think you will see us spending a bit more, but not until at least next summer, and even then it will be with an eye on potential and resale value. Rightly so IMHO.

• Like 1

Apart from the world not being quite so black and white as that, and that 129786487613 posts saying "spend more money" in a million different ways seems a little obsessive, spending more money is no guarantee of success. Granted the biggest teams worldwide who win consistently over a long period of time pay amongst the biggest wages and fees. For every one of those though there are a few who spend and spend and don't win a thing, and a few more who go bust, or narrowly avoid it wrecking their future for years and possibly forever.

I'd really not like to go through the kind of squad overhaul on a budget that Lambert is overseeing again. Spending above our means and not succeeding again will mean that we have to. But even if we don't go so crazy spending wise and just pay a bit more there's no guarantees. We are STILL paying players a lot of money who don't even get near the bench and won't until their contracts run out. It's sensible to resolve that situation before contemplating the same kind of outlays again.

I think you will see us spending a bit more, but not until at least next summer, and even then it will be with an eye on potential and resale value. Rightly so IMHO.

Who is asking us to go crazy with spending?

I see no reason why a club like ours can't afford to sign better quality than lower league players. Our manager should not be limited to signing cheap players that are young and hungry when he himself clearly wants better.

Do you disagree that he'd find it easier to sign better players if he was given more money.

If Lambo is going to make a success out here in B6 (when I mean success that will be top 7-10 places and half decent cup runs) then he needs to start making hints to Lerner that we need some quality experience along with the young and hungry. Hints along the line of give me some funds or you will be getting a glaswegian kiss for christmas. You know, something postive and constructive like that.

I like the " Young and Hungry" philosophy with a dash of experience and a bit of quality as a prerequisite.

The problem for me is,I am not sure that our lot are that young and that hungry.

I would describe the recruitment of Andy Gray as an example of "young and hungry"......19 and ripping the hearts out of the opposition....thats " young and hungry"

not 22/23 and being given a football lesson of how to keep the ball.

Perhaps Benteke last season is fair to describe as " young and hungry"....I'm struggling after that.

Apart from the world not being quite so black and white as that, and that 129786487613 posts saying "spend more money" in a million different ways seems a little obsessive, spending more money is no guarantee of success. Granted the biggest teams worldwide who win consistently over a long period of time pay amongst the biggest wages and fees. For every one of those though there are a few who spend and spend and don't win a thing, and a few more who go bust, or narrowly avoid it wrecking their future for years and possibly forever.

Who is asking us to go crazy with spending?

I see no reason why a club like ours can't afford to sign better quality than lower league players. Our manager should not be limited to signing cheap players that are young and hungry when he himself clearly wants better.

Do you disagree that he'd find it easier to sign better players if he was given more money.

Yes, obviously, more money gets you into a different level of the market and a different level of player. I think we'll see that starting next year, not in January, and not instead of young and hungry either. It'll be less speculative selection of a young prospect, less scattergun and more sure of a decent outcome. All of these factors puch the price of a young player up, and given the volume of players we've seen come in, it just hasn't been an option so far and January is no different if we're still paying large wages to the bomb squad for the second half of the season. Also value for money in Jan is hard to come by, not impossible, but hard. 

A lack of effort isn't something that can be criticised.

It's not the player's faults that they've been bought and are playing in the Prem. All of you would do it if you were offered. We just can't rely on younger players wholly. Injuries/suspensions to experienced players hasn't helped either.

Â