Albums of the Year 2013

bickster

I'm glad tastes are so varied. Much better than listening to the same homogenised shitpop that plays in Top Man and night clubs.

On the flip-side, I love it when you're in a shop and something you really like suddenly comes on out of nowhere.  I air-saxophoned my way to the till of Game during an unexpected airing of Midnight City a few weeks ago.  Probably looked like a complete (well, more of than usual) dickhead.

Not sure where to put this so here's as good I suppose as it's about music-

I've 2 spare tickets for Shed Seven at the Institute in Digbeth on Saturday. If anyone's interested PM. Muchos gracios.

Sorry if this is the wrong place mods.

I'm glad tastes are so varied. Much better than listening to the same homogenised shitpop that plays in Top Man and night clubs.

I wasn't complaining.

Just observing that there is some particularly obscure music liked on this forum. Most of which I've never even heard of.

Just observing that there is some particularly obscure music liked on this forum. Most of which I've never even heard of.

I saw you liked the James Blake album I put up.

Had you heard it before or did you give it a listen for the first time from my post?

I saw you liked the James Blake album I put up.

Had you heard it before or did you give it a listen for the first time from my post?

I've heard some tracks, yet to hear the album in full. But I'm a fan of what I've heard so far. I liked his first album a lot

• Like 1

Was QOTSA's album that good? I have been a fan of theirs in the past, though i've yet to buy this latest offering.

What made you think they'd ever stop being good? Era Vulgaris was a little bit bloated and self indulgent admittedly but there are still some corking tracks on there.

On the flip-side, I love it when you're in a shop and something you really like suddenly comes on out of nowhere. I air-saxophoned my way to the till of Game during an unexpected airing of Midnight City a few weeks ago. Probably looked like a complete (well, more of than usual) dickhead.
haha tickled me that did. Like

Was QOTSA's album that good? I have been a fan of theirs in the past, though i've yet to buy this latest offering.

What made you think they'd ever stop being good? Era Vulgaris was a little bit bloated and self indulgent admittedly but there are still some corking tracks on there.

I think it's more a case of falling out of love with the genre rather than QOTSA specifically. I may have to give it a chance though.

2013 was a pretty miserable year for me, in terms of keeping up with new music.  That said, here are albums I enjoyed.

(Artist, album title)

Minor Alps - Get There

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

John Vanderslice - Dagger Beach

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism Demos (Not really new, but I loved hearing how the songs changed)

They Might Be Giants - Nanobots

I think I discovered more 2012 releases than 2013 this year.  I may be a year behind, but 2012 had a ton of great music.

The ones that really stand out for me, from a very good year are Nick Cave & the bad seeds, Goldfrapp, Jon Hopkins, Agnes Obel, Low and Bat for Lashes. But most of those on Bicks' and Designer 1's lists are also on my longer list

Lots of great shouts already. I think this is my top 20 - no order:

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Special Request - Soul Music

Tim Hecker - Virgins

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork...

Nils Frahm - Spaces

Machinedrum - Vapor City

The Haxan Cloak - Excavation

Dean Blunt - The Redeemer

DJ Koze - Amygdala

Bowie - The Next Day

Forest Swords - Engravings

Thundercat - Apocalypse

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

Factory Floor - Factory Floor

James Holden - the Inheritors

El-P and Killer Mike - Run the Jewels

Fire Orchestra - Exit!

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Shigeto - No Better Time than Now

Edited by PatrickCousens

Only just heard the Forest Swords effort a few days ago, great stuff.  I knew, even in December, a list would be premature.  I would now like to add the following:

Department M - Department M

"The Second Prize"

Melt Yourself Down - Melt Yourself Down

"Release!"

Public Service Broadcasting - Inform - Educate - Entertain

"Spitfire"

Â