What's the Worst Job You've Ever Had?

maqroll

I can't say I've ever had a really shitty job.  I've had a couple of boring jobs I should have left long before I eventually did.  I have worked for a couple of absolute rocket polisher managers in the past though.

One waged a two-year war against me after I had reported him for letting me down badly on a job opportunity.  I was due to work in Tijuana for three months, teaching the local people how to use x-ray equipment to inspect ducting for aeroplane engines.  I turned down another job to do this, knowing I would pretty much earn £1000/week for the three months.  It never happened, and he then tried everything he could to stop it happening.  I reported him to a counsel within the company, but at the head office in the US, and the investigation filtered down to him rather than the usual  grievance procedure which never works anywhere ever.  He got a massive bollocking for his behaviour towards me, and I got a compensation payment.

After that, he stopped my overtime, took me off the shifts I had worked for years, lied about risk assessments (that never happened) to try and make me wear different clothes at work (seriously) and regularly called me to his office (a good 5 minutes walk from where I was working) just to give me demotivational bollockings.  It was known around the company that he had an issue with me and wanted revenge for me reporting him.  Two years later, I reported that another guy was doing a job outside of the procedure which had been agreed with the customer to prevent a product recall and he ignored it.  I tried to get evidence that the other guy was not doing his job right, and he used it against me, saying I had sabotaged a product.  I hadn't.  I got sacked.  It was the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I see the guy now and again in the local area.  He pretty much shits himself when he sees me but I just don't acknowledge him.  He is a cockmaster of epic proportions, who I wouldn't even give the steam off my piss, let alone the effort it would take to make eye contact with him.

Another manager at a different company a number of years ago had handed a couple of projects onto me with one of our more difficult customers.  I did everything that was asked of me  on the project, but he failed to notify the customer I was working on the project.  When it came round to the annual appraisal, he had printed out 92 emails from the customer, and sat with the technical director and HR manager, with the pile in front of him, asking why I had not responded to them.  I hadn't even been sent them!  My name didn't appear on any of the emails.  I walked back to my office, collected my laptop and returned to the appraisal, with Outlook on the screen, and proceeded to show all in the room the folder I kept for emails from that customer, and the response times/dates.  Not one email had been with me for more than two hours before I had investigated and responded.

His recourse?  He told me I should have contacted the customer to introduce myself as the new project engineer.  This was not possible.  This is a major, if not the biggest, automotive manufacturer in the world, and employs hundreds of thousands of people.  There was no way I could possibly even locate the correct contact, other than to go through my manager, which he should have done at the project handover.  Three weeks later, I was told there would be one redundancy in the team, and that my position was the one to go.  

Not that fussed, I was looking to leave at the time, and the redundancy pay-off made my relocation to the south west a bit easier...

Second case sounds like constructive dismissal to me. If you wanted to you could have taken them to the cleaners!

Ive been relatively lucky that I've never had a terrible job. My mom maaged a hotel when I was growing up so most of my part time work was done there, which wasn't amazing but never terrible.

BUt I would say that I would absolutey despise anything to do with telesales and cold calling.

Not only the morality of it, but I would be terrible at it. I wouldn't last a day in a job like that.

Ah, working nights on the track at Land Rover.  If you want to see how much of a word removed you can be, that's one sure fire way to bring it out.  Did that for years, swore I'd never work a night shift ever again.

Edited by MMFy

Worked in a creamery lifting frozen blocks of butter and putting them into a machine at 6.00am and then packing garlic butter. Overalls left at the back door before being allowed into the house.

Also had to strip out a burned building. 

fluffer

packed it in straight after the first 16 years 

The first 16 years are the worst, you could have kept at it instead of finishing it prematurely.

Nobody was more surprised than me, I just hadn't seen it coming.

• Like 1

I've cleaned student accomodation after a year's usage, getting coathangers down the shower drains and pulling out the largest clumps of body hair you are ever likely to see (I once genuinely thought one was a dead rat). And yes, there was plenty of month old man juice stuck in there too. Also cleaned student kitchens. Needless to say most switched the fridge freezers off and left without clearing out their food. By the time we got to the last few kitchens the food had been in there defrosting for a good couple of months.

All of this, however, was a dream compared to working at Tescos stacking shelves when I was in school. I had the worst manager, she was an evil bitch, and two lazy evil cows that worked during the days who would leave everything in the most disorganised mess meaning I had to rearrange all the stock for an hour so I could get to the older stuff which had been blocked in right at the back of the store room. Then when the manager found out why stock was so slow to get on the shelves, they stuck together and blamed it on me and she believed them. words removed.

That job cleaning my uni's hall of residence over the summer wasn't so bad though, it was pretty laidback and the people were nice (we also had some foreign girls stay because they were part of a teaching English as a foreign language scheme and that lead to fun times. If I had been cleaning the showers and kitchens every day, it would have been torture, but I got to stay in halls again and the other people I lived and worked with were really fun. Good times.

fluffer

The first 16 years are the worst, you could have kept at it instead of finishing it prematurely.

Hope you managed to find another stimulating job.

fluffer

I did yes, but I had to start at the bottom.

• Like 1

fluffer

I did yes, but I had to start at the bottom.

And slowly work your way up?

• Like 1

I've never really had a shitty "proper" job. When I was a kid I did things like delivering papers and working as a petrol pump attendant, but in my adult life I've only really had a few. Worked on the tills in a petrol station, which would probably be the worst if I had to rank them, but I really enjoyed it. Had a stint in a call centre selling payment protection insurance for Barclays and made an absolute fortune from my shady selling techniques. They were supposed to fail people who ran a little too close to the line  for their sales, but I was racking up 20-30 a day compared to the company average of 3-4, so they let me get away with murder. I wonder how much money I cost Barclays with these lawsuits around falsely sold PPI actually...

no, to be honest I've never had a job I didn't really enjoy and I would agree with posts above that it's the people that make most jobs acceptable or horrible

Had a few pangs of doubt in myself whilst working in an off license selling booze to alcoholics, so I moved on. Didn't solve the problem of drunks getting drink, but it moved off being directly my fault, which is a bit weak but there you go.

Â