Electronic Drum Kits

Troglodyte

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an electronic drum kit for the missus to take her rage out upon - she used to play when she was younger but hasn't for a while, but after having a session on a friend's kit (ooh-er) she's really keen on getting into it again.  An acoustic kit isn't an option because of the neighbours.  I don't know the first thing about instruments so am finding it fairly difficult.  Ideally I'd be looking at around the £300 mark but would go a little higher if it was worth it.  There are kits like the Alesis DM Lite for under a couple of hundred but I think she'd like something that's got a little more to offer than a simple 'starter' kit.

I noticed this deal on the Alesis DM6, which comes delivered with a stool, sticks and headphones for £309, but I've read a few unfavourable reviews about its reliability (although there are plenty of positive ones, too).  There's also the Yamaha DTXplorer range, with options such as the DTX400 for £359.  It seems Yamaha have a slightly better reputation than Alesis?

Or would it be worth paying the extra for something like the Alesis DM8, which is apparently more sturdy and seems to have a lot more going for it, at £419?  That's pretty much right at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay, though, and I'm not sure whether it'd be worth stretching the budget so much.

Any insight from people with more knowledge/experience, including alternative suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers!

I personally like the electronic kits by Roland but they might be a little expensive for your price range. Shop about a bit though, you might find a bargain.

Edited by Ginko

is it a surprise for the lady, sir?

If it's not, best course of action is to get yourself to a drum shop and get her to sit at a couple of sets, our local (Drum Depot, Cardiff) have a couple of classrooms come try out rooms and they've got all the time in the world for people with any level of ability. I'm sure most drum shops are the same.

If it's a surprise, Yamaha set mentions you can upgrade individual pieces as and when you get the urge.

Yeah, 'tis a surprise so unfortunately can't really test them out.  I don't think she's all that fussed about quality to be honest as it'd be much more for fun than recording etc., but at the same time I'd like something that still has plenty of functionality and would work well and responsively as a relatively decent piece of kit - I don't think it'd just be a fad or anything like that so am looking beyond basic starter kits without spending crazy money.  Reliability is important too, and the ability to upgrade if she chooses to (as with the Yamaha set) would be a good.

... she used to play when she was younger but hasn't for a while, but after having a session on a friend's kit (ooh-er) she's really keen on getting into it again. 

Was your mate's kit electronic? Does she know what you plan to get her?

Slightly off topic, I went into Aldi a couple of days ago and they had sets of Bongos that looked quite decent for £15, I walked past.

In the music shop on Saturday I went in to get a set and they were £45

Back to Aldi to find they'd gone, and when they're gone, they're gone.

bugger

Could always go even cheaper and get her a set of practice pads ;)

I'd advise going to a drum shop and getting their advice though. Not the Bimingham Drum Centre though. I went in there a few years ago and they couldn't give a crap about my custom. They say around doing sweet FA and chatting. I finally went up to them to say what I wanted and one of the lazy gits went to go and check and after about ten minutes of waiting he came out and said they didn't have any in stock anyway. Useless tossers.

Just checked, they're only trading online on eBay now anyway.

... she used to play when she was younger but hasn't for a while, but after having a session on a friend's kit (ooh-er) she's really keen on getting into it again. 

Was your mate's kit electronic? Does she know what you plan to get her?

Yeah, I think it's only a basic one that he bought off someone else on the cheap, but she's been banging on about saving up to buy one since - and from my point of view it'd give her something to do when I'm watching the footy  :D

I could just go cheap but I'd rather spend a bit more on something that'd last and work well.  I don't think she's looked into models etc. as it'd be something she'd get next year, but if I can get hold of one for Christmas then I'd be in for some expensive sex  free time over the holidays  brownie points.

• Like 1

Â