Birmingham New Street

PauloBarnesi

And welcome in to the abomination replacing the abomination.

What a waste.

The new one looks decent.  It's not like they were going to build a nice old Victorian style building.  We are entering the spaceship style building era which will surely age better than brutalist architecture.

One of the nicest stations in the country is a five minute walk from New Street. Just sayin'

Agreed.

Anyway it isn't New Street guys get with the times! Birmingham Grand Central baby!

The shopping centre will be called Grand Central, the station will still be New Street

One of the nicest stations in the country is a five minute walk from New Street. Just sayin'

True but the station that is seen and judged by outsiders is New Street. I honestly think most of the negative stigma attached to Brum is due to brutalist New Street. Being Britain's most used station outside of London, a lot of people will have experienced its ugliness.

True but the station that is seen and judged by outsiders is New Street. I honestly think most of the negative stigma attached to Brum is due to brutalist New Street. Being Britain's most used station outside of London, a lot of people will have experienced its ugliness.

Oh, I agree completely.  My point is that when this discussion happens, people often pine for the old Victorian splendour of certain buildings (New Street, the first library, the old Snow Hill station) and before somebody inevitably says "they don't build em like they used to" I always feel it is worth pointing out that one of the best examples of Edwardian architecture in the entire country happens to exist in the form of a fully functioning railway station barely 400 yards from New Street. People can actually go and enjoy it tomorrow. It's still here.  It's hardly a quiet station either, it gets more passengers than Coventry or Wolverhampton do. 

s6sO2PA.jpg

The restoration of Moor Street station was pretty spectacular in my opinion, and the fact that it essentially still looks like something from the height of the railway boom of the interwar years means I am a lot more comfortable with the idea of Network Rail wanting to go for something that is very 21st century with New Street.  Mind you, I say that as somebody who is a massive massive fan of the Selfridges building which is probably the iconic image of modern Birmingham. 

• Like 2

Did someone fall down the escalators or get squashed in a crush of people recently and complain or something? Just wondering why they had all those security/crowd control people everywhere last weekend. I've been using New Street consistently for years and had never seen them before

Did someone fall down the escalators or get squashed in a crush of people recently and complain or something? Just wondering why they had all those security/crowd control people everywhere last weekend. I've been using New Street consistently for years and had never seen them before

It's just a temporary measure to deal with the overcrowding at weekends.  The concourse can't cope with the numbers at the moment, especially when so many of them are half cut from an all day session at the German Market.  It is only a temporary issue while half the station is closed though. 

I think the next thing that should be renovated or rebuilt in the city centre is Paradise Forum. From Brindley Place, past the NIA, canals, Sea Life Centre, through the ICC, then magnificent new library and then you hit Paradise Forum and it's like you're back in the 70s. They've obviously closed the library on the top so perhaps they are planning to do something with it.

It ruins the view from Victoria Square

Paradise_Forum,_Birmingham_Library,_Cham

Underneath it's fairly bleak as well. The inside isn't actually that bad, and the forum shape does give some ideas about how a more modern take on the same thing could work. Something like an upside down glass pyramid etc.

Â