What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

P.s, was it a near death experience? Whatever it is I'd love to hear about it. Where you posting about it?.

Yes it was, but I have to say that I did not see any bright light at the end of a tunnel or hear god speak to me. What I did feel was the MOST INCREDABLE CALMNESS ( nothing mattered,nothing at all ) I now believe that, that is what happens when you are on the thresho;d and because of that death does not frighten me at all cause when the time comes, it wont matter at all and I wont care or be afraid.   

• Like 1

I've had mental health issues in the past. I'm practically over it now, but I have the occasional lapse. Basically I had some disagreements and clashes with people around 2005/2006 and for some reason I couldn't seem to get over it. 

Everyone else seems to be able to get over stuff from the past apart from me. I get annoyed with myself for allowing these ********* to get to me. They're insignificant and I shouldn't be even be caring what they think.

Edited by Voinjama

After comming out of intensive care and bieng moved to a different ward, I was in the "head injuries " ward and the place was full of guys that had car and motorcycle injuries.Without commenting on any of them I would just like to say.Always wear your seat belt and dont be silly on the road.

The head injuries ward is the last place you want to be.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

my missus got diagnosed with pyschosis the other day, shes on these tablets to treat it but your only allowed to take them for four weeks then you have to have a break off them as they are highly addictive. just by looking at her when shes on these tablets you can see they are very strong. good news is the doctor said shes got a form which can be got rid of easily enough by taking these tablets, she suffers from depression anyway which shes on tablets for and she had post natal depression with our first child. the doctor said because shes blocking out this depression with tablets its trying to form into someting else because its being blocked so its turned into pyschosis. 

• 8 months later...

my mum aint been too well lately and shes been in a pretty low state, anyway turns out shes having a mild nervous breakdown whatever that is. shes been on prozac for years but shes on these other tablets now along with the prozac. shes off work on the sick at the moment and has turned into a bigger recluse than she was. quite worried for her if im honest, i know a few things have really been getting to her lately. my mums never been the most stable person especially when shes drinking and i told her today the drink definately wont be helping especially on top of the tablets she takes.

I suffer from bi-polar disorder but I try my best to live a full "normal" life.  I get stigmatised every day but try to ignore it.  I'm not going to kill you or get my willy out in the middle of Asda, I just feel crap in the mornings then high as a kite later in the same day.  I get irked by small things, I worry too much about what others think of me, that sort of thing.

I take Citalopram 40mg daily and that seems to keep me on an even keel most days but when I forget to take it I can be a moody sod.

• 9 months later...
30 minutes ago, V01 said:

Was on them a few years ago, left me a bit spaced out when I first starting taking them.

what they like to wake up on? and did they do the job. i try not to take anything to deal with stress,anxiety,mild depression etc but lately ive found it harder so i'll give them a try.

I noticed a pretty immediate improvement, was started off on 20mg and that got boosted up to 60mg over 4 months then I was off them in another 6 months. I'm awful at getting up but I can't remember them making me any worse, did have a few funky dreams though.

• Like 1

anyone familiar with citalopram? been put on them as ive been struggling a bit lately with day to day life and getting worked up over stupid things.

One of the most effective anti depressants. Usually takes a couple of weeks to get up to a therapeutic dose

what they like to wake up on? and did they do the job. i try not to take anything to deal with stress,anxiety,mild depression etc but lately ive found it harder so i'll give them a try.

May be worth asking your GP for a referral to your local IAPT service too

• 4 weeks later...

Just got prescribed Sertraline for depression and anxiety, both of which have been creeping up on me over the last several years.

Not thrilled about it, but hopeful that it kind of gets me back to how I used to be, which was more confident and outgoing.

The last few years I've tended to be very negative about things and reluctant to be social. I have a handful of old friends who I think are all scratching their heads because I've kind of hid myself away from them.

I have to say, VillaTalk has been really a lifesaver for me, because it's allowed me a social outlet that I haven't pursued that much elsewhere. The politics, film and music threads (among many others) on here are excellent. 

