How long do they get?

Dodgyknees

We've got a number of players in our first team and around the first team squad, who are given an easier right because they are not thought of as experienced, or players who have either come from abroad or from a lower division.

How long do we give them before we question whether they might make it or not?

Some have been playing first team football for over a year for us, some less than 3 months. Do we judge them on one year, two years or wait three years? When do the players become accountable?

They can't always be young and lacking experience.

18 months to 2 seasons of first team football is a good indicator usually.

I'd agree with this, which leaves us in a situation where we really need to see a lot more from the players, am I right? If the idea is to sell them on for a large profit, we aren't going to do that with many other than Benteke. The rest will certainly be a profit (£3/4/5m) but nothing spectacular right now.

Is that a fair assumption?

I would assume we would get more for Westwood if we sold him maybe Lowton if teams believe he can recapture his form from last season. Bowery im sure we could get 500k from a Championship team he is better than Conor Sammon and he went for over a million. only player that wouldnt is Bennett though wouldnt consider Vlaar and El Ahmadi due to their age

dont forget Guzan was a free and he would go for about 10million in current market

We are around 18 months on from when the first batch began playing together, results are better than their first season as a team, points on the board are better, defence is way better.

So they are improving as a unit, individually maybe we would shift one or two around if we are to push on but should we finish this season midtable I'd say they've all done well.

Joe Bennett is the only player I can say may leave us in the Summer, I don't think I would want any of the others to leave but if they did I'm sure we will make a profit on their transfer fees.

We're buying young players that are cheap, raw and often only coming here because the bigger teams don't want them or haven't picked up on them. They all have a lot to work on but Lambert has gone after them because he thinks they have the technique, pace, strength and attitude to succeed at Premier League level. It depends entirely what Lambert sees on the pitch and in training. He can see whether they are improving, he can see whether he thinks they will be good enough long term.

Some players I was entirely convinced with before - like Weimann Lowton Benteke - have had poor seasons so far. Some players I was pretty sure weren't good enough - like Vlaar Clark El Ahmadi - have done much better this season.

It is clearly going to take longer than 1 year to work out who is good enough. How long exactly? I don't know.

• Like 2

Well it's more about our ambitions and expectations .. Relegated teams usually pay more than 2m average for a player ..

For what we paid .. Even though we've lost against Fulham .. But we haven't lose since the Wigan game last year to any team outside the current Top 9 teams .. And maybe we wouldn't have lose Fulham game if Vlaar and Luna were there ..

We're being more solid and hard to beat than before .. With one of lowest budgets on the league ..

If we're expecting the players to be a world beaters .. we will either wait for too long .. Or we won't see that from most of them .. Few of our players would be starters if we would like to be an established top 7 teams .. Well , with two signings on the midfield we might look another different side .. and players might perform in another me ..

But the question for me is What do we expect from (This) player ? What would satisfy us ?! What would make us say he is a decent or good or atleast ok signing ? 

We don't have any say over how long a player gets which ,given the knee jerk reactions of a lot of folks on here, is a very very good thing.

Football “fans” are increasingly guilty of turning on our own players. I really think this kind of thing should be reserved for players who simply are not trying or who have insulted the club. Currently something our lads cannot be accused of.

Thankfully it’s the job of the manager.

So regardless of some people’s opinions Delph was given the time to improve and develop at this club. Same goes for Ramsey at Arsenal who was a target of some awful abuse last year.

Lambert will decide when he thinks a player has had enough time here and that he’s not going to make it.  Even then its only PLs opinion and does not mean he will not make it elsewhere.

So in summary as long as a players is putting in an honest effort and has a Villa shirt on his back he should be supported by us. END OF! :) 

18 months to 2 seasons of first team football is a good indicator usually.

I'd agree with this, which leaves us in a situation where we really need to see a lot more from the players, am I right? If the idea is to sell them on for a large profit, we aren't going to do that with many other than Benteke. The rest will certainly be a profit (£3/4/5m) but nothing spectacular right now.

Is that a fair assumption?

even if you say we make only £3m, for 5 players that's a £15m profit. Which will do us no harm at all, if we invest the profit and the original fee again on the same number of players at the same stage in their career but better quality then you'd think we'd have a better squad, more resale value again and more revenue from better results. I think this is the fundamental mechanic behind the long term plan we're currently only one season into.

I agree that 2 seasons should give you an idea, there'll still be some who move and play better after failing here though, same as there'll be some who might move and fail after doing ok here.  

Â