AstonMartyn88

What is your experience of mental health?

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

That's ok, I'm fine with someone else doing you in with the cheese wire

Ahh that's cute, I like cheese.

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Makes you wonder how often he was on soccer Saturday pissed up too (or at least under the influence).

I wasn’t expecting to see that scene last night, I think a lot of people from both sides of the equation would be able to relate to it.

And fair play to Merse cos many many people wouldn’t have said anything particularly to Razor Ruddock

I honestly think this is the power of the 12 programs. Recovering addicts have that awareness of what other addicts are doing, and don’t brush it under the carpet or make excuses for people.

”Normal” drinkers / users don’t always appreciate what’s going on - they see a health problem, definitely, but they don’t always see what’s happening inside that person’s head.

I finally got round to watching this today, and it had me in tears to be honest. You can see Razor has just surrounded himself with enablers and hangers on for decades and has dug himself into a pantomime geezer hole, and it took massive balls for Merson to call him out on it like that.

One of the hardest things on the road to recovery is working out who the negative influences on your life are - the ones who refuse to be a positive influence - and ditching them. Not always easy when the positive influences are the ones saying very difficult things about your character.

• Like 1

Keep your coins, I want change.

Restarted my volunteer work with the homeless. Before I would work an 11pm-7am shift once a fortnight for the Salvation Army in a shelter/cafe where we had between 2-5 staff and volunteers combined on the floor or in the kitchen, and over 100 homeless set up a bed in our space overnight, with hundreds walking through the door for a feed overnight. Thankfully I am now only doing one shift per week that goes for 1-2 hours and we have adequate numbers of volunteers for the amount of homeless who gather for our BBQ's. I'm considering returning to the Salvation Army on a once a month basis because I know how much of a nightmare it can be for the staff and volunteers there, but also for other reasons which I won't bore you with.

I remember learning one day that we had done a survey of Melbourne's homeless and over 70% reported child sex abuse. What struck me, more than the sheer numbers of child sexual abuse, is oftentimes, in the mainstream and among common folk, the mentality is that being homeless is a lifestyle choice, that these people did and are doing it to themselves. Now, that to me these days, is almost like saying to a child that has been raped, "you did it to yourself". And that is deplorable and despicable. As with the law, ignorance is no excuse.

My experience of mental health among the homeless, is that they know they are being shortchanged, and spat on in the process, and that's exactly why they are oftentimes miserable.

Â