Chess World Cup

momo

Chess is a game I want to learn inside out by the time I retire, so I can virtually sit in virtual-gardens (because outside will be either be radioactive or flooded), and play with fellow old-timers while getting nostalgic about the good old days before everyone sat inside all day glued to their computer screens, and one day I will play against some upstart kid who speaks a strange dialect and calls me a  grumpy old git for not embracing change, before beating me comfortably and, when I ask how he did so, he reveals he is in fact synthetic life and the revolution will be youtubed.

• Like 2

I was ace at chess when I was at school, we got to the quarter-finals of The Times schools competition one year.   I realise that's fairly geeky, but there you are.  I gave it up when I realised it wasn't a big hit with the ladies!

Edited by Risso

I'd be up for a chess league if someone can set one up, I love the game. I watched one of the condensed youtube games from the world finals last night in fact, ended in a draw that particular one did. I've spent many an evening playing my dad, considering he's dyslexic he has a massive advantage on me if we were to add up all the games we've played and won, he must have a tactically aware brain to make up for his lack of the 3 R's. You can only pick the game up with experience and sticking to some main principles.

Attack weak areas of the board

Defend your strengths

Don't get caught up completely attacking or defending

Pawns are important pieces, people often sacrifice them like they have no value

Be subtle

I have such a non-chess brain. I know how to play - in the sense that I know how the pieces move - but actually being able to see what's going on, and to think more than one move (actually even one move) ahead is completely beyond me. Total voodoo. 

It scares and depresses me in much the same way that maths does. 

Â