Local Shops For Local People

chrisp65

I'd like too but simple fact is I don't have time to shop locally. I work in the city centre and i'm out my house from 6am - 6pm. I pick up stuff from the city centre supermarkets as and when i need it, All my media is now streamed. Yep, i'm contributing to the death of the high street  :(

Get my meat from local butchers, cheaper and better quality than supermarkets. £5 for a kilo extra lean mince bargain. Everything else cheap. Their home made scotch eggs and sausage rolls are to die for. Also go local grocer for veg and that. Saves me about £15 a week going local than supermarket

i try not to go into shops if i can help it.

So virtually everything ordered online - clothes, electronics, music, house stuff.

Groceries are 50% online from Tesco and 50% in Tesco physically, but eventually i'll turn that into 100% online as well.

now if i can just get a job that lets me work from home everyday, i may never need to leave the house.   :P

• Like 1

I'd like too but simple fact is I don't have time to shop locally. I work in the city centre and i'm out my house from 6am - 6pm. I pick up stuff from the city centre supermarkets as and when i need it, All my media is now streamed. Yep, i'm contributing to the death of the high street :(
Wow with those hours you can only be a teacher :winkold: Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

We have an awesome local butcher, wine shop and a deli in Hackney. The corner store also has loads of local craft beers as well.

Borough Markets is on my bike ride home from work as well so I am spoilt for amazing local shops that crap all over tescos.

Meat from a butchers, or Makro

That's about it I'm afraid.

I do use Aldi and Tescos though.  

I actually prefer Aldis own brands of their food though, not sure why.

I like the thought, but it's inconvenient. I'm lucky, I've got 2 Aldis, 1 24/7 Tesco, 1 24/7 Asda and a Sainsbury's within about 2 miles from my house.. 

Blackheath?

I've just moved jobs to Alcester, where they've banned large chains from the high street. Everything is a locally run independent.

Unfortunately, it's utterly useless. It's quirky and nice but you can't actually get anything you want there apart from a sandwich, some local produce, or a beer. Due to this it's fairly quiet and lots of shops are closing down, leaving only the tea rooms hanging on.

• Like 1

Get all our car stuff from either of 2 local shops rather than Halfords.

DIY requirements from the local hardware shop, even though it's run by a baggies fan.

Also I drink as much alcohol as I can from the local offie, sometimes they let me sit/lie outside too, you don't get that at Asda.

I like the thought, but it's inconvenient. I'm lucky, I've got 2 Aldis, 1 24/7 Tesco, 1 24/7 Asda and a Sainsbury's within about 2 miles from my house.. 

Blackheath?

Cradley in reality, Haden Hill in belief :lol: 

We have a van come round selling 'caught that day' fish and theres a supplier of farm fresh eggs once a fortnight, We do have a farmers market, but quality don't come cheap

Theres a local chain store, but you can get most local produced veg from a couple of smaller outlets. Its fresh produce and a darned sight better tasting that some of the sorry looking fare the supermarket doles out.

We also have a dairy cum bakery.

The-Big-Lebowski-WTF-Gif.gif

Cream pie a speciality! !!

Spot on....cream horns are to die for. :o

Yep, I'm part of the problem, not the solution.

I only use high street shops by random chance (e.g. on holiday). 90% of my shopping is from big supermarkets and the internet.

Life (and budget)'s too short.

Blackheath?

Cradley in reality, Haden Hill in belief :lol:

U need to get urself down cradley market!...it's an experience :-)

• Like 1

Meat from a local butcher, hardware/parts from a local service centre and that's about it.  I would make a point of going to a local record store, if we had one.  Everything else online or big shops.

Aint got time to go to several different local shops for different things whilst struggling to park. Much easier to get it all under one roof (tesco) and be able to park with ease. Sad but thats life.

Also these local shops you actually have to talk to the staff (heaven forbid) and always feel guilty not buying if im the only customer. At tesco its guilt free and dont need to talk to anyone. Stress free

Edited by donnie

Â