Jump to content

What is your experience of mental health?


AstonMartyn88
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 17/07/2021 at 22:28, Peckham Wanderer said:

Where to start? I read your msg at a ridiculously early time this morning (insomnia) & it's been bothering me ever since. I wanted to say something but didn't want to come across as an arse...

You're being unnecessarily hard on yourself. You've had an awful lot to deal with in a short space of time. You can see how recent events have affected your other half, have given her leeway & understand her reactions but you don't do the same for yourself? It's fine being stoic but at the moment it's not helpful. You need to talk to her about your stuff. It may shift a lot of weight off your shoulders. 

Covid has pushed a lot of us into a tailspin, even those who didn't have underlying problems. I've had depression 1/2 my life. My counsellor (by phone) has been a Godsend. I just need to vent mostly, I don't need someone to fix anything, I just need someone to listen. Also, I have used the Samaritans before - they're wonderful at listening, non-judgementally and confidentially and are patient. 

You said you lost your best friend to suicide. I am so sorry. This in itself is a lot to deal with. Talking therapy might help you? Search online for help from suicide/bereavement charities?

And on that note, please don't. It sometimes just takes a little thing to dissuade you. The only time I thought seriously of chucking myself off a bridge (in Dublin) I realised I was wearing a brand new AV bench coat & didn't want to get it wrecked in the mud...

I hope some/any of this has helped. Feel free to give me a shout through DM. Take care.

Hi @Peckham Wanderer

First of all apologies I havent replied to you! Life has been a million miles an hour recently as per usual!

Thank you for reaching out, it means a lot for people to listen and react to the feelings I expressed in here. I like you dont need fixing but just need someone to listen to me most of the time to let it all out. I do struggle with it most of the times but in the right situation I can. Those situations being my best mate who I dont get to see too often due to commitments etc and then on here believe or not. I find it much easier to communicate with strangers over tough subjects like this.

Things at much calmer at home after my post the other week. After initially taking my see a doctor comment the wrong way a couple of weeks back, my partner is now having regular counselling sessions with a professional which is a positive. She has commented how much its helping her, seems to me like she is in a better place at the moment also. We both had a long chat about things the day after the bust up and have tried to implement things to help along the way in our day to day life. We try and check in once a week when kids are in bed to keep on top of what's going on in each others heads. Been tough for me to open up, I feel stupid for some reason at times??? I am getting a little better at it though! Importantly though everything at the moment is at least ok so for once we are feeling in a good place in our minds. 

I used Samaritans the night of my OP, that helped me soooooo much and opened up an avenue for help which I had never used before. Huge amount of love and respect for them, I'm absolutely going to raise/donate money to them at some point as they are a vital service, especially nowadays.

Sounds like you have been through some rough times too mate, and I'm glad that you didn't do it either.. the coat thing made me smile as that is exactly the kind of absolute minute thing in this world that would stop me too!!

Thanks for your post, nothing arsey about it. Straight talking which is what I like. I will certainly DM you! Offer is there to you also mate if i can help at all 👍🏻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leighavfc said:

Hi @Peckham Wanderer

First of all apologies I havent replied to you! Life has been a million miles an hour recently as per usual!

Thank you for reaching out, it means a lot for people to listen and react to the feelings I expressed in here. I like you dont need fixing but just need someone to listen to me most of the time to let it all out. I do struggle with it most of the times but in the right situation I can. Those situations being my best mate who I dont get to see too often due to commitments etc and then on here believe or not. I find it much easier to communicate with strangers over tough subjects like this.

Things at much calmer at home after my post the other week. After initially taking my see a doctor comment the wrong way a couple of weeks back, my partner is now having regular counselling sessions with a professional which is a positive. She has commented how much its helping her, seems to me like she is in a better place at the moment also. We both had a long chat about things the day after the bust up and have tried to implement things to help along the way in our day to day life. We try and check in once a week when kids are in bed to keep on top of what's going on in each others heads. Been tough for me to open up, I feel stupid for some reason at times??? I am getting a little better at it though! Importantly though everything at the moment is at least ok so for once we are feeling in a good place in our minds. 

I used Samaritans the night of my OP, that helped me soooooo much and opened up an avenue for help which I had never used before. Huge amount of love and respect for them, I'm absolutely going to raise/donate money to them at some point as they are a vital service, especially nowadays.

Sounds like you have been through some rough times too mate, and I'm glad that you didn't do it either.. the coat thing made me smile as that is exactly the kind of absolute minute thing in this world that would stop me too!!

Thanks for your post, nothing arsey about it. Straight talking which is what I like. I will certainly DM you! Offer is there to you also mate if i can help at all 👍🏻

Cheers 👍 & you're v. welcome 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter has OCD and anxiety and depression. Thats a trifecta if I ever saw one. One of the things that starts her off is seeing a severn trent van in our street as although it has never happened ever she is fearful of shit backing up into the house. 
A manhole cover in the garage seaped waste water last night and we have severn trent round. She is working upstairs and they kindly parked round the corner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy isn’t it what triggers some people off. My missus has some anxiety thing over holes that are joined together. A bit like a crumpet is. Apparently it’s not that uncommon. You get pictures of them posted on social media and it really triggers my missus off. She has to quickly look away or it gives her a horrible feeling which can last for hours 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

So my tumour hasn't grown between my my last scan which is a huge positive, next week I have another mri again

