Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

We'll lose, I'm certain of that. A trip to Villa is always a highlight of United's season anyway but given just how awful we are at home it will be the perfect game for United to stop the rot.

HAHAHAHAHA! Love all these weak defeatest fans saying we might aswell not turn up. You were probaly 'Certain' that we would lose against Arsenal. You were probably 'Certain' we would lose againt Man City. You were probably 'Certain' we would lose against Southampton. Grow some balls, get behind the time and stop throwing hissy fits.
Oh yeah, forgot that predicting your team will lose a match makes you a lesser fan...

Idiot!

As i said, grow some balls, get behind the team and stop throwing hissy fits.
I suggest you read the forum rules, I also suggest you stop making out you are a bigger fan because somebody has a different opinion.
I suggest that i will keep airing my opinion too, as this is a free speech forum. Now i suggest you get behind the team, thankyou, goodnight.

OK, so ISA can't speak his opinion, but you can. How childish of you. Everybody here supports the team, everybody has an opinion, everybody is entitled to their say. You are no bigger or better than the rest of us and quite a few expect a defeat, I suggest you put a stop to the better than you attitude pronto.

I suggest that you stop suggesting people to do things. Seems you have a sense of grandeur. Yes, everyone has an opinion. Mine is, grow some balls, get behind the team and stop throwing hissy fits. Thankyou.

worst United side in my memory,  going through a poor run of results and on a downward slope

Us not doing too bad,  despite what our own fans think.

Set up nicely for a win for us

We'll lose

Just had some milk. I still think you should grow some balls, get behind the team and stop throwing hissy fits. Thankyou

Do you get paid royalties every time you use that sentence on this forum or something?

Yes i do. Do you get royalties everytime you whinge about Villa about everything over the past season? Thankyou

Would be just like us to put in a good performance here. I don't think we'll win or even draw but we're an inconsistent team.

Inconsistant? Our victories this season is based on luck. Have we even played a good game since April - May ? One decent half against West Brom thats about it. We have been consistantly poor imo. Lambert needs to sort out his tactics.

I don't agree with that. It seems like on VT whenever we win we're "lucky" yet whenever we lose we deserved it. Like many teams, we have good games that we lose and bad games that we win.

For all people bleat on about "luck" this season I can think of quite a few occasions where we've been unlucky. Not saying we've been unlucky as a whole this season, but quite frankly I think people are looking at things one-sided.

Edited by Mantis

Would be just like us to put in a good performance here. I don't think we'll win or even draw but we're an inconsistent team.

Inconsistant? Our victories this season is based on luck. Have we even played a good game since April - May ? One decent half against West Brom thats about it. We have been consistantly poor imo. Lambert needs to sort out his tactics.

I don't agree with that. It seems like on VT whenever we win we're "lucky" yet whenever we lose we deserved it. Like many teams, we have good games that we lose and bad games that we win.

For all people bleat on about "luck" this season I can think of quite a few occasions where we've been unlucky. Not saying we've been unlucky as a whole this season, but quite frankly I think people are looking at things one-sided.

We have the worst possession stat in the Premier League, thats just a fact you can't hide away from.

We have the worst possession stat in the Premier League, thats just a fact you can't hide away from.

So? Doesn't mean we're "lucky" whenever we win. Have you not considered that in some cases (like against Southampton) that was part of the game plan?

Look, I'd like us to have more possession as well, but the way the possession stats are talked about on here is getting a little OTT now.

So? Doesn't mean we're "lucky" whenever we win. Have you not considered that in some cases (like against Southampton) that was part of the game plan?

Look, I'd like us to have more possession as well, but the way the possession stats are talked about on here is getting a little OTT now.

So you actually think that the gameplan was to let Soton have the ball 78 % of the time? Was it the plan that Soton had 21 shots overall and we 6? And most important, was it the gameplan that we were going to score 3 out of 3 shots on target, while Soton scored 2 with 9? That game was a robbery and we all know it, of course it was good for us, but on tne other hand a real warning sign.

