Do You Give Money to Panhandlers?

maqroll

I do yes - I remember a freezing cold night in Lincoln as I was walking back with my girlfriend to hers after a lovely meal and I gave a homeless fella a few quid, he was sheltering under a bridge. As I was walking away he said softly 'have a nice evening' - it choked me the entire way home, it was such a bitterly cold night. I will always make the effort to at least contribute in some way to those in a similar plight.

It does mean I'm soft touch with it though - on a lighter note a fella who I'm sure wasn't homeless asked me for some money for the bus near my apartment last year, I gave him a couple of quid and he was really grateful, then all of a sudden the woman who lived opposite came out of her house roaring at me, asking if it was my car blocking her in. Then as the fella asking for bus money crossed the road she collared him as well, to which the reply was 'I wish it was mine love..'

My younger daughter works at a medical centre specifically for homeless people and asylum seekers. Some are beggars, some are junkies, some are alcoholics, some are prostitutes. Some are all four, some are none. 

But I'd like to see a few Tory MPs and Daily Mail journalists/readers go on shift with her for a couple of nights. 

• Like 3

I do occasionally, but it depends what mood I am in. I've been a sucker for these hard luck stories in the past and gave £20 to one girl who I felt sorry for. Haven't given since last Christmas when I saw the usual guy in Walsall shivering under a blanket in the snow. Gave him a couple of quid. Never buy the big issue though! Give to food banks as well.

No, because it is a growing issue in my country that people from romania comes and beg. They take a shit in the street, steal from people when they see an opportunity and more will come if they do get money. Also, many of them are organized and their is someone profiting on this. So no, no way. I hate that shit and I really see no reason to. They come here for a 3month vacation to beg for money then leave again. How about f*** off?

yes, to Big Issue sellers.

They are legit as they have have been 'vetted' by the homeless charity, and they are trying to earn a living by selling the magazine.

What i do is give them £1 and don't take the mag, as they can then sell that mag to someone else.

I buy the Big Issue, but only very occasionally give money directly to beggars (rather than Big Issue sellers). I have made donations to homeless charities in the past, and have no issues giving food. There was an occasion one New Years Day, when I gave a homeless guy a can of beer, while walking home from a NYE party. Possibly not the best thing to do, but my thinking was he deserves a beer, if he'd had to sleep rough all night.  

Big issue sellers give them the money but don't take the magazine. Like someone said they are legit and they must buy the the big issue themselves for half the cost...... There's a woman up brum maybe alot of people have seen her she is always asking for 60p for either bus fare or coffee she can do one she been doing this for a few years even when she was pregnant....first time I fell for it because she was pregnant.

Sometimes I give to beggars usually if I am drunk.

Chuggers, I have a policy, if I get stopped by a chugger, I blacklist that charity, they never get a penny off me, same if they cold call me. I let them know this as well so they stop employing chuggers.

I already give a lot to charity though, thankfully its smaller charities that dont feel the need to harass me.

Edited by Seat68

I have a question about Big Issue sellers.

If they don't have a vest on with Big Issue on it then they're not legit are they?

THose ones you get walking around with 1 copy who say "I'm selling the Big Issue, know you don't want my last Big Issue but could you spare a quid?" are just pulling a fast one aren't they?

I give money to beggars if I have some spare change, but these ones I almost feel like not giving any too because they're being sneaky.

Yes I do.  Especially those with dogs.  Note to homeless people in London, get a dog, it pretty well guarantees that I'll give you all the change in my pocket.  Hopeless sap that I am.

Although I never give anything to those people who come up with the "just need two quid to get me train home mate" nonsense.

There was some sort of documentary on about the homeless a while back and they did some tests where they sent a bloke out begging in various locations and then sent the same guy out, at the same time, to the same places, but this time with a dog, and he got way way more money with a dog than he did without.

I don't give money no.

I have occasionally bought the Big Issue, I've offered people a coffee and had it declined more often than not. 

Actually - question on the Big Issue - is part of the deal that in order to sell it you have to be homeless? 

A beggar near me had a dog. It gave him companionship and kept him warm at night. He really looked after it, it ate before him. Some bastards killed it one night. He was terribly upset about it, I felt his pain. Bit of a grim tale for Monday morning, I apologise.

OK I will beg for money here

My Grandson is 7 years old, his two year old cousin has just been diagnosed with Leukaemia. Joe (my grandson) was asking what happened with treatment etc and when he was told that his young cousin would lose his hair, Joe said that he would have his hair shaved to show him that it was OK. When we said about sponsorship he said he would do it as it would make his cousin better and other kids. So with me in begging mode

www.justgiving.com/joseph-sanders

The charity is to support parents with kids with Leukaemia etc

cheers

p.s. we don't have a dog nor can I sing a tune, but once had a big issue with something

Â