What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

«Finding the strength» is a particularly poor choice of words, though. Even if I don’t think Dem meant any harm at all, I can see why someone who’s struggling a bit might react. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Totally agree Dem. 

Sometimes people see something that isn't there. I took your posts to show firstly some level of familiarity with people who've had some illness, some experience of drugs not being effective in every case and some further experience that for some people, for whom the drugs weren't effective, they were helped by, for that unique subset of the total, by being fortunate enough to have a particular outlook/strength and fortune with good things going on in their lives which aided them. And that you specifically said everyone is different.

Then you got  a reaction not to what was actually written, but to an unrepresentative subset taken out of context.

(sorry that was more than 140 characters).

Thanks mr bland, summed up beautifully as always

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Michelsen said:

«Finding the strength» is a particularly poor choice of words, though. Even if I don’t think Dem meant any harm at all, I can see why someone who’s struggling a bit might react. 

Again this was their words NOT mine, anyway I have offered a olive branch to chindie it’s down to him whether he wants to accept it or not as I think I have explained the post three times now. 

I wanted to get a better understanding of this subject but gonna leave this thread as it’s just not for me. It seems you are not allowed to have a opinion or share a negative one on anti depressants only if you have experienced them. 

Wish you all well moving forward on this subject :thumb:

I’m fairly positive Dem was on about psychology and talking therapies like CBT, BFT etc... which a lot of it is about challenging your behaviour patterns, counter thinking and positive influence focusing. 

It wasn’t worded well at all but I don’t think Dem was referring to the old school out dated ‘just snap out of it’ thinking. 

No need to be word removed-y about it. Dem is a good guy at heart. If you disagree then engage and educate instead of throwing your toys out the pram. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I’m fairly positive Dem was on about psychology and talking therapies like CBT, BFT etc... which a lot of it is about challenging your behaviour patterns, counter thinking and positive influence focusing. 

It wasn’t worded well at all but I don’t think Dem was referring to the old school out dated ‘just snap out of it’ thinking. 

No need to be word removed-y about it. Dem is a good guy at heart. If you disagree then engage and educate instead of throwing your toys out the pram. 

Chindie may have been a little condescending in his reaction, but it’s not like he didn’t give (or could deny) the opportunity for an explanation. As unfair a reaction as it might seem, if you want to engage in the topic then a little empathy goes a long way. Maybe Chindie could have handled it differently, but then maybe responding with “chill, don’t be a word removed” is hypocritical. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I wanted to get a better understanding of this subject but gonna leave this thread as it’s just not for me. It seems you are not allowed to have a opinion or share a negative one on anti depressants only if you have experienced them.

Please don’t, and not at all. You’re always allowed to explain what you mean and if someone doesn’t read what you wrote how it was intended then elaborate. If you want to learn more then having your view challenged is part of that. Engage back!

• Like 2

Interesting debate here. In all honesty, "Finding the strength to be happy" sounds a bit trite, even though I know that Dmitri didn't intend it to sound trite.

I think that's all Chindie was trying to express, that it sounded a bit slogan-y and thus open to ridicule.

We good here, right fam?

:o

Another thing to learn or understand is that when discussing mental health with people who might be suffering with problems - which could be anyone you talk to about it - is that they may not react in a way that seems normal, proportionate or in the spirit of positive discourse. Symptomatic of depression.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've no ill will with Dem, there's no need for an olive branch.

I don't think my reaction is unreasonable at all though. Saying people got better just by 'having the strength to be happy' is not good. Even if that's what people he knew think, there's a lot of baggage with mental health issues and this belief it's just something you need to be strong and get over, that being affected by it is weakness. 'Having the strength to be happy' is in that category. Much more nuance in the phrasing is needed - CBT and other therapies aren't about getting someone to 'have the strength to be happy'.

Not only is that viewpoint wrong, being able to function and cope at all with many mental health issues takes a great deal of mental strength and courage (speaking from experience there - I've spent years spending every second fighting my head just to carry on appearing 'normal', which takes enormous effort), it's insulting, and reinforces old stereotypes of mental problems being personal weakness. That in turn increases the taboo of mental health, meaning people may find it harder to accept that may have something they need to discuss with a professional, or that they need to get some support with.

I don't think Dem has intended this, but the words are there and they are going insult people through blunder. You need to be careful how you approach some subjects, understand what your words will mean to people. I can't deny I saw them and it instantly pissed me off. I'm clearly not alone in that thinking.

Thanks glad to hear no ill feelings. I think though to prevent something like happening again its best I dont post in here as last thing I want to do is make you or anyone else feel that way.