So you actually think that the gameplan was to let Soton have the ball 78 % of the time? Was it the plan that Soton had 21 shots overall and we 6? And most important, was it the gameplan that we were going to score 3 out of 3 shots on target, while Soton scored 2 with 9? That game was a robbery and we all know it, of course it was good for us, but on tne other hand a real warning sign.

Yes pretty much. It was quite obvious that the plan was to let Saints have the ball and defend in numbers, then try to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. By association this means they would have a lot more possession than us and in turn more shots (albeit from greater range). HH said before the game that we would play that way, we did play that way, and we won. Something not many other clubs have done at St Mary's recently.

So all evidence says that the plan worked perfectly. We didn't pass it around much and kicked it long a lot. Football that wasn't especially pleasing to the eye but that was still effective. You seem unable to accept the fact that eye-candy football doesn't equal results, and that the only stat that matters is who gets the points.

Yes pretty much. It was quite obvious that the plan was to let Saints have the ball and defend in numbers, then try to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. By association this means they would have a lot more possession than us and in turn more shots (albeit from greater range). HH said before the game that we would play that way, we did play that way, and we won. Something not many other clubs have done at St Mary's recently.

So all evidence says that the plan worked perfectly. We didn't pass it around much and kicked it long a lot. Football that wasn't especially pleasing to the eye but that was still effective. You seem unable to accept the fact that eye-candy football doesn't equal results, and that the only stat that matters is who gets the points.

I think you fail to realise that if the game was played 10 times we would have lost 9 out of 10. People on Vt are so stucked in "results" and fail to see behind the results. The match on Saturday gave us a reality check based on where we are at the moment.

Don't like this if Vlaar is out. I'm assuming Luna will come back as he's said on twitter he should be back if everything goes well. Suffocate the midfield, cover the wings and stop hoofing it up to Benteke are my only hopes.

4-5-1

Guzan

Lowton Clark Baker Luna

Bacuna KEA Westwood Delph Gabby

Benteke

Bacuna and Gabby have to do their jobs and cover the overlaps and then keep their width going forward so it's not too congested over the middle. Benteke has to hold up the ball well and bring the midfielders into play who try to release it wide. Not pretty but the best I think we can do.

No doubt we'll see some asinine 5-3-2 again though.

But... what do we do if we don't hoof it up to Benteke?

I think you fail to realise that if the game was played 10 times we would have lost 9 out of 10. People on Vt are so stucked in "results" and fail to see behind the results. The match on Saturday gave us a reality check based on where we are at the moment.

But we didn't lose - we won. We were never going to be able to go to St Mary's and outplay them.

4-3-1-2, Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Herd, Luna, Sylla, Westwood, Bacuna, Tonev, Gabby and Kozak, assuming Vlaar is out injured.

In this game I think if vlaar is out we have to play Clark and baker sadly it's the least dodgy cb combo

Guzan

Lowton Clark vlaar(baker) Luna

Bacuna Kea Sylla Delph

Gabby Benteke

Personally thought Herd did well against Fulham, was probably likely to get sent-off if he'd made a 50/50 challenge, but still looked half-decent alongside Clark. Baker seems to of lost it recently, got murdered by Long at the Baggies, didn't look conformable against Fletcher at VP and Mike Jagger even had a worldie against him on Sunday. 

Edited by Avflife

I know one thing, we can't afford to give utd 20 odd attempts like we did soton and fulham. I think we all agree performance levels have got to improve otherwise we will lose more than we win. We are only good when we play counter attacking football. The rest of our game is pretty shit. The reason stoke were so good at their style of play was because they had it down to a T. Plus they had the right type of players for the job, we aint. Not a chance in hell we will get anything on sunday if we don't up our game

But we didn't lose - we won. We were never going to be able to go to St Mary's and outplay them.

With that attitude coupled with negative tactics and with a continuing change of formations and tactics, with no stability and no clear philosophy, we're never going to grow as club. Is that what you want?