The Persona Series

hogso

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Hype for me died sometime ago. I'm not sure why. I think it's that the wait has just been too long.

I will play the shit out of it when I do get it though.

I'm still really excited. I just haven't found enough games I have enjoyed, so this one will be a welcome relief. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've read that Amazon have been cancelling pre orders of the Take Your Heart edition - the latest in a long line of issues with Amazon pre-orders, most recently with the switch and BotW. 

I don't think I'll ever use them again for pre-orders. Shop-to have never let me down, as yet. 

OK, I've only just become aware of this and from the gameplay video I watched it looks right up my street (a little bit of Ni No Kuni in there which is never a bad thing) so i'm going to ask the standard 'Do I need to have played any of the other games to play this?' question.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

OK, I've only just become aware of this and from the gameplay video I watched it looks right up my street (a little bit of Ni No Kuni in there which is never a bad thing) so i'm going to ask the standard 'Do I need to have played any of the other games to play this?' question.

Naw. There's some fan service in so much that costumes/uniforms may mimic previous games, or share music, but the only thing that really crosses over are the Persona themselves (much like FF and Dragon Quest, certain Persona are kinda like mascots of the series now) and the mysterious Igor and his Velvet Room. 

I understand the link between Ni no Kuni and Persona (anime style, turn based RPG, 'collectable' summons/familiars) but in truth they're actually quite different. The tone is usually much much darker in Persona, and the Arcana relationships/friendships are unlike pretty much anything in gaming outside of dating sims. 

Excellent series, 3 & 4 are incredibly good games. 

Edited by hogso

1 minute ago, hogso said:

Naw. There's some fan service in so much that costumes/uniforms may mimic previous games, or share music, but the only thing that really crosses over are the Persona themselves (much like FF and Dragon Quest, certain Persona are kinda like mascots of the series now) and the mysterious Igor and his Velvet Room. 

I understand the link between Ni no Kuni and Persona (anime style, turn based RPG, 'collectable' summons/familiars) but in truth they're actually quite different. The tone is usually much much darker in Persona, and the Arcana relationships/friendships and unlike pretty much anything outside of dating sims. 

Excellent series, 3 & 4 are incredibly good games. 

Sold :thumb:

Looks like balancing game time between Nier Automata and this then :)

• Like 1

Persona 3 and 4 are fantastic - worth picking up a Vita just to play them. Expect a fair amount of reading though - They both have long setups IIRC. 

The only link between 3 & 4 comes in the fighting game which is pretty fun with some good stories.

• Like 2

Various reviews popping up, OPM UK gave it a perfect score, Edge gave it 8/10. I believe for most the embargo is up tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would expect nothing less.

GC gave it a 9 too, referring to it as one of the best games this gen, and more specifically, one of the best RPGs ever (Japanese or otherwise!) 

Seems that the only thing really holding it back is the stubbornly old school turn based combat system. Also some grumbling about the graphics, but lest we forget, this is a Ps3 game which has been in development for years. 

As off putting as that will be to many (if they get over the initial anime-ness), they've really upped the accessibility of the game, gone are the mandatory randomly generated dungeons (but there are optional ones), there's improved use of online to show how other people are using their in game days, no major scenes played out via talking heads, and perhaps most significantly is the first hour or so of the game. 

I dread to think how many people had P3 and P4 recommended to them and put it down after 90 minutes having literally only pressed x. Completely done away with here. 

Really excited for this again now, hard to believe it's very nearly finally here! I had my TYH edition order confirmation earlier today too. Now I just need to iron my Junes shirt in prep... 

tumblr_loy8j1mynn1qbdgqxo1_500.gif

It's currently the no. 3 in the all time best reviewed by critics list for PS4 on Metacritic, behind GTA V and Last of Us Remastered. And before any says anything, yes I know it's not really reliable or indicitative of the 'best' games (Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't make the top 20 (but Zero Escape: Nonary Games does make the top 40 which is great!)), but that's a pretty spectacular result for what would have been considered a niche game before this.

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd look at the other mainline Persona games and how they ranked. P4 ('09 EU) doesn't quite make the top 50 on PS2, and both P3 and P3 FES (Q1 '08 and Q4 '08 EU) are further back, but if you want to include P4G ('13 EU), that's no. 1 for Vita, unsurprisingly.

I'm not going to bother checking Persona 4 Arena (PS3 '13 EU), Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3 '14), Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita '15) and Persona Q (3DS '14), I'll just assume they're all ranked very high on their respective systems. And yes they are all things, I'm not taking the mick. I own three of them. And yes, the Vita game is indeed a Persona themed rhythm game :D

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Had email confirmation that my TYH edition will be delivered on Monday, and I'll get an hour delivery slot in the morning. Hopefully it'll be afternoon so I'll be able to go home to get it, and not to bother going back to work... 

Tip for new players - ensure you change 'advance on voice' to yes. 

And what the **** have they done to Igor's voice?! It's horrible! 

Quick thoughts - it's everything you would expect and hope for as a Persona fan. For a new player I don't think it's quite as accessible as I had read. In fact not at all so. There's still an awful lot of plot to listen to/read that sets everything up so you don't really do an awful lot for the first hour or so, and I wonder what new players will make of that. Hopefully they'll stick with it.

Â