The Persona Series

hogso

52 minutes ago, hogso said:

Quick thoughts - it's everything you would expect and hope for as a Persona fan. For a new player I don't think it's quite as accessible as I had read. In fact not at all so. There's still an awful lot of plot to listen to/read that sets everything up so you don't really do an awful lot for the first hour or so, and I wonder what new players will make of that. Hopefully they'll stick with it.

Picking it up tomorrow after work so cheers for the heads up about the first hour.

I'm sure I'll get into it.

Does it have difficulty settings by the way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Picking it up tomorrow after work so cheers for the heads up about the first hour.

I'm sure I'll get into it.

Does it have difficulty settings by the way?

Looking at my play time so far I may have slightly under estimated how long that 'hour' actually it. So, if you find yourself 2 and a half hours in and feel like it's still dragging it's feet gameplay wise, don't worry, you'll be let off the reigns shortly. However, all the set up is required, and the story is worth it, so you'll probably find the time flys by anyway. Although, as I mentioned, I'm certain it will put some off without question, cos western games just aren't like it, and this is very far from the 'sandbox' style of game that is so successful at the moment.

There's some free DLC available from today for the Japanese voice track, some in game items, and a 'Menacing' difficulty level. There are already 4 in game - Safe, Easy, Normal and Hard. You can switch between Easy, Normal and Hard at any time, but if you go for Safe you're stuck at that.

Perhaps unusually I'd actually recommend you go in at Easy. The reason being that most of the fun of the game for me is away from the dungeons, and at the harder difficulty levels dungeons will take longer to clear, require grinding for levels more than likely, and use up more money to buy resources to use.

Time and money are things you will want plenty of in your after school free time. Reading books, eating food, doing the social links, having a part time job, etc. so minimising time spent / required in dungeons is something you'll probably want to think about. The game will force you to clear them by a certain day, so you could do it straight away, you could leave it late...

There's a lot of juggling you'll have to do in regards to saving the world AND/OR being a good student AND/OR being a decent chum. It is incredibly unlikely you will be able to please everyone in a single run through the game. Which is another reason why starting on a low difficulty is fine, as you can always start a new game+ with Persona carried over which will make battles easier.

• Like 1

As a pointer, the game starts on 9th April 20xx. You get your first proper free after school day on 18th April 20xx.

That's when you can decide for yourself when to tackle the dungeon, who to spend time with, what to do in the evening, etc. It's also your first chance to properly explore Shibuya and Yongen-jaya. Which can be pretty intimidating, Tokyo is a scary place! I really appreciated that feeling when you first have to get the train to school, scrambling around, trying to make out what the signs say, asking the attendants for directions...man, frightening.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, hogso said:

I really appreciated that feeling when you first have to get the train to school, scrambling around, trying to make out what the signs say, asking the attendants for directions...man, frightening.

That bit was fantastic!

One thing that stood out from my brief (hour and a half) first play last night was the lack of hand holding. When I was looking for the platform change etc, I was smiling to myself at how it lacked many common video game 'signposting'. I found it very refreshing indeed.

From what i've seen so far, I think it's going to be great. I adore the design style, and the typography is lovely (the designer coming out there) and even from the brief amount i've played it seems to have a very dark undercurrent and themes...

Spoiler

(police brutality / rape etc)

which I find very interesting.

Can't wait to put some serious hours into it over the weekend for a clearer picture.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

That bit was fantastic!

One thing that stood out from my brief (hour and a half) first play last night was the lack of hand holding. When I was looking for the platform change etc, I was smiling to myself at how it lacked many common video game 'signposting'. I found it very refreshing indeed.

From what i've seen so far, I think it's going to be great. I adore the design style, and the typography is lovely (the designer coming out there) and even from the brief amount i've played it seems to have a very dark undercurrent and themes...

Reveal hidden contents

(police brutality / rape etc)

which I find very interesting.

Exactly! I don't know if you've had the chance yet, but wondering round the school trying to find a particular room is very similar. Incredible how quickly you remember the way around afterwards though.

It does indeed deal with some dark themes, and they will only get darker. I don't know if you're much of an anime fan, but the game does often include some tropes I'm used to from that, which a non-anime fan may be very shocked by, or freaking out by, or find just plain hilarious and/or weird. Whatever your reaction I think you'll find that the story will ask a multitude of questions of you, and continue to surprise and intrigue as you progress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

I don't know if you're much of an anime fan, but the game does often include some tropes I'm used to from that, which a non-anime fan may be very shocked by, or freaking out by, or find just plain hilarious and/or weird.

I'm not an expert by any means, but i'm familiar enough with the genre to recognise the influences.

I've been having a read through some of the 'starter guides' for the game and bloody hell, the amount of depth is both encouraging and daunting :D

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Knew I should have preordered this. Just had a look around online and every reputable site is out of stock. Not sure I want to risk some of the lesser known places.

Guess I'll just have to wait for more stock.

• Like 1

I thought you couldn't possibly be looking properly, welp, you apparently were cos I can't find a copy outside of eBay either! 

Cleared the first dungeon and made it to May yesterday. Did the dungeon in a single run to maximise time for other activities and it got rough towards the end, running bare bones with barely any SP or healing items by the end.

Yup, couldn't find one from any place I recognised or thought was legit.

It's fine though, I still haven't finished Breath of the Wild so it's probably for the best I don't own P5 until I do.

• Like 1

@hogso

I have about 7 days left before the first Palace deadline. 

I've stocked up on healing pots and upgraded some of the weapons.

Would you leave it until the last day or so or just go when I think I'm prepped?

• Like 1

@hogso

Would you leave it until the last day or so or just go when I think I'm prepped?

Have you not started the dungeon at all yet? If not I would get in there asap. Put aside plenty of real world hours for it too, you may be surprised by how long it is. 

As such you may need a couple of in game days to clear it. If you consult the group in a save room, Morgana will give you an indication of how far along you are which is useful. 

I'm purposefully not going to hint at most anything in the game (I personally applaud Atlus for blocking sharing stuff in game to protect the story, although understand it must be annoying for some), but a small hint, as the game doesn't tell you this until you get to the treasure  - the mechanic at the end of a dungeon is a bit odd, so I would suggest you push through to the end if you're close, even if you are running low on health and items... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

Yup, couldn't find one from any place I recognised or thought was legit.

It's fine though, I still haven't finished Breath of the Wild so it's probably for the best I don't own P5 until I do.

I've got the game waiting here for me to finish Zelda, but I'm not rushing Zelda as I love it so much... got four days off over Easter, my aim is for P5 then.

• Like 1

Â