What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

I think a big hurdle to clear is learning how to stop negative thoughts as soon as they creep in, specifically the imagining of negative personal interactions or outcomes in personal and business situations.  I think the more you dwell on negative possibilities, the more you create the negative outcome you imagined. I think there's a clinical term for it, but I can't remember. Basic stuff, but I think people fall prey to their own neurosis and realize their own fears/dread/doubts etc. But if you can train your mind to banish negative daydreaming, you are getting in front of the problem of depression and anxiety.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think a big hurdle to clear is learning how to stop negative thoughts as soon as they creep in, specifically the imagining of negative personal interactions or outcomes in personal and business situations.  I think the more you dwell on negative possibilities, the more you create the negative outcome you imagined. I think there's a clinical term for it, but I can't remember. Basic stuff, but I think people fall prey to their own neurosis and realize their own fears/dread/doubts etc. But if you can train your mind to banish negative daydreaming, you are getting in front of the problem of depression and anxiety.

Absolutely!

This is what Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is all about.

Where the mind goes, energy flows.

I am currently undertaking the 'Dealing With People With Mental Health Issues' unit of my course at uni.

So seeing as I'm in the thread I might share some of the most recent content covered.

The President of The American Psychological Association at the time was sought out by CNN to give some insight into his profession.

To share his insights he was afforded a one word answer to the question, "what is the state of psychology in today?"

He replies, "good"

Unsatisfied the reporter says okay can you sum it up in two words.

His reply, "not good"

The reporter asks a final time for him to give a three word account.

His reply, "not good enough"

(I can't vouch for the truth of this CNN part of the talk, whatever the case it was a prelude to the explanation of the development of psychology)

I think there was a timeline that his one, two and three word responses represented but I have forgotten, nevertheless, he goes on to explain..

'Good' was the emergence of a means to make miserable people less miserable through science and understanding the causality for certain illnesses and finding effective treatment.

'Not good' was the consequences of that. Part of that was moralistic. Clinicians became pathologisers and forgot about the concept of responsibility. The science had forgotten about those without any ailments and never focused its scope on the betterment of their lives. Likewise, high genius was overlooked in the profession. There was no thoughts of creating positive interventions to increase the quality of life or happiness of individuals, its concern was on the disease model.

'Not good enough' was the sentiment that the science could in the next 10 years become concerned with the fulfillment of life, with enhancing its strengths as well as its weakness (his wording, not mine) etc. That high genius could also be nurtured.

(FWIW I personally find a lot of the system and science to be incredibly adversarial and disjointed from understanding behaviour which is painfully ironic.)

He then goes on to introduce 'positive psychology'.

And I've just realised instead of typing the talk out for you, I can just link you to the talk. Here it is:

Had to get paramedics out tonight again. Bad chest pain, which has been constant all day and on and off for weeks. Bad neck pain and hyperventilating. It’s been building up for a while but I went over the edge tonight with my thoughts and convinced myself I was having heart attack. Everything fine, and just another bad panic attack. Suffering with anxiety pretty bad at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Had to get paramedics out tonight again. Bad chest pain, which has been constant all day and on and off for weeks. Bad neck pain and hyperventilating. It’s been building up for a while but I went over the edge tonight with my thoughts and convinced myself I was having heart attack. Everything fine, and just another bad panic attack. Suffering with anxiety pretty bad at the moment. 

Feel better mate - sorry for your troubles.

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

A lot of it will be aftershocks from cleaning yourself up, plus the problems with your wife and other family issues. 

Speak to someone, it seems like you have a lot of built up stuff you need to get out.  Lots of willing listeners out there if you're willing to meet them halfway. 

Stay strong bud. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

A lot of it will be aftershocks from cleaning yourself up, plus the problems with your wife and other family issues. 

Speak to someone, it seems like you have a lot of built up stuff you need to get out.  Lots of willing listeners out there if you're willing to meet them halfway. 

Stay strong bud. 

Yes, the lovely paramedic woman said the same thing. Add to that everything else what’s going on, plus I’m a bit of a stress head anyway. Feel way better today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes, the lovely paramedic woman said the same thing. Add to that everything else what’s going on, plus I’m a bit of a stress head anyway. Feel way better today. 

Use GP as a signposter to getting Psychology sessions. Sounds like you need to just offload to someone who will listen and  guide you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2018 at 08:29, Rugeley Villa said:

None of my business so feel free to let a tumbleweed blow over this post.

Wondering if you persisted with the medication you were going to start up a few months back?

I really hope you get some sustained relief from your anxiety, it can be crippling and debilitating.

I recommend talking to someone. Continue with it as long as it serves you, if it does.

Those who receive counsel are as wise as those who give it.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

None of my business so feel free to let a tumbleweed blow over this post.

Wondering if you persisted with the medication you were going to start up a few months back?

I really hope you get some sustained relief from your anxiety, it can be crippling and debilitating.

I recommend talking to someone. Continue with it as long as it serves you, if it does.

Those who receive counsel are as wise as those who give it.

I’ve  **** them off again. If I’m being honest just staying clean solves everything at the moment . I’ve aleays tried my hardest to stay off medication, but I have gave it a go 2, or 3 times. There is a pattern with me, which goes like this....