I wish you well Chindie as I can only go on your character on here and you seem a very intelligent guy that has a alot going for him.  :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't think Dem has intended this, but the words are there and they are going insult people through blunder. You need to be careful how you approach some subjects, understand what your words will mean to people. I can't deny I saw them and it instantly pissed me off. I'm clearly not alone in that thinking.

Isn't it also the case that maybe, just maybe, the people (plural) who were "instantly pissed off" instead of reacting in a pissed off way, having assumed/interpreted Dem's words as "bad" could have asked for clarification? kind of like "Dem, that reads to me like you're saying people can just wish themselves better - is that what you mean?

Because there's 3 things I/we know about Dem that apply here:

1. He works in the Health Service and so might possibly have a point to make from his first hand experience.

2. His written English has its own reputation - "Demglish"  - for not always quite being as clear as he might want

3. He's a lovely bloke and not the sort to thoughtlessly comment about mental health in a derogatory manner.

So though it's understandable to read something that makes people mad, and then maybe react instantly, that  maybe also being careful about how to "approach the subject" ought to work both ways, ideally - to seek explanation before reacting?

And to add to that, like I said before and Dem also said - this is a function of forums and the internet generally. It's not a comment about anyone who reacted one way or the other, and I'm certain I've been as "guilty" of it as the next person. Probably because I have been, that's what's made me think "hang on, maybe I need to make sure I've got the right end of the stick here, before I respond, next time."

Reverting back to the original story:

My take on SSRIs. Physiologically, they work. They prevent your brain from losing all that Seratonin goodness.

Whether they help someone’s underlying issues is another matter. It’s totally individual. For me, it helped me cope with situations better and not feel overwhelmed when I felt shit. They can help moderate your emotions and make it easier to manage your thoughts. I can understand though, that some of the effects can lead to unhappiness about other things, leading to a neutral or negative effect. Blunting of the feeling of elation/joy, a change in aspects of your personality you liked. When I came off (very recently) the highs and lows came back, but I was much better equipped to handle it.

I never wanted CBT or therapy and I didn’t need it in the end. Some people will do better with one, the other, or both.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No.

I'm tired of dancing around things. Black and white is black and white. It was there, it **** me off no end, I'm no mood to filter that.

You won’t change stigma and views if people don’t feel able to discuss things with you. 

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Reverting back to the original story:

My take on SSRIs. Physiologically, they work. They prevent your brain from losing all that Seratonin goodness.

Whether they help someone’s underlying issues is another matter. It’s totally individual. For me, it helped me cope with situations better and not feel overwhelmed when I felt shit. They can help moderate your emotions and make it easier to manage your thoughts. I can understand though, that some of the effects can lead to unhappiness about other things, leading to a neutral or negative effect. Blunting of the feeling of elation/joy, a change in aspects of your personality you liked. When I came off (very recently) the highs and lows came back, but I was much better equipped to handle it.

I never wanted CBT or therapy and I didn’t need it in the end. Some people will do better with one, the other, or both.

This is the crux of mental health and why a service far too entwined and corruptly buddied up with the pharmaceutical industry is destined to fail. Loads of different treatments for loads of different people is what it should boil down to and with help, finding the right one for each individual.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

From my own perspective, I've been on anti-anxiety and now an antidepressant. I've not really noticed much difference in either. I was on the strongest anti-anxiety medication they would offer me at a GP, which did nothing (possibly made things worse bizarrely IMO). The antidepressant has made me tired, irritable and put on a load of weight (which was kinda needed as I lost a **** ton beforehand). So I'd probably say they aren't helping.

I'm awaiting a referral for CBT.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

From my own perspective, I've been on anti-anxiety and now an antidepressant. I've not really noticed much difference in either. I was on the strongest anti-anxiety medication they would offer me at a GP, which did nothing (possibly made things worse bizarrely IMO). The antidepressant has made me tired, irritable and put on a load of weight (which was kinda needed as I lost a **** ton beforehand). So I'd probably say they aren't helping.

I'm awaiting a referral for CBT.

Hope it all goes through for you, it was a godsend for me, talking therapies were my big break through in my early 20’s mixed with a small therapeutic dose of the happy little blue pill. I’m so glad mental health services are (slowly) transitioning to them.

17 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

On the whole mental health front..

It is interesting that how financial problems and worrys are subconsciously the beginning and root causes of alot of peoples depression.

I think it is a factor but there are plenty of people in my office who are financially comfortable but up to the eyeballs on medication. 

I guess it's stress and there are a variety of reasons for it. 

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Hope it all goes through for you, it was a godsend for me, talking therapies were my big break through in my early 20’s mixed with a small therapeutic dose of the happy little blue pill. I’m so glad mental health services are (slowly) transitioning to them.

On NHS or did you have to go private?

i feel like a prisoner to medication. 

Â