Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Hoolahan may be able to do a short term job I guess. Lambert knows him well and £1.5m sounds within our budget.

I should think they'd be looking at him to do a short term job. Perhaps we'd buy a younger talented CAM (later on) and Hoolahan would offer vital experience to him and also other players in the midfield. Hopefully he can be a cool head. Someone to look up for and get the ball to and control the game more when the kids panic.

Edited by tomh621

He might surprise some with how good he is if he ends up here.

i really hope he does

But i also think if Norwich try and play hardball and ask for more we should move on to other targets 1.5 mill for a 31 year old is about right

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

He might surprise some with how good he is if he ends up here.

i really hope he does

But i also think if Norwich try and play hardball and ask for more we should move on to other targets 1.5 mill for a 31 year old is about right

I agree. I think Lambert would agree too considering the nature of his signings. 

A relatively cheap option for a striker would be Reading's Adam LeFondre. I remember he did decent last season, especially since he would mainly come off the bench. Would he be successful here at villa?

We really don't need another striker. Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Helenius, Bowery and Delfouneso makes 6 strikers. 

• Like 1

Ciggies - HH foretold this in his penultimate hurra.

Not a great big name but someone who will get others playing better around him because of the way he plays and his experience.

Hoolahan fits that to a T and will help us a lot (I hope) especially at home

Ok thanks. Yeah I guess it fits.

To be honest though even a happy clapper like myself has a hard time getting excited about this one. At least with the summer signings there was the whiff of the unknown and possibilities of youth. With this... well, feels like a step back somewhow.

Maybe we need to take a step back and get in some experience and known quality.

• Like 2

A relatively cheap option for a striker would be Reading's Adam LeFondre. I remember he did decent last season, especially since he would mainly come off the bench. Would he be successful here at villa?

We really don't need another striker. Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Helenius, Bowery and Delfouneso makes 6 strikers.
Maybe a cheap option on loan? Gabby and Weimann are mainly used out wide, Helenius seems like he'll hardly feature this season, not sure about Delfouneso and Bowery doesn't seem good enough. We'll need someone who'll play up front either with Benteke or as backup considering our lack of goals this season. Or maybe it's just that we lack that creative AM to feed our strikers more chances.

If Kozak is not replaced, what does it say about getting him here in the first place, ahead of an AM we desperately needed?

That is actually a good point. Personally I just don't think we need another striker at the moment. We have plenty of strikers already and even if we have to move Gabby or Weimann centrally, we still have the likes of Albrighton, Tonev, and eventually N'Zogbia who can play the wing. The striker position even with Kozak injured is in good shape. We need a creative midfielder and potentially another fullback now that Bennett seems to be transfer listed. 

If Kozak is not replaced, what does it say about getting him here in the first place, ahead of an AM we desperately needed?

That is actually a good point. Personally I just don't think we need another striker at the moment. We have plenty of strikers already and even if we have to move Gabby or Weimann centrally, we still have the likes of Albrighton, Tonev, and eventually N'Zogbia who can play the wing. The striker position even with Kozak injured is in good shape. We need a creative midfielder and potentially another fullback now that Bennett seems to be transfer listed.

Was Kozak signed before Benteke signed his new deal?

If so, it could have been a case of bringing a possible Benteke replacement in for cheap, before Benteke was sold for big money and we were held for ransom.

Theres no way norwich are selling lambert a player.

What like Jed Steer?

His contract was up - not the same. Get your facts straight before trying to be a smartarse.

Well it wasn't completely up, had a new offer from Norwich, plus we had to pay compensation, so we have dealt with them club to club.

I'll leave the insults to you if it makes you feel brave.

Theres no way norwich are selling lambert a player.

What like Jed Steer?

His contract was up - not the same. Get your facts straight before trying to be a smartarse.

Well it wasn't completely up, had a new offer from Norwich, plus we had to pay compensation, so we have dealt with them club to club.

I'll leave the insults to you if it makes you feel brave.

We didn't deal with them club to club - the fee was set by tribunal...

• Like 1

The Hoolahan rumour kinda reminds me of when MON wanted to sign Bobo Balde from Celtic, thank god that didn't happen.

Hopefully if this comes of it will be more like with Petrov.

No big fan of managers signing players from their former clubs

Or the manager who made that decision to prioritise him ahead of an AM in the summer...

Â