What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

I seem to be in a constant state of being pissed off at the moment, it's starting to affect my daily life as I'm being a lot more cynical and bullish with friends/family/people in general. I'm not sure what to do about it as I know if it continues then people will just back off from me and I don't want that.  

Missus is great but her divorce like mine is trundling on and we cant really enjoy our relationship until its sorted on both sides, her son is great, roof over my head, money is ok, works ok etc... don't know. Maybe a build up of things over the last few years with the marriage with ex breaking down, leaving marital home, work has been crap for years but ok at the moment. Maybe I haven't stopped to take stock of it all and now its catching up? It doesn't feel like stress but then how do I tell? 

The one thing I am worried about is that while we haven't been consciously trying a lot to have a baby we aren't using any precautions either and nothing is happening yet. Got me worried a little bit about fatherhood and if it'll ever happen for me. 

The one thing that does actually upset me and makes me feel helpless is the state of the world at the moment, nothing makes sense and everyone hates each other it feels. If I think about it too much I find it a bit overwhelming if I'm honest. I took a break from social media, left here for a bit, ignored the news etc... but I still feel crap.

Sorry if this is rambling a bit but I'm very conscious that my presence here lately is barely tolerated and im getting into arguments I normally wouldn't get into. I know my posts are a lot more bullish then usual and a few weeks ago I got ripped apart unfairly imo (even though some other posters reactions are smugly dickish) that doesn't excuse my manner in my interactions here.

I recognise that something isnt right at the mo with my general demeanour but I'm just not sure on the practical steps on what to do to get back to feeling content and happy again. I don't want to feel cynical and bitter, especially when on the surface there doesn't seem to be sany valid reasons for it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Sorry if this is rambling a bit but I'm very conscious that my presence here lately is barely tolerated 

I am positive this isn't the case at all.

As for the other things, just keep trying with the baby stuff. I know it's incredibly stressful, but don't put your worth on stuff like that. You seem like a decent enough guy - the fact you give a shit about the state of the World shows that. I try to focus on what is in my control, worrying about things out of your control can be incredibly stressful. I know it's easier said than done.

• Like 1

@Ingram85 I sometimes stress about the world. I sometimes wish I hadn’t of brought kids into it, but it’s all part of the cog and what will be will be. As the song goes, all we are is another brick in the wall. That could make people depressed, but in the same breath take it for what it is. We are here, and we are here to make mistakes and learn from them. We are also not here to solely feel happy and it’s in our dna to feel tired and pissed off at times. Life is a struggle at times, and sometimes it would be so much easier to throw some rope around your neck and be done with it.    We are nothing to 99.99% of the earth but to certain people we are everything in their world. Everything us normal folk do will soon be forgotten as time passes by. Another brick in the wall. Let’s just hope we get our fair quota on this planet of good and evil. 

• Like 2

Sometimes everything being ok is a dangerous place to be, with nothing to aspire or look forward to and nothing to regret or vow to change it’s quite easy to get stuck in a limbo of sorts. If it’s not that it’s also easy to get into that reflective frame of mind that if nothing is wrong then why aren’t I happier.

Not sure if there is a right or wrong response to it all really, that’s just life I guess.

• Like 1

Maybe you need a break away @Ingram85? I felt much better after having a week off work and having a few days by the seaside in Norfolk. Just time away from your own house helps as well! I know it sounds strange but I wouldn't have relaxed as much if I stayed at home. A change of scenery did me good. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2019 at 02:23, Ingram85 said:

I seem to be in a constant state of being pissed off at the moment, it's starting to affect my daily life as I'm being a lot more cynical and bullish with friends/family/people in general. I'm not sure what to do about it as I know if it continues then people will just back off from me and I don't want that.  

Missus is great but her divorce like mine is trundling on and we cant really enjoy our relationship until its sorted on both sides, her son is great, roof over my head, money is ok, works ok etc... don't know. Maybe a build up of things over the last few years with the marriage with ex breaking down, leaving marital home, work has been crap for years but ok at the moment. Maybe I haven't stopped to take stock of it all and now its catching up? It doesn't feel like stress but then how do I tell? 

The one thing I am worried about is that while we haven't been consciously trying a lot to have a baby we aren't using any precautions either and nothing is happening yet. Got me worried a little bit about fatherhood and if it'll ever happen for me. 

The one thing that does actually upset me and makes me feel helpless is the state of the world at the moment, nothing makes sense and everyone hates each other it feels. If I think about it too much I find it a bit overwhelming if I'm honest. I took a break from social media, left here for a bit, ignored the news etc... but I still feel crap.

Sorry if this is rambling a bit but I'm very conscious that my presence here lately is barely tolerated and im getting into arguments I normally wouldn't get into. I know my posts are a lot more bullish then usual and a few weeks ago I got ripped apart unfairly imo (even though some other posters reactions are smugly dickish) that doesn't excuse my manner in my interactions here.

I recognise that something isnt right at the mo with my general demeanour but I'm just not sure on the practical steps on what to do to get back to feeling content and happy again. I don't want to feel cynical and bitter, especially when on the surface there doesn't seem to be sany valid reasons for it.  

