Albums of the Year 2013

bickster

Beach Boys "Made in California" boxset . Some amazing previously unreleased stuff on it even for an anorak like me. Cracking presentation too. Thanks to my other half for that prezzie

Only a few releases out this year I enjoyed  including  Goodiepal Havet, Iannis Xenakis GRM works and also  Fossils stuff.

Stuff new to my ears, this year that I  enjoyed, Graham Lambkin's Poem (for Voice and Tape) and Amateur Doubles,. Pretty much anything by Henning Christiansen..

Edited by useless

Nice, good to see some j-pop. Have you heard Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's new one? Not exactly everyone's cup of tea granted.

No I haven't, I'm only recently new to Perfume and they're like the first J-pop I've heard, apparently Capsule are meant to be quite good as well. I'll have to see If I can hear some of that Kyary Pamyu Pamyu later on.

Nice, good to see some j-pop. Have you heard Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's new one? Not exactly everyone's cup of tea granted.

No I haven't, I'm only recently new to Perfume and they're like the first J-pop I've heard, apparently Capsule are meant to be quite good as well. I'll have to see If I can hear some of that Kyary Pamyu Pamyu later on.

They're both produced by the dude from Capsule actually haha.

• Like 1

I've done a bit of catching up over the xmas period with being off work and that, wouldve made a nice round 10 but there's a couple I don't think I want to leave out ^_^

Gnaw-Horrible-Chamber-Artwork.jpg

Gnaw - Horrible Chamber ; pure evil. And I just love evil stuff. Possible my favourite of the year.

Following on from that, another few of noisy albums

melt1.jpg

Melt-Banana - Fetch ; mostly for nostalgia really, but few albums have excited me more this year than this one, hearing the bass line and vocals that are utterly unique to mxbx

Nails-Abandon-All-Life.jpg

Weekend-Nachos-Still.jpg

Nails - Abandon All Life & Weekend Nachos - Still ; this stuff is in vogue on the other side of the pond I guess, which brings with it a fanbase that not all might be enamored with. As far as I'm concerned though, kids listening to a new breed of grind and power violence can be no bad thing.

Deafheaven-Sunbather1.png

chelsea-wolfe-pain-is-beauty.jpg

Deafheaven - Sunbather & Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty ; all the praise heaped on these two acts is totally justifed. Really cracking stuff. Deafheaven gets bonus points cos the vocalist sounds like Stza Crack when he does that \m/>___<\m/ metal vocal

Next two are bands I have been following for what seems a very very very long time.

oVo.jpg

oVo - Abisso ; they've lost their masks/headgear and with it comes a new, and somewhat refreshing sound, away from the noise punk of the early records. Although it still contains some of the out and out weirdness of the last LP, this is balanced much more nicely, and is a vastly superior listen for it.

NSFW art cover, maybe, drawn boobies count?

Comanechi - You Owe Me Nothing But Love ; finally living up to some of the potential from their earlier records, a record that feels like a proper album, seems they've upgraded to a 3 piece aswell which may help the sound.

And some other stuff well worthy of inclusion

true-widow-circumambulation1.jpg

True Widow - Circumambulation ; it's just True Widow doing gazey droney stuff which is really excellent. yeah. I'm not sure if they'd be described as post-rock, but if they are, it's the only stuff in the genre I enjoy anymore.

SIGE020_coverart.jpg

Mammifer & Circle - Enharmonic Intervals ; perfect. Although not the best to compare it with, I did enjoy this a lot more than Tim Heckers Virgins LP

we+set+fire+to+the+sky+FolderPNG+Black+V

Children of God - We Set Fire to the Sky ; ignore the rubbish band name, album name, and non-descript art. The contents are anything but. Hovering somewhere in the spectrum roundabouts hardcore and powerviolence, intermingled with gazey interludes, I'm hoping they can do what bands like City of Caterpillar and Envy did for screamo

Can't post the art for this one, too many imgs, here's a link for ye

Jenny Hval - Innocence is Kinky ; I nearly didn't include it, despite it being really good, due to it being too much like the last LP. Then I figured I was going to include True Widow for doing more of the same. I could take them both out to make 10...but nah. Even with the countless wonderfully talented female singer/songwriters around at the moment doing 'experimental' things with drone, dream pop and noise Jenny Hval continues to stand out. For that she deserves considerable praise.

Here's a bonus EP too

Perfect Pussy - S/T ; it only had a physical release on cassette, but still managed to garner much praise via downloads on bandcamp and that. Exciting noisy pop punk, eager to hear more. It really, really reminds me of something, but I'm not sure exactly what...AIDS Wolf? Nah. Pre? Don't think so. So So Many White White Tigers? Perhaps...you have a listen and tell me. Sounds like shite, but it is their first recording. And I have no idea what  the picture is all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paRFB3-SdI

NOW HERE'S SOME THINGS THAT SURPISED ME AND DISAPPOINTED ME

Surprise ; Juntaro Yamanouchi, of Gerogerigegege fame, is supposedly alive and well. DeeDee Gero has been posting millions of videos on Youtube of weird stuff aswell. Just like him walking around and eating in restaurants, and talking Japanese. I'll post one below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPNw-9wQtQ

Rough translation - check it out, we totally have big Christmas lights in Japan too

Disappoint ; No proper Birds of Passage release. Although Taxidermy of Unicorns and the Snoqualmie Falls releases were alright, I want an LP ;______; which is coming in Jan! Yay!

And in regards to the new QOTSA album, it was good, but I thought the Kyus- OOPS sorry, Vista Chino album was better.

• Like 2

... hearing the bass line and vocals that are utterly unique to mxbx

It's the guitar and drums that do it here.  :)

Agata's solo album on John Zorn's label is spiky and abstract, lurching between chaos and precision.

I like that, anyone can just make noise.

Perfect Pussy - S/T ; it only had a physical release on cassette, but still managed to garner much praise via downloads on bandcamp and that. Exciting noisy pop punk, eager to hear more. It really, really reminds me of something, but I'm not sure exactly what...AIDS Wolf? Nah. Pre? Don't think so. So So Many White White Tigers? Perhaps...you have a listen and tell me. Sounds like shite, but it is their first recording. And I have no idea what  the picture is all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paRFB3-SdI

tumblr_inline_mxm2mvUHQf1qz62ac.gif

Killer Mike + EL-P - Run the Jewels

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap

Cage - Kill the Architect

Danny Brown - Old

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

Flatbush Zombies - Better Off Dead

Â