What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

2 hours ago, villakram said:

He does that because his daughter has suffered from all sorts of immune related issues and found that a meat dominated diet helped immensely. He himself has also suffered from similar issues at a lower level and based on seeing the improvements in his daughter also found relief from this diet. At all times I have heard or read his thoughts on this, he is very clear in this sense. It works for him or at least has thus far. Surely the opinion of an ill individual who has found some relief has some value regardless of their political views.

Oh... and you referenced a meta-analysis. It doesn't matter where that is published, but meta-analyses are bunk science.

Hilarious and idiotic statement. But I guess you're smarter than The Lancet editors and the scientists who conducted that research.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hilarious and idiotic statement. But I guess you're smarter than The Lancet editors and the scientists who conducted that research.

(i) I work in a hard science, and meta-analyses are nothing more than aggregating previous work and then re-packaging/re-selling it as something new. Our similar issue is when a new named discovery is found. Then a closer look reveals the new name simply hides the absence of any new insight into the physical process under consideration. 

(ii) The conclusions reached in that research are hamstrung by so many systematic issues (e.g., they link mortality directly to carb consumption ratios). But talking about statistics and what can or cannot be supported by a given dataset or analysis doesn't generate headlines or research grants. 

Hope some of this back and forth, at least mildly amuses @Chindie

On 19/03/2019 at 23:07, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Don't assume you are not entitled. The only thing you stand to lose is the time it takes to make the claim.

On 19/03/2019 at 23:30, Chindie said:

I wouldn't have thought of myself as disabled but seemingly there is an argument I might be, so I guess I should look into it.

Given your circumstances I would absolutely be building a case for disability support.

However, if it's anything like Australia, the system is adversarial and certainly not trying to pay anymore benefits than they have to.

Speak to your GP and treating clinicians about writing a support letter for your application.

In any interviews you go to, whether job capacity or psychological assessment, highlight what makes it difficult for you.

The only hitch I can see you having is that if your condition is unable to be identified categorically by a treating professional then the process will be lengthy.

Never been diagnosed or even tested, but think I may sufffer from Seasonal affective disorder. 

Been feeling really down and lonely recently, plus found myself snapping at work at stuff that  I shouldn’t let bother me. My job isn’t stressful, but I’m getting so annoyed with things there as I don’t get a promotion when I should (been told that’s its due to “office politics” not me).

I’m in Lanzorote atm to try and perk myself up, but last night actually felt lower than usual. I’m here on my own, and “holidaying” alone is  not like travelling alone. 

I just had to go post a bunch of things I've sold over the last few days.

I nearly had a panic attack in the post office. I was so anxious and nervous they were probably wary of me anyway, but when, on my second trip from the car with a pile of boxes, I was queuing up behind 2 old women taking an age to do anything and I ended up hurrying out with this odd pile of boxes, and then came back to be greeted by the cashier dealing with a woman taking a phonecall and went to rush back out again before being called over and then anxiously tapping the counter and answering nervously I imagine they'll be taking a keen interest in those parcels.

**** insane. It took nearly 2 hours to get to the post office. I live a minutes drive away. I'm completely mental.

I feel for you Chindle . I think we all need to be a bit mental to live in this world, and it certainly does test people. I certainly wouldn’t call what you did mental though. You just have a mental health illness. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I nearly had a panic attack in the post office. I was so anxious and nervous they were probably wary of me anyway, but when, on my second trip from the car with a pile of boxes, I was queuing up behind 2 old women taking an age to do anything and I ended up hurrying out with this odd pile of boxes, and then came back to be greeted by the cashier dealing with a woman taking a phonecall and went to rush back out again before being called over and then anxiously tapping the counter and answering nervously I imagine they'll be taking a keen interest in those parcels.

**** insane. It took nearly 2 hours to get to the post office. I live a minutes drive away. I'm completely mental.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned on previous pages but have you tried medication? 

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The problem with mental illness is that you try to resolve your problems but your illness stops you making the best decisions. If I had a broken leg I wouldn't ask to be treated by a doctor who was under stress, worried about the future and anxious. Yet someone with a mental illness will try to self help and/or self medicate.  Get help. Get help with your finances. Get help with your underlying condition. Get help with your stress.  

All the best @Chindie. You are not "mental". You are ill/injured and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Been there.....done that......denied I needed help......reached crisis.....swallowed my pride and got help. My only regret is not getting help sooner.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Really sorry to hear of this mate. What was the trigger for the anxiety today? Was it because you were worried about needing the toilet or was it just the thought of crowds/other people?

• Like 1

It sounds like anxiety to me. Which everyone suffers from. To be obviously so anxious and still achieve what you set out to do is amazing. It's also brave to share your experiences of anxiety. 

It's so easy to be hard on yourself. I became aware of a book a while ago called The Chimp Paradox. I bought it for my wife, who is a worrier. She didn't apply it chapter and verse but it was a good tool for understanding anxiety and worry. She called her chimp Bepe 😀

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've got a close relative with something very similar to what you've been describing over the last few pages. I really can't offer any sort of medication advice, but you and yours have to take it seriously and plan around it and find out what works for you.

By take it seriously, I mean accept it and take the piss out of 'it' not get angry or depressed with you. One coping mechanism might just be to know your options on any route. My relative will reluctantly go shopping to a retail park 6 or 7 miles east and knows there's a beefeater pub and a garden center en route. The knowledge that there are facilities means they aren't needed and that retail park gets a visit. The shops a similar distance but to the west are a straight unbroken motorway journey. They just don't ever get up the 'courage' to go there.

It can be just as debilitating as anything more common. I'm sure you're already working out your work arounds. Do not get used to staying in the house. Go for 3 minute walks. Just do not allow yourself that cop out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

If your legs weren't functionally correctly and it took you 2 hours to complete something that should be much quicker you wouldn't beat yourself up and say "I'm a complete spastic".

Just because you can't see mental health problems it doesn't diminish their impact.

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You deserve better.

Thanks. I know I shouldn't be hard on myself but I am. I always have been. The CBT is meant to help with that. We'll see.

I find it very hard to deal with this. I drove to the post office earlier and was so anxious I nearly drove straight back out of the carpark before shouting at myself in frustration.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, blandy said:

No you're not. You achieved something you wanted to achieve. It took a while longer than you wanted, but you did it. No one beat up on you, mocked you - it all went as planned in terms of the other people's days. The cashiers probably detected your heightened anxiety, but that'll happen for them multiple times a day or week. Lots of people have struggles. but you did well there, I think. I'd give yourself a reward for achieving your objective, not tell yourself you're mental, 'cus you're not..

I understand this, but then I think I'm a 30 year old man who struggled to post 6 parcels because he has a problem toddlers don't have. Going to the post office isn't an achievement, and to think it is is pathetic.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned on previous pages but have you tried medication? 

I've tried various medications and continue to take the latest one that's been prescribed. Nothing helps. Those few close to me would argue I've got worse on them.

Â