 

That’s great news Jim. How long has it been between scans? Hope you are doing well chap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve had to go back on my citalopram. Starting them tonight again. Weened myself off them about a year ago as I felt I didn’t need them anymore. Even looking back now it was the right decision at the time . I’ve noticed the last few weeks things have been building up again , and I spoke to my wife Friday about it. Then BANG I lost my head at the weekend. Couldn’t cope with the kids, couldn’t cope with the house , dogs, and just normal day to day shit. Had a good chat to my sister in law Sunday which helped and made me feel better , but yea it all came to an head over the weekend. I’ve felt it brewing for a few weeks but didn’t realise what the problem was until the weekend. Basically struggling with the pressures of day to day life and being a parent . I’m a stress head anyway and most of the time In my head it’s full revs or close to it , so doesn’t take much for things to get on top of me, although I just about keep a lid on it normally. Anyway not pleased about going back on medication, but needs must. When the time comes I’ll stop them again .

All the best Ruge. Hope things improve soon mate. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

All the best Ruge. Hope things improve soon mate. 

Yeah it’s no biggie. Went years without medication when I needed it and it was pretty grim at times. It’s a big step for anyone especially a bloke to go the doctors and admit stuff . I was always against taking stuff like that, which was pretty ironic with my drink and drug past. My doctor is ace , he’s one of the lads if you know what I mean and talks to you like a mate. It’s not heavy medication, so not too bad . Thanks anyway 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
45 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve had to go back on my citalopram. Starting them tonight again. Weened myself off them about a year ago as I felt I didn’t need them anymore. Even looking back now it was the right decision at the time . I’ve noticed the last few weeks things have been building up again , and I spoke to my wife Friday about it. Then BANG I lost my head at the weekend. Couldn’t cope with the kids, couldn’t cope with the house , dogs, and just normal day to day shit. Had a good chat to my sister in law Sunday which helped and made me feel better , but yea it all came to an head over the weekend. I’ve felt it brewing for a few weeks but didn’t realise what the problem was until the weekend. Basically struggling with the pressures of day to day life and being a parent . I’m a stress head anyway and most of the time In my head it’s full revs or close to it , so doesn’t take much for things to get on top of me, although I just about keep a lid on it normally. Anyway not pleased about going back on medication, but needs must. When the time comes I’ll stop them again .

Sorry to hear that Ruge.

The really good thing is that you've  recognised you're having issues again and taken a step to address them.

That in itself is a huge positive.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve had to go back on my citalopram. Starting them tonight again. Weened myself off them about a year ago as I felt I didn’t need them anymore. Even looking back now it was the right decision at the time . I’ve noticed the last few weeks things have been building up again , and I spoke to my wife Friday about it. Then BANG I lost my head at the weekend. Couldn’t cope with the kids, couldn’t cope with the house , dogs, and just normal day to day shit. Had a good chat to my sister in law Sunday which helped and made me feel better , but yea it all came to an head over the weekend. I’ve felt it brewing for a few weeks but didn’t realise what the problem was until the weekend. Basically struggling with the pressures of day to day life and being a parent . I’m a stress head anyway and most of the time In my head it’s full revs or close to it , so doesn’t take much for things to get on top of me, although I just about keep a lid on it normally. Anyway not pleased about going back on medication, but needs must. When the time comes I’ll stop them again .

Ah sorry to hear that, but glad you’re getting help. I’m pretty much the exact same way, and I’m also on citalopram.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 07/08/2021 at 14:55, Rugeley Villa said:

Crazy isn’t it what triggers some people off. My missus has some anxiety thing over holes that are joined together. A bit like a crumpet is. Apparently it’s not that uncommon. You get pictures of them posted on social media and it really triggers my missus off. She has to quickly look away or it gives her a horrible feeling which can last for hours 

Trypophobia?  Yeah it's a weird one, I have that to an extent thought it's not something I have to deal with on a day to day basis thankfully.  Just glancing at a photo of a bees nest for example causes me to panic and I can't help but look away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Eidolon said:

I've been doing a lot better with a formerly pretty bad drinking problem up to tonight, went to the doctors with a few odd things going on expecting to get told I'm stressed and maybe CFS at the worst only to get a very worried looking doctor and a blood test done to screen for Huntington's (my grandfather had it) I'm sure the likely outcome is probably less severe but I'm a bit disappointed in myself to be a bottle and a half of red down this evening...I've been scared of this particular skeleton in my family closet for a while

But at least you’ve recognised that there is a proper valid reason for having a few more glasses than usual tonight. You are only human. Recognise and accept it’s happened tonight but don’t beat yourself up about it too much, put it down to what’s going on plus life stresses and try and chalk it up as a one off. Good luck with the doctors. All the best.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Trypophobia?  Yeah it's a weird one, I have that to an extent thought it's not something I have to deal with on a day to day basis thankfully.  Just glancing at a photo of a bees nest for example causes me to panic and I can't help but look away.

Yeah that’s the one Troon and a good example 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


For months (even during COVID) I had some issues that wouldn’t go away, but they didn’t cause any problems. My mental health has deteriorated since I had COVID, but more so as I found out that I have MS (relapsing, reoccurring) and my confidence and mental health is smashed to pieces, I don’t know if I know who I am anymore 🤷‍♂️

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â