What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

• 1 month later...

I've only just come back to revisit this thread for the first time in a long while, and I have to say I applaud those of you who've been open enough to talk about your experiences, I hope anyone who has read the thread and thinks they may be struggling has seen the link for IAPT services I posted a few pages back and have referred themselves/gone to their GP.

There was something else I wanted to add previously, and it's this:

Research shows that at any given point in their lifetime, on average 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health difficulty.

Consider if 40000 people attend a football match (non-club specific), on average, 10000 of them will experience this at some point in their lives.

Another thing to consider: Schizophrenia is more common than Diabetes in the adult population

• Like 4

It's a good point Mike. I think people would be surprised to know that the guy they work with, or the woman next door is on medication for depression, anxiety, etc. But even though it is so widespread, the stigma still exists to the point where some people won't even seek help, especially older people, and I'm guessing more men will not seek help compared to women. Men will not want to confront or admit to a self-perceived weakness.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

at the moment I aint feeling that great, got no motivation for anything and just feel like life is shit. work aint helping as its really been getting me down for a while. the past 2 weekends ive not got dressed at all apart from to go and get drink and pick up cocaine(been back on it regular again for the past 2 month). tired all the time and just want to sleep all the time, even if I don't get up until half 10 im ready to sleep again by 12. stressing over money and work and im finding the drink and coke are taking the pressure off, but the day after taking it I feel terrible and im like a zombie for a couple of days after. completely gone off sex, its been over 3 weeks since I last had it but its months since I last had it without being under the influence of cocaine so that's more pressure in my head because its becoming an issue now. self inflicted I know and its simple just to say stop, but I feel shit when im not taking it, and shit for days after when ive taken it. if im honest I don't think its about the drugs, its other things which are getting me down and pushing me towards substances. the coke just fills a huge void in my life but only for a brief moment. ive suffered from mild depression for a long time and im easily defeated in the sense that I lose interest or become unmotivated. feel stuck and don't know which direction to take. sunday I had anxiety and avoided everyone, every time my phone went off or I thought someone was walking up my drive I panicked. not in a paranoid sense though.

every time my phone went off or I thought someone was walking up my drive I panicked. not in a paranoid sense though.

I have the same thing. It's a hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Temporary social anxiety, or something like that.

I'm also in a similar situation (except the use of substances) and have been in and out of it for most of my adult life. I went 3 years without getting depressed recently, and thought I was rid of it, but it came back again.

Anyway, each person is different, but my remedy for this when it comes around is just to accept it, and even embrace it. When you are down and depressed, often the feeling is that while you know you need to get out, get better, push yourself, etc, you don't want to. You want to just stay in that bubble on unreality and push everyone away. You'd rather have the world stop existing around you. And so, you feel shame, and like shit. But that's part of the problem. Letting go of that and just accepting it can go a long way in changing your perspective. Getting out of it might be slow or it might be quick, but motivation and energy will come when you want it and you're ready for it. That cliche about hitting the bottom, before you really want to change.

Very well said. Very much how I am at the moment. Part me wants to change(quit the drugs etc) but the other side of me still feels connected to that kind of life. My life feels very empty when I'm not intoxicated, mad really when I have a gorgeous little boy and a girl on the way. Feel very bad about how I feel but what can you do. I've got myself a start at another firm on monday if I want it so the change should do me good, and its a fresh challenge. Although I'm very scared of change in my life.

This isnt exactly a mental problem but 16 years ago I had a brain tumor operation and I was on morphine and off work for 3 years, I forgot how to walk and talk also apparently the hospital rang the wife ( at 11pm ) and suggested she come and visit as I was not expected to make it through to the morning.I experienced something strange that night ( but that is for another thread )

I found my experiences on morphine fantastic ( I can still remember them as if they happened last night ) I found learning how to walk again very frustrating ( on a treadmill and in a swimming pool )

3 years later I returned to the job I had before my operation.Now ( apart from wearing an eye patch ) I am near enough to 100%.

The tumor I had was "an acoustic neuroma"

YOU WEAR AN EYE PATCH?!

That's so cool - I hope you have the Villa badge on it! :)

Sorry to hear about your operation.

Do you have depth perception?

Also, Rugeley - get to a Doctor, be as clear to them as you have been to us, accept help - if you want to.

You have to be in the right place before you make any major changes, whether that means coming off drugs etc.  You need to make this decision - although.. you do know drugs are bad, m'kay.

This isnt exactly a mental problem but 16 years ago I had a brain tumor operation and I was on morphine and off work for 3 years, I forgot how to walk and talk also apparently the hospital rang the wife ( at 11pm ) and suggested she come and visit as I was not expected to make it through to the morning.I experienced something strange that night ( but that is for another thread )

I found my experiences on morphine fantastic ( I can still remember them as if they happened last night ) I found learning how to walk again very frustrating ( on a treadmill and in a swimming pool )

3 years later I returned to the job I had before my operation.Now ( apart from wearing an eye patch ) I am near enough to 100%.

The tumor I had was "an acoustic neuroma"

bloody hell mate, well done for getting yourself back on track and getting through the operation.
  • Like 1

YOU WEAR AN EYE PATCH?!

That's so cool - I hope you have the Villa badge on it! :)

Also, Rugeley - get to a Doctor, be as clear to them as you have been to us, accept help - if you want to.

You have to be in the right place before you make any major changes, whether that means coming off drugs etc. You need to make this decision - although.. you do know drugs are bad, m'kay.

I'm a bugger for an easy cure, I never stick to my meetings because after a few weeks I think I'm better but deep down I know I aint. I'll get there eventually.
  • Like 1

P.s, was it a near death experience? Whatever it is I'd love to hear about it. Where you posting about it?.

The Paul Lambert thread is about as close as you'll get to a near death experience right now, so maybe in there? :mrgreen:

• Like 1

YOU WEAR AN EYE PATCH?!

That's so cool - I hope you have the Villa badge on it!  :)

You have to be in the right place before you make any major changes, whether that means coming off drugs etc.  You need to make this decision - although.. you do know drugs are bad, m'kay.

Yes I have depth perception,thats one of the reasons I wear an eye patch.What I see out of my left eye is further away than what I see with my right eye.The other reason is that I have Bells Palsey on the left hand side of my face and because of that I cant blink properly withmy left eye. 

Â