The Persona Series

hogso

I've pushed really hard to try and clear dungeons in a single run to maximise time with social links, sorry, confidents and to max out my personality stats ASAP. 

That's not only time consuming, but very expensive. I'm now attempting to clear the third dungeon with literally a handful of items, having had to sell a load so I could buy other stuff. 

If I fail to clear the dungeon its really gonna mess up my routine, and I couldn't be happier about it :D juggling the activities is my favourite aspect of the game I think, so having to find a way to squeeze some more time/points out of my schedule excites me. 

On the subject, I hope you're checking the TV in LeBlanc every night! Sunday has a shopping show on which is infrequently useful, but there's also occasionally a quiz which, if you get the question right, increases knowledge by one, without any progress in time. Same goes for your plant, if you buy it some food, but that increases kindness instead. 

Still can't find this anywhere online. Coming to the end of BotW and really wanted to have this to play next.

Gonna have to check my local shops for any second hand copies, methinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Still can't find this anywhere online. Coming to the end of BotW and really wanted to have this to play next.

Gonna have to check my local shops for any second hand copies, methinks.

It's well worth the effort to track a copy down mate.

It's gaming gold as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It's well worth the effort to track a copy down mate.

It's gaming gold as far as I'm concerned. 

Yeah I just realised I can download it from the PSN Store so no need to wait anymore! I'll start it tomorrow ^_^

• Like 2

Downloaded it and finally had a little play last night. Barely got into it but I like what I see so far.

Had to download the Japanese audio pack from PSN though. Can't do English dubs if I can help it.

• Like 1

Caved in and bought it (was hoping to pick it up later in a sale). It's bl**dy fantastic. The soundtrack isn't quite as good as 4 but the highly stylised theme is the best yet.

Why can't all games be this good?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

The soundtrack isn't quite as good as 4 but the highly stylised theme is the best yet.

True. I bought the P4 costume DLC, which includes music in battles. I was hoping for this

It's not even this 

Truth be told I'm not sure what it really is! Bit apparently the dancing all night DLC has reach out for the truth remix, so I may have to purchase that... 

Played this a few times and haven't gotten too far yet, but I'm hoping the gameplay sections improve soon. Well, not even that, but the amount of cutscenes early on is a bit too much and the only gameplay so far is running around talking to people and some very quick battles where I've had tutorial after tutorial holding my hand the entire time.

Assume it lets me off the leash n the not too distant future. I've just gotten to the bit where Ryuji awakened his Persona.

• Like 1

It's the biggest challenge of the game, no doubt. It's actually a lot better than P3 and P4 believe it or not though. As I said to D1 on the last page, the first proper day you have total free reign is 18th April.

Trust me when I say, you'll be pining for those early days in a way though, as the lack of hand holding can be quite daunting when you need to decide what to do yourself, especially as the months roll by and you have a bunch more confidents available to spend time with. 

As an aside, I think my unexpectedly favourite bit of the game is going to the cinema. The mock titles and piss take scenes that you hear are great :D

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

No posts for 5 days? Come on man. Here's a Morgana gif to re-envigorate the thread

eafefa548aab0044b0e567271901debb0ffefc05

MMMRRRUHWHWHUUWWWWWW

How's everyone getting on? I'm in September, the investigation is really hotting up. I've maxed out 3 confidents so far (Chariot, Lovers and Sun) and a few others aren't too far away. Hierophant is such a nightmare to level up though, I'm not sure I'm going to manage that one too - but I'm aiming for all in a single run.

Think I've nearly unlocked all of the hangout spots too - some really interesting places become available, and as I have remained spoiler-free, some of them were a very pleasent surprise!

Still on the 3rd month, I haven't played it for a week or so but i'm going to have a few hours on it over the weekend.

It's not the sort of game I can just put half an hour or so into - I always need a good couple of hours to really feel like i've progressed.

• Like 1

I'm still on the first castle but I finally got past the hand-holding stage and I have more control. Got to the castle's tower last night and hoped for a Safe Room but couldn't find one so then I backtracked across that courtyard where there's a bunch of high level enemies hoping they wouldn't respawn.

They respawned. Had next to no health. Turned it off knowing I'd have to do the whole ruddy lot from the chapel boss onwards all over again. I'll attempt it tomorrow. Second time is not a charm.

