*spoilers* The Walking Dead *spoilers*

dont_do_it_doug.

Maybe a surprise character can somehow become a key character going forward. ? I think / hope there's enough left with the remaining characters to keep the show going, and maybe a change will do it some good. As long as they don't change Daryl's character, he needs someone alongside him to bounce off.

Just rename it the Daryl & Carol show. Once every fifth episode Carol does something badass, and once every other fifth episode Daryl has a little cry about something. Viewing figures would soon increase. Joking aside, the natural conclusion for any Zombie show is 'the zombies win'. They explored the very non-canon comic storyline of their being real significant progress towards a cure at the end of season one, so yeah, why not cure it and end it there. Whatever happens, they need to give Rick a great send off. He has been one of the better lead characters on TV that I've seen, well, ever really. So either he goes out in a blaze of glory and his people 'win' thanks to his sacrifice, or he dies as 'old man rick' in a world where society is very nearly back to normal. I'd be satisfied with either. If his death was used as a vehicle to propel someone else in to the leadership role (likely) I don't think I'd enjoy it much at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse the pun, but those fears I had about Gimple taking over as show runner for FTWD were well and truly realised with this week's mid season finale. Utter shit shower, where on earth does it go from here? 

24 minutes ago, hogso said:

Excuse the pun, but those fears I had about Gimple taking over as show runner for FTWD were well and truly realised with this week's mid season finale. Utter shit shower, where on earth does it go from here? 

I have not enjoyed this season of FWD its been utter shit. If Lincoln's leaving they may as well just end the show for s9.  It's crap anyways these days.

But they will obviously try merge both shows as that's only way show will survive without those three main charchters. That's my prediction for end of season 9.

• 1 month later...

Started to re-read the first Walking Dead compendium (have the 3 so far released) to have something to do while on the toilet.

Figured I might as well start re-watching the TV show as well to compare.

First season is only 6 episodes and is really quite good.

Second season I hated when it came out, but if you fast forward the slower farm bits it's really not bad. Although they really stretched it out considering it's only like 45 pages in the comic and completely different.

Just started on s3 and the prison in both the comic and TV-show.

Will reserve the right to fast forward the boring bits. And browse through the dialog in the comic.

Early seasons in the show is much more "epic" and the zombies are much more a danger than in the latter seasons.

And on the whole the comic is much darker and more grim.

• 2 weeks later...

Onto s5 in the TV show now and the rate in which I am fast forwarding through episodes is going up at an alarming rate. (same with the comic tbh)

Show really lost something about the feel when Darabont quit. Not sure it's about him and the budget cut for s2 didn't help. 

S3 is still OK in parts but it's mostly downhill from there on out.

• 2 months later...

So season 9 is off to a OK-ish start. at this point the show is what it is.

Time has passed, people have moved on, or have they? More fizzle less pop as usual.

Spoiler

Appears Jadis wont be Alpha after all contrary to what I initially thought.

Oh, and as for my re-watch of previous seasons it ended halfway into s5

I just cant do it anymore.

I was a big fan of the TV show, as I love the comics. I am turning off the TV show as it has drifted too far off the source material, and it is turning into shit. I really expected much more from the war with the Saviours, instead it was just done quite weakly.

With the oversaturation of zombie themed TV and movies, the show needs to offer more than dead bitey people, and they could have had that if they stuck to the source material. In the comics, the story revolved around Rick and Carl, and you could sense it was going to be more about Carl. Losing Rick and Carl, they should have ended it, instead of just powering through. The show is just another Z Nation now.

Just like Brad Pitt's World War Z, the show is only that in name now, and has no connection with the source material.

This show is done.

• Like 1

Not sure how much of that I agree with. I have heard the complaint that it's veered too far off the source material and is now rubbish as a result - however, I do struggle with the assessment of the comics being amazing. I don't think it is, not anymore - there's the odd issue which is good, but it's filled with boring shite frequently, and has been like that since...jeez, before the introduction of Negan? Which is the exact same criticism you could aim at the show. As such I'd argue it's tried to follow the source material too closely to a degree. At least now. Should it have been a verbatim reproduction of the comics, warts and all? I don't think that's really feasible, there is some really sick shit in there (death of the girls at the prison springs to mind!), so it's probably been as good as it could have been. The casting has been almost too good to be true in some cases - they've nailed all of the major characters. I would agree though that the show has run it's course. Whether that should be with an ending where everyone dies cos there are too many zombies, or where civilisation starts to thrive because the zombie threat has been negated to a manageable level, I'm not sure.

56 minutes ago, hogso said:

Not sure how much of that I agree with. I have heard the complaint that it's veered too far off the source material and is now rubbish as a result - however, I do struggle with the assessment of the comics being amazing. I don't think it is, not anymore - there's the odd issue which is good, but it's filled with boring shite frequently, and has been like that since...jeez, before the introduction of Negan? Which is the exact same criticism you could aim at the show. As such I'd argue it's tried to follow the source material too closely to a degree. At least now. Should it have been a verbatim reproduction of the comics, warts and all? I don't think that's really feasible, there is some really sick shit in there (death of the girls at the prison springs to mind!), so it's probably been as good as it could have been. The casting has been almost too good to be true in some cases - they've nailed all of the major characters. I would agree though that the show has run it's course. Whether that should be with an ending where everyone dies cos there are too many zombies, or where civilisation starts to thrive because the zombie threat has been negated to a manageable level, I'm not sure.

I didnt even realise it was back. I'm.not that inspired to be honest. 

Personally I think and if the rumours are true, they will kill Rick off this series to try take the show to another level. 

Personally I think this should be the last and they should end it how you said. Kill all the charchters as too many zombies

10 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I actually really enjoyed the new episode last night. Hopefully they can build on this as series 7 and 8 really slowed down.

I don't think they'll kill of rick. I think he'll disappear with a certain someone to avoid mass community warfare.

I think they will kill Rick off soon. But all depends on when the whisperers come in as they won't kill him before that arc.

• 3 weeks later...

So on ep 4

Spoiler

Do we have us another "dumpster Glenn" situation or is this it for our protagonist? 

If so I really hope they don't do another drawn out flashback episode next week.

Well, we know flashbacks are coming at some point, so that's possible - maybe even likely. For me though 

Spoiler

Jadis has just left Gabriel which was apparently her 'ticket', and knows these helicopter guys. Perhaps she/they will swoop in and make the save/kidnap at the last moment? 

Well that was both predictable and unpredictable.

Bit lame IMO.

Spoiler

But you gotta hand it to them, not many shows reboots themselves in the middle of a season like that.

Clean break from the comics as well.

9 year old Judith getting head shots with a hand canon or Rick landing on the side of the road after the explosion not the best writing even for TWd.

Not gonna bother watching after this season (or maybe even the rest of this one) and certainly not any of the Rick spin off's.

But they had flagged this was what they where looking to do so good luck to them.

Edited by sne

I think that was as good as it could possibly have been - not saying much, but there it is. At least there's a bit of intrigue now, I've been saying for a long time that the tv show needs to be it's own thing and not abide to a vague representation of the comic story arcs. This represents that chance. 

Â