DOL potentially returning...to Scunthorpe!

Demitri_C

Good coach. Shit man. Although PDC has shown you can get away with that in the lower divisions. I actually wish him well.

wouldnt even say he was a good coach but he could spot a good bargain. always felt a Director of Football role be good for him

Good coach. Shit man. Although PDC has shown you can get away with that in the lower divisions. I actually wish him well.

wouldnt even say he was a good coach but he could spot a good bargain. always felt a Director of Football role be good for him

His record at Villa before they figured out he was a shithead suggests he was a good coach. And yes he could spot a player too.  As I say, he might get more leeway behaviourally in the lower leagues.

Was he such a shit man (genuine question)? I never really minded him. Thought he wasn't a bad manager, good in the transfer market and just lost his way a bit towards the end. I know he called us all "fickle" but that's probably the truest thing any manager has ever said about our fans....

Unless I missed something or things he said/did

He was given 2 dressing rooms and he lost them both (Leeds & Villa). He used to criticise his own players in post match interviews and nothing was ever ever his fault. A disingenuous wimp of a man with no character, no charisma and precious little in the way of personality.

• Like 2

Yeah his eye for a player isn't in question and I've also mentioned DoF as a possibility in the past. I suspect he's probably just hard to get on with whether you're a player or not :)

He was given 2 dressing rooms and he lost them both (Leeds & Villa). He used to criticise his own players in post match interviews and nothing was ever ever his fault. A disingenuous wimp of a man with no character, no charisma and precious little in the way of personality.

Read an interview with Danny Mills talking about him earlier today with his time at Leeds, pretty much exactly that

From the outside O’Leary appeared clever and charming. How many times did you hear him talk about us as inexperienced boys who had so much to learn? It was pretty much the default statement come rain or shine. For a while it was true. But it started to grate when we were around the top of the Premier League and in the semi-finals of the Champions League, or when players headed off for international duty. Some of my England team-mates used to ask ‘what’s all that about?’

Training under him was always high-tempo, the same way we played. But we did very little tactical work, no work on basics and not a lot on set-pieces. When it came to set-pieces, we left them to Ian Harte. Simple. And as for the team talks, we used to chuckle about those. The instructions were written down on a board and the bottom line as O’Leary called it was basically the top line, if you get what I mean.

There were good times, of course, and O’Leary was very much part of them. But the feeling among the squad was that when things went wrong it was our fault. When everything went right, it was down to O’Leary. A blame culture developed – a him-and-us scenario.

Edited by Rino8

i will never forgive that oaf for that doncaster performance worst i have ever seen

Have you not seen us much over the last three/four years then because you've missed some stinkers? ;)
Stinkers were better than Doncaster. That deserved a brand new word of its own.

Have you not seen us much over the last three/four years then because you've missed some stinkers?

even the bradford games were not as bad as that game in my opinion

name a game worse than that doncaster against lower opposition?

Â