Still a lot of fun, mind you, though I'm not totally up to scratch on all the systems yet. Seems kinda complex and I'm afraid I'm going to mess up and struggle for a while.

• Like 1

SP management can not be underestimated when clearing dungeons. I clear them in a single run to allow for more free days, and I can tell you from experience that every single SP and HP/SP recovery item is important. If you identify a weakness in an enemy, great, use as few low leveled magics/gun attacks as possible to put them all down, then hit them with an all out attack or negotiate, depending on whether you're prioritising exp, money, or persona gathering.

If you face an enemy or group of enemies and you're confident you can take it down with physical attacks only, do it - you'll probably find taking a few more attacks and then healing up a little after the battle will cost less SP than using magic to end the battle more quickly. Once you get a few more team members, and have one or more in reserve who can use healing abilities, they can be used after battle to heal up. During the last dungeon I cleared I was healing after every single battle - but I still made it through in one run (barely).

A few small tips, especially useful in early dungeons in addition to the above - buy all the SP healing items from the vending machines next to the bath house (opposite Le Blanc) and the school courtyard. They only heal 5 SP, and you can only buy 3 at a time until they're out of stock, but they're dirt cheap (Y100 I think) and can be a god send. They're re-stocked every Monday, so try and buy them every time you can.

As I would suggest mostly relying on physical attacks, spend as much Yen as you think you can afford an upgrading weapons for everyone. They'll really speed up battles.

Finally, and possibly most importantly - use multiple saves! Maybe something like one at the start of the week, one before going in to the dungeon, and one in the dungeon. That way if you realise you're not quite prepped you can go back out of the dungeon before you start it, and if you find yourself way out of your depth, you can go back further to prep more efficiently.

• Like 2

^^ Good advice, cheers @hogso

I generally use the magic enemies are weak to for hold ups and I've collected a fair few Personas that way (I actually collected my limit so I'm going to have to combine some though I was waiting to level up to LV 9 first) or got a lot of Yen that way. For the most part I'm not struggling too much, I just could have done with another Safe Room at that point.

The second time through shouldn't be too bad, and I also won't be daft enough to find out what that glowing red thing is since it was a freaking ambush by four high level enemies, that set me back a bit. 

I've heard clearing dungeons in the first three days is a good approach as it frees you up for much more so that was my original plan. Not sure I could do it in a single run but maybe I'll try and do two in future. I'll definitely hit up the vending machines and upgrade my weapons though, cheers.

Also heard increasing your relationship with the weird clinic doctor can reap good rewards later on so I've made her a priority.

• Like 1

In regards to dungeon clearance, yes, the Death confident is good - one of the levels opens up some SP recovery accessories which are super useful (but super expensive, as you can imagine). Then again, there are a number of confidents that have really handy features for use in dungeons so...

The only other thing I'd mention is what I said to D1 earlier in the thread, and this is the only time I will come close to posting spoilers in the thread, as I feel it's something you really might not be expecting at all on your first push through a dungeon - the game does not force you in to a boss battle once you 'clear' the dungeon. You have to take some action in the real world, then go back, and beat the boss. I mention it as it can significantly change your actions from "I'm close to the end of this dungeon, better make sure I can take out the boss so I'll leave first to prep" to "I'm close to the end of this dungeon, I'll push through and prep once it's cleared", which will save you a good chunk of time.

What difficulty are you playing on by the way?

Ah that's good to know, thanks. So far I've done around half the castle (assuming the tower is about halfway) and I'm on Wednesday. I skipped going to the castle on Monday to visit the doctor but I was hoping I could go to the castle after. Turns out I couldn't.

I'm on Normal difficulty. I haven't run into any trouble under normal circumstances but I ran out of healing items and SP after defeating all the enemies in the courtyard leading to the tower, hoping for a Safe Room to save in shortly after but no dice. That's when I tried backtracking and hoped the enemies wouldn't respawn. Tried sneaking past but got caught so I turned it off. I'll try again later on today and keep your advice in mind.

• Like 1

When you enter the first palace a second time it's a good idea to grind the lower levels with melee/gun weapons only. You'll gain a lot of xp, money and treasure without burning a lot of sp.

• Like 1

Â