Real talk. And can I just echo what @kurtsimonw has said.

Look man, the world is messed up because that's the way we've made it, and it's easy and convenient to think that nothing can change it.

That would require exploring possibilities and seeking improved ways of forming our relationship to ourselves, each other and our environment.

It will require a concerted effort to discuss some unpleasant truths about our leading institutions and how they shape our world and reality before we can experience any change.

Pessimism is an emotion, not a philosophy. By nature it is self-defeating. Don't give in to that crap.

I can only speak for myself, but I have no idea as to why your presence would be barely tolerated on here. There is zero issue with yourself from my end.

I haven't been online for a few weeks, so can't speak for what may've transpired between you and other members, but don't be too hard on yourself even if you have been out of sorts.

I think the introspection you've displayed above shows that you are aware enough to understand any situation with insight and perspective.

None of us are infallible. So don't beat yourself up, ever. Use that energy purposefully.

For what it's worth I can respect someone being cynical and bullish, I mean, if it's warranted. No one wants to be bitter, that would mean having been treated unfairly.

Unfortunately I think there are many valid reasons to be cynical and bitter. Hell, I've just had a back and forth with an indigenous Australian woman on facebook.

Think she has a chip or two on her shoulder about the state of the world?

Use your bullish energy to initiate and engage whatever changes or purpose is of interest for you. Expressing yourself honestly means you can introspect thoroughly and freely.

How is anyone free if they are required to be happy and content only for the sake of keeping up appearances, even when their circumstances evoke other emotions?

I have been getting by okay of late I would say, trying to keep positivity and busy at the same time and been feeling generally okay in myself.  Sun is out and trips to the Beach when possible to keep the good mood vibes topped up.

Today I was busy from early on working, and decided to boot into McDonald's on my travels. I grabbed 2 Bacon Rolls and a Lge Cappuccino.. 

Within 40 minutes of finishing the stuff I have had this wave of a weird feeling arrive and I have felt depressed as **** all day.

I can't put my finger on it but I've been on one big downer since this morning and all I can link it back to is that.

I am not a big fan of the place anyway and I was in two minds whether to go but I was starving, but if this is what the shit does to you then **** that.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2019 at 17:55, Xela said:

Maybe you need a break away @Ingram85? I felt much better after having a week off work and having a few days by the seaside in Norfolk. Just time away from your own house helps as well! I know it sounds strange but I wouldn't have relaxed as much if I stayed at home. A change of scenery did me good. 

That is a great anti-depressant that location and a plethora of great little towns and villages within it.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 22:45, AVFCDAN said:

Not sure if there is a right or wrong response to it all really, that’s just life I guess.

There is no right or wrong response - other than life is utterly shit, obviously.

18 hours ago, snowychap said:

There is no right or wrong response - other than life is utterly shit, obviously.

Not all the time, surely?

Edited by Xela

On 04/07/2019 at 17:29, AvfcRigo82 said:

I have been getting by okay of late I would say, trying to keep positivity and busy at the same time and been feeling generally okay in myself.  Sun is out and trips to the Beach when possible to keep the good mood vibes topped up.

Today I was busy from early on working, and decided to boot into McDonald's on my travels. I grabbed 2 Bacon Rolls and a Lge Cappuccino.. 

Within 40 minutes of finishing the stuff I have had this wave of a weird feeling arrive and I have felt depressed as **** all day.

I can't put my finger on it but I've been on one big downer since this morning and all I can link it back to is that.

I am not a big fan of the place anyway and I was in two minds whether to go but I was starving, but if this is what the shit does to you then **** that.

Another good reason to avoid that crap. 

• Like 2

On 04/07/2019 at 22:29, AvfcRigo82 said:

You've put me right off my chicken mcnuggets now! 

• Haha 1

It's been a long day today. I don't know where I'd be at if I didn't have sport in my life.

Saw my social worker today (oddly Sundays are his only available day) and a lot came up. I broke down for the first time in a long time, but it was healthy.

I currently have a dear friend staying at my house who has been homeless for years. It's only until Tuesday when my sister returns from overseas.

To give you some insight. He's of African descent. Born in Columbia. Left by a riverbed in a basket, God knows why. Orphanage in Colombia. I'll leave it there.

I don't want to reveal so much, because of my own privacy but also his. But you can imagine the identity issues he could potentially have, should he let life get the better of him.

I really want to help where I can. I care about people.

Truth is though the odds haven't exactly been in my favor for large parts of my life.

At 29, I'm in a good place, but the desperation and emotional turmoil my family have endured has been real. We still live in housing that was granted us due to our circumstance.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but just a big hug to everyone, we all face issues in life.

It's pointless to compare circumstance if the point is just to suggest who has a right to support or complaint. That's so unproductive.

So massive shout out to those on struggle street. I believe in you, and I think you can rise above and beyond.

Take care.

Also thanks to @VILLAMARV for taking the time to write me about my condition and send some positive vibes my way. That sh*t goes a long way.

Peace.

• Like 2

Â