The Persona Series

hogso

I wouldn't worry about playing them in chronological order too much. The P2 games have a good rep, although they're far more 'old school' than the later entries in the series. 

P3FES is possibly my favourite, but I played that first, and can't really imagine going back to it now from P5R, such are the QOL improvements. It's not just the entirely procedurally generated dungeon, but the fact you can't control all partner members was backwards when playing it for the first time in 2007, let alone 2021!

So I suppose there is some logic in starting with P3 / P3P / P3FES, as the improvements from game to game with the mechanics are great, and each game does purposefully strike a different tone, so if you find you like the tone of P5 best, then I'd suggest it'll be one of the best JRPGs you'll ever play. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

P5R coming to Xbox in October...followed by P4G...and P3P! Hope they're released on PlayStation 5 too. 

Oh, go on then

It's the best Persona game, hopefully more people get to find out why. If they release it with The Answer, don't bother with it. Ruins what is an awesome ending. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden are now available on PS4/PS5 via PSN.

Which means I no longer have all the trophies for the Persona games available on PS4. Cry. 

I'll get round to them, at some point...

I should probably mention for anyone who hasn't played either game before, that they do have 're-mastered' graphics, but certainly not up to P5's standard, and they've also added a quick save feature which is nice, as the P3 in particular is more akin to a proper dungeon crawler when compared to P5. 

There's also English and Japanese VA options. P3P actually changed how the original P3 and P3FES worked already, insofar as you can control the other team members during battle. You couldn't do that before, so even going back to it from P4 was annoying, let alone anyone who were to try it now after P5. There were some other less than great changes P3P put in place...but it's still a great game. 

Edited by hogso

On 23/01/2023 at 06:26, hogso said:

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden are now available on PS4/PS5 via PSN.

Which means I no longer have all the trophies for the Persona games available on PS4. Cry. 

I'll get round to them, at some point...

I should probably mention for anyone who hasn't played either game before, that they do have 're-mastered' graphics, but certainly not up to P5's standard, and they've also added a quick save feature which is nice, as the P3 in particular is more akin to a proper dungeon crawler when compared to P5. 

There's also English and Japanese VA options. P3P actually changed how the original P3 and P3FES worked already, insofar as you can control the other team members during battle. You couldn't do that before, so even going back to it from P4 was annoying, let alone anyone who were to try it now after P5. There were some other less than great changes P3P put in place...but it's still a great game. 

I like the "Controllable Party" mod for the PS2 FES version, kind of a best of both worlds scenario. I have P3P for the PSP so I don't think I'll be going for the new versions. Maybe on the Switch if it goes on like 75%+ sale or something

Have put a few hours into Persona 5 on the Switch. It looks great, but bloody hell there's an awful lot of clicking through dialogue in the early stages. An awful lot. If anybody's got any tips on tactics and the like I'd be very glad of them.

On 30/01/2023 at 13:06, Risso said:

Have put a few hours into Persona 5 on the Switch. It looks great, but bloody hell there's an awful lot of clicking through dialogue in the early stages. An awful lot. If anybody's got any tips on tactics and the like I'd be very glad of them.

Man, don't ever play Persona 3 or 4 if you think the opening is slow in 5!

The best tip for battles is to make sure to make effective use of enemy weaknesses, you can chain together magic attacks exploiting them to enable special attacks. 

This gets more difficult as you add members to your team, as you might be missing the magic type you need, but that's where your protags ability to use any persona comes in. As such, what ever he uses isn't really judged by what has the best attack power, or spells, but the element/s they use - as well as the resistances they have. 

Yes it's beautifully put together.

"I'll just do a few things, maybe pop into Mementos..."

A week of real life magically vanishes.

Just getting ready for the second palace, any hints or tips on Fusions?

Also, when you take on a shadow, is there any rhyme or reason to who goes first in your team? I'd always want to start with the main character to guarantee a weak exploit, but it seems random at the moment. Am I doing something wrong @Chindie or @hogso

@hogsowill have the definitive answer but IIRC it goes one of 2 ways. In the case of an ambush, the ambushing team goes first in descending order of Agility, followed by the ambushed side, then reverting to tit for tat in Agility order. In a non-ambush battle it just goes in tit for tat order of descending Agility.

Iirc I think the persona Joker has equipped affects his stats.

• Like 1

Chindie has the measure of it. It can make a huge difference getting the first turn in, so may see you prioritising more agile team mates or Persona on MC

• Like 1

Â