So, I'm a little bit **** up in the head (as I'm sure maybe a few of you had already guessed), but I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't know why this illness happened to me, it sort of came from out of thin air. But it's here. I sometimes think my past drug use may have something to do with it (excessive cannabis smoking while still just 17 years old without a fully developed brain, and then about 40 ecstasy trips in my late 20's).

Drinking can't help either, I'm sure. 

If anyone has experience with Sertraline, I'd love to hear what you've got to say about it, stories, advice, anything. 

44 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If anyone has experience with Sertraline, I'd love to hear what you've got to say about it, stories, advice, anything. 

It's an impressive tool that works well for many people. But everyone's mental hygiene is so individualized, you really just need to find out for yourself. The one thing I can say for sure is that probiotics may help with the tendency for temporary digestive issues to emerge as your gut adjusts during the first 2-4 weeks. And you have to give it time to kick in. I felt a reduction in the ranges of my emotions and a slight, general elevation of mood. It was subtle. I did like how, for me, it seemed to sharpen my language skills (which are already high), and allow for more concentrated thinking, but those could have been the effects of a lessening of depression and anxiety.

In the end, I didn't like what it did to my personality. There was a subtle, strange detachment that simply wasn't something that worked for me.

Medication works wonders for some people, but for me, cognitive therapy and exercise were more helpful. I think it all depends on the person. Good luck and best wishes!

• Like 1

I have a fair bit of experience from the outside looking in. I'm a Police officer, and my marriage was ruined by several years of my wife being depressed.

My wife is getting better now, thankfully, taking her medication and has improved leaps and bounds to the point where she can live a normal life, but a couple of years of it has ruined our relationship and i've moved out. I can't even begin to imagine what she was going through. Depression is a brutal, bastard of an illness that you really need to catch early, but without a lot of experience with it that's hard to do.

I basically became her carer for 2 years and we lived basically as housemates as opposed to a happy couple. I went into survival mode a lot of the time, and it was really only when she started to improve that the pressure was released and I realised that the love had been gone for quite some time.

If you're not feeling right, go and speak to your GP as early as you can. The earlier you can get into treatment, the better. The medication worked absolute wonders once it had had time to bed in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Just got prescribed Sertraline for depression and anxiety, both of which have been creeping up on me over the last several years.

Not thrilled about it, but hopeful that it kind of gets me back to how I used to be, which was more confident and outgoing.

The last few years I've tended to be very negative about things and reluctant to be social. I have a handful of old friends who I think are all scratching their heads because I've kind of hid myself away from them.

I have to say, VillaTalk has been really a lifesaver for me, because it's allowed me a social outlet that I haven't pursued that much elsewhere. The politics, film and music threads (among many others) on here are excellent. 

So, I'm a little bit **** up in the head (as I'm sure maybe a few of you had already guessed), but I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't know why this illness happened to me, it sort of came from out of thin air. But it's here. I sometimes think my past drug use may have something to do with it (excessive cannabis smoking while still just 17 years old without a fully developed brain, and then about 40 ecstasy trips in my late 20's).

Drinking can't help either, I'm sure. 

maqroll that post is so similiar to what ive been feeling for the last 2 or 3 years. its like a written it. anyway good luck with it all old chap and take care.

• Like 2

On 2 February 2016 at 18:10, Rugeley Villa said:

anyone familiar with citalopram? been put on them as ive been struggling a bit lately with day to day life and getting worked up over stupid things.

I was given citalopram a few weeks ago, I've never taken things to seriously and I've never had issues with mental health before but I had a scary incident last year when I thought I was having a heart attack, I wasn't it was caused by overworking and living on caffeine and fags, since then I've ended up in a&e 3 times to have ECGs because I'm constantly worrying that I'm having a heart attack. The anxiety has pretty much stopped me living my life. Hoping once these pills kick in I'll be back to normal

• Like 1

Â