1 Use heavily 

2 Decide to try and get clean for whatever reason 

3 Get clean 

4 Suffer with bad anxiety and panic attacks, with mild depression 

5 Make myself that bad with Anxiety that I need medical assistance. The medical care I receive tells me everything is ok, and it’s just anxiety 

6 Anxiety and panic attacks near enough go completely, because I’ve had reassurance that it’s just anxiety

7 Stary enjoying life, feel strong, fit, and happy 

Then going by my past record I repeat the cycle. When I suffer bad with anxiety, it takes over my life. The moment I wake up, to the moment I go to sleep I’m anxious about my health, or whatever else is on my mind. I’m doing great at the moment though, and don’t feel like I need to carry on with medication. I’m back with my wife, which is something I thought I’d truly **** up. No more chances from here though. She’s my councillor, and we talk about things  once week. Things like how I’m feeling about my addiction, to how happy  each other are in the relationship, to what we need to improve etc. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve  **** them off again. If I’m being honest just staying clean solves everything at the moment . I’ve aleays tried my hardest to stay off medication, but I have gave it a go 2, or 3 times. There is a pattern with me, which goes like this....

1 Use heavily 

2 Decide to try and get clean for whatever reason 

3 Get clean 

4 Suffer with bad anxiety and panic attacks, with mild depression 

5 Make myself that bad with Anxiety that I need medical assistance. The medical care I receive tells me everything is ok, and it’s just anxiety 

6 Anxiety and panic attacks near enough go completely, because I’ve had reassurance that it’s just anxiety

7 Stary enjoying life, feel strong, fit, and happy 

Then going by my past record I repeat the cycle. When I suffer bad with anxiety, it takes over my life. The moment I wake up, to the moment I go to sleep I’m anxious about my health, or whatever else is on my mind. I’m doing great at the moment though, and don’t feel like I need to carry on with medication. I’m back with my wife, which is something I thought I’d truly **** up. No more chances from here though. She’s my councillor, and we talk about things  once week. Things like how I’m feeling about my addiction, to how happy  each other are in the relationship, to what we need to improve etc. 

Got to commend your honesty.

I admire the desire to remain medication free. My view is that it just masks a symptom rather than addressing the cause.

Even the senior psychiatrist at the clinic I work at said to me just a few weeks back that although medication is not a very good solution, it's the best we have.

Of course a psychiatrist would be inclined to suggest medication as the best remedy we have going around, at least he can admit it's not ideal is the point.

I was just asking because it does work for some people but as far as I know can take months to take effect on the chemistry of your brain.

Communication is everything so that's great to hear you have dialogue.

Sorry if I come across as nosy, I just have a real issue with how f***** up society can make the world and the suffering that ensues.

There's nothing civilised or advanced about a social structure where its occupants are reluctant to reach out for help due to the perception of others.

Enough of my s*** though. It's your journey. I only offer advice where I have seen it work to good effect for others.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Got to commend your honesty.

I admire the desire to remain medication free. My view is that it just masks a symptom rather than addressing the cause.

Even the senior psychiatrist at the clinic I work at said to me just a few weeks back that although medication is not a very good solution, it's the best we have.

Of course a psychiatrist would be inclined to suggest medication as the best remedy we have going around, at least he can admit it's not ideal is the point.

I was just asking because it does work for some people but as far as I know can take months to take effect on the chemistry of your brain.

Communication is everything so that's great to hear you have dialogue.

Sorry if I come across as nosy, I just have a real issue with how f***** up society can make the world and the suffering that ensues.

There's nothing civilised or advanced about a social structure where its occupants are reluctant to reach out for help due to the perception of others.

Enough of my s*** though. It's your journey. I only offer advice where I have seen it work to good effect for others.

I get why people take them, and they do help people. I know people that are **** without them. They are also keeping folk from topping themselves. I just don’t really want them to help me, because I just think in the long run they create other problems. I don’t want to rely on pills to make me happy and feel ok. In the same breath, I don’t want to rely on drugs and alcohol to get through life, and take the edge away. If you can find the middle ground in life, you’ve made it. Don’t feel like you’re being nosy, and feel free to ask whatever, abd give advice. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We've got a good sized Client that is currently pushing strongly on stress and mental health awareness in their direct workforce and subbies.

They asked / told us that we should be part of their push to try and improve mental health. They wanted an initiative to stop evening and weekend e-mailing.

We were quite straight up in saying that we supported that initiative. But if they really wanted to help with stress and mental health, they could see about actually paying us on time. We're a small business and the money that comes in, goes out, in wages and pays people's mortgages and grocery bills. Them owing us for 6 months work was more real stress than any weekend e-mails.

Two weeks later, they've paid. Literally, people will be getting their pre Christmas bonus.

I'm sure less weekend e-mails will also help. But all credit to them for listening. 

I’ve noticed in the building trade, it’s starting to be more made a deal of. In a lot of toilets and canteens there are posters about mental health, and hotline numbers. Don’t get me wrong, you still have your Debbie from Essex with 40 DD breasts on there, but mental health is appearing more on the walls. Same with the radio I’ve noticed. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve noticed in the building trade, it’s starting to be more made a deal of. In a lot of toilets and canteens there are posters about mental health, and hotline numbers. Don’t get me wrong, you still have your Debbie from Essex with 40 DD breasts on there, but mental health is appearing more on the walls. Same with the radio I’ve noticed. 

We've been told we need our photo taken next to the poster - so even if we choose to ignore it, they can say they tried!

Doing it as part of the toolbox talk. In fairness it creates a talking point, trying to line up trades for a group selfie.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We've been told we need our photo taken next to the poster - so even if we choose to ignore it, they can say they tried!

Doing it as part of the toolbox talk. In fairness it creates a talking point, trying to line up trades for a group selfie.

If think you’ll have a better chance of getting them together if you have the photo taken next to the Debbie from Essex newspaper pull out ?

33 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm in a bit of a hole again.  Was a right state earlier this year then really picked up and was back to my self again over the summer until about 3 weeks ago.  It's a **** struggle at the moment.

Sorry to hear that mate. Always know that your VT family loves ya! 

• Like 3

Â