What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Do you think doctors prescribe anti depressants too quickly now? Or not? 

Yes. I was given seroxat for years which although helped made me very tired all the time. All I did was sleep.  I was off and on it for a long time

Then one day I saw a different doctor who was surprised that I had been taking that original ssri for so long and prescribed me a different one which helped without the tiredness (although I have put a lot of weight on). Basically it just feels like they are all having a stab in the dark. But then I guess what else can they do?

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can I ask for those of the older generation was desperation as common as it is now back then?

My grandmother (born in 1912) had electroshock therapy back in the 40's. She wasn't "crazy", but had a hard time getting out of bed and raising her daughters. I think she was depressive. I have a feeling that these conditions can be really varied while falling on the same spectrum. I think that they can be genetic and also environmental, and often a combination. But yeah, I think it's always been around.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Do you think doctors prescribe anti depressants too quickly now? Or not? 

I do think they do. For example a friend of mine has  a bad back and it gets him down. So what do they painkillers and anti depressents. 

The Anatomy of Melancholy (full title: The Anatomy of Melancholy, What it is: With all the Kinds, Causes, Symptomes, Prognostickes, and Several Cures of it. In Three Maine Partitions with their several Sections, Members, and Subsections. Philosophically, Medicinally, Historically, Opened and Cut Up) is a book by Robert Burton, first published in 1621, but republished four more times over the next seventeen years with massive alterations and expansions.

On its surface, the book is presented as a medical textbook in which Burton applies his vast and varied learning, in the scholastic manner, to the subject of melancholia (which includes, although it is not limited to, what is now termed clinical depression). Though presented as a medical text, The Anatomy of Melancholy is as much a sui generis work of literature as it is a scientific or philosophical text, and Burton addresses far more than his stated subject. In fact, the Anatomy uses melancholy as the lens through which all human emotion and thought may be scrutinized, and virtually the entire contents of a 17th-century library are marshalled into service of this goal. It is encyclopedic in its range and reference.

Wiki

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Isn't it funny how times change.

Since I posted that at the end of January I've pretty much had a full on breakdown myself, to the point that I was pretty much forced to leave works premises because they were worried about me.

I very nearly had full on meltdown at work purely because of the amount of work that they was piling on me.

When I posted the quoted message I had no idea how close I was to the edge myself, it all boiled over at work and now I find myself on the receiving end of the "mental health" shit, I was plumbing the depths without knowing it, I managed to catch it before it got too bad and things are already feeling better for me.

I'll talk more about my own situation later when I feel up for it, but the one person who has helped me out and been a proper friend is the very one I was concerned About in the quote above 

Absolutely mate and you will know when that time is right for you to talk.

Good on him for the equal helping extended hand, out of interest how is he fairing himself nowadays?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Isn't it funny how times change.

Since I posted that at the end of January I've pretty much had a full on breakdown myself, to the point that I was pretty much forced to leave works premises because they were worried about me.

I very nearly had full on meltdown at work purely because of the amount of work that they was piling on me.

When I posted the quoted message I had no idea how close I was to the edge myself, it all boiled over at work and now I find myself on the receiving end of the "mental health" shit, I was plumbing the depths without knowing it, I managed to catch it before it got too bad and things are already feeling better for me.

I'll talk more about my own situation later when I feel up for it, but the one person who has helped me out and been a proper friend is the very one I was concerned About in the quote above 

Hope you are alright mate. The people that can help are the people that have experienced it. It's hard for someone to understand the feeling of severe depression if they have never felt it.  

From my experience all I can say is even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. It does get better. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2018 at 20:47, Ingram85 said:

Medication does work for a lot of people, I work with people who when on them are the nicest and the personality change when off them is too much to be a placebo affect. 

I had a friend who was very much like this.

The change is like two different people altogether..  on them - he was nice as pie, interactive, socialable, helpful etc.

Off them - a complete opposite, time waster, twisted, vindictive, generally turned into a total cock type of manerism.

He'd been on them for years but the difference was so bizarre.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hope you are alright mate. The people that can help are the people that have experienced it. It's hard for someone to understand the feeling of severe depression if they have never felt it.  

From my experience all I can say is even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. It does get better. 

It's bloody horrible and it can feel such a dark, lonely, empty place at times.

Prob irrelevance to this thread but we had a 74 yr old woman out tonight in our town who had gone missing. (Alzhemers apparantly)

Alot of the town helped out in searching for her and after a 5 hour search and police helicopters etc she has thankfully been found.

Me and the wee one decided in helping in the search eventually for around an hour so hopefully we have done our good deed for the day. 

Cannot be nice to go through such an ordeal for the releatives connected etc. or for the person with the terrible illness.  :(

45 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Prob irrelevance to this thread but we had a 74 yr old woman out tonight in our town who had gone missing. (Alzhemers apparantly)

Alot of the town helped out in searching for her and after a 5 hour search and police helicopters etc she has thankfully been found.

Me and the wee one decided in helping in the search eventually for around an hour so hopefully we have done our good deed for the day. 

Cannot be nice to go through such an ordeal for the releatives connected etc. or for the person with the terrible illness.  :(

We had one turn up at our house a few weeks back. She was stubbing around in the front garden, then walked past our window. It was dark outside, and it shit me up when I saw her at the window. 

3 minutes ago, coda said:

Antidepressants really do work, study suggests

They work but not for everyone.

I cant say for most but only the people I know who took them they didnt work, what helped them was them having the strength to be happy and realise the good things going on their lives. If there wasn't they made steps to correct those to do so.

But everyone is different.  

14 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That was my reaction too...

Ran it through a filter first.

I think I'm going to sack everything off this afternoon, spend it finding the strength to be happy, and all my problems will fade away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Having the strength to be happy?

Christ.

I can understand your reaction Chindie but I don't think it's particularly helpful. We've come a long way in understanding mental health issues in the last few years but not everyone is caught up yet. It's incumbent on all of us (particularly those who have an insight into how painful it is) to help others understand the complexities of the subject and I'm not convinced responding with a roley eye gif (or similar) does that.

• Like 2

Â