Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

So..

Kevin De Bruyne

Mata

Essien

Ronaldinho

Defour

Looks like we are going to make a late charge for the Champions League then. What a load of BS in this thread. I expect many people are going to be disappointed. The market we are in will be washed up ex-prem players in the Championship and if we get lucky current English bench warmers at CL clubs, like Richards.

I would say that the ageing Essien and the out of favour Defour are possibilities, the others are dream land signing though.

Why are people saying ronaldinho I dream land? He is appalling now. Tom Vickery on the bbc (probably the best football journalist the bb have), states that Ronaldinho struggled to make an impression in the Brazilian league. He would not cut it in the prem now

Lambert was slated for buying Kozac in the first place-The board would go into meltdown if he bought another one in.

With Kozak out for the rest of the season we'd be bonkers not to. Neither Bowery or Helenius are going to get goals if any of our first choice strikers are out for any length of time.

I don't think we need another striker. The way we play, you can either play strikers or wide-men upfront in our 4-3-3.

Without Kozak, you still have: Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Tonev, Helenius & Albrighton to chose from. Even Bacuna could play further up if required.

Other positions are much more important for us to strengthen (CM or CB).

Yeah, kaboul, since delph appears to be over his injury problems our physio team must be bored to tears, give them something to do

Delph might be ok but Bennett, Vlaar, Gardner and now Kozak will keep them occupied.

Not to mention Okore

and N'Zogbia

So..

Kevin De Bruyne

Mata

Essien

Ronaldinho

Defour

Looks like we are going to make a late charge for the Champions League then. What a load of BS in this thread. I expect many people are going to be disappointed. The market we are in will be washed up ex-prem players in the Championship and if we get lucky current English bench warmers at CL clubs, like Richards.

I would say that the ageing Essien and the out of favour Defour are possibilities, the others are dream land signing though.

Why are people saying ronaldinho I dream land? He is appalling now. Tom Vickery on the bbc (probably the best football journalist the bb have), states that Ronaldinho struggled to make an impression in the Brazilian league. He would not cut it in the prem now

He's also known for being a worse party animal than Best & Gascoigne combined. Ffs he wanted to build a tunnel between his nightclub and his home in Porto Alegre...

• Like 2

James Nursey is saying we have no specific plans or urgency to sign anyone in the transfer window.

good to know eh

I wouldn't mind what he says.

James Nursey is saying we have no specific plans or urgency to sign anyone in the transfer window.

good to know eh

James Nursey knows **** all. Pretty sure we will release something when we have something to announce.

Saying that, there is always a chance that we sign nobody. :-(

He does i’m afraid, clearly has a contact or two at the club.

Also his article is very similar to HH, indicating we’ll try for a few...

Aston Villa transfer window preview: No urgent plans for changes as Paul Lambert looks to keep hold of Christian Benteke

Jan 02, 2014 15:100 Comments

OPINION BY JAMESNURSEY

James Nursey says the Villa boss has nobody in particular in mind to sign over the next month as he looks to give homegrown talent a chance

Going nowhere: Villa will not sell Benteke this winterGoing nowhere: Villa will not sell Benteke this winterNeville Williams

Despite some recent defeats, Paul Lambert is content with his squad and this window will be about refining and gently tweaking Aston Villa's playing staff.

Villa were active in the summer bringing in seven players and you can rule out major surgery this window.

Villa officials are mindful at this time of the year, talented players are extremely over-priced and tough to land.

Consequently, expect Villa to do just one or two bits of business with an emphasis on quality not quantity.

Also do not be surprised if Villa utilise the loan market as Randy Lerner's continues to keep his big cheque book shut in the new era of financial sustainability at the club.

Any incomings will clearly depend on players in the 25-man Premier League squad being moved on.

But I am assured their are no plans to sell Christian Benteke, who bagged 23 goals last term and was targeted by Spurs in the summer.

It may not sit well with ambitious, restless fans, but Villa actually have a fairly well balanced squad in terms of cover for positions and I am told Lambert is not planning to urgently address any specific area.

The side have clearly missed injured centre-back Ron Vlaar of late but Jores Okore - who looked really decent before he got crocked - is now due to return this season from his surgery so the club are unlikely to spank a load of cash on a new stopper in a permanent transfer.

I am sure fans would love to see some proven Premier League players arrive, especially after three successive defeats before Christmas, and Lambert has spoken of his desire to add experience to the ranks.

Injured: Ron Vlaar has been a big miss Jan Kruger

But their most recent model has been buy cheaper, younger, hungrier players with potential from either the lower leagues or abroad.

It means of course Villa remain in transition and prone to some inconsistent results as the side continues to grow.

But they have progressed from last season and are heading in the right direction even if it is not as quickly as many supporters would wish.

Consequently, I have checked recently and my sources at Villa Park assure me there is currently no one specific must-have player they are chasing.

But personally I feel they could do with someone new in the central midfield area capable of picking a pass, scoring, breaking up play and being comfortable on the ball.

Ashley Westwood, Fabian Delph, Karim El Ahmadi and Yacouba Sylla are all useful midfielders and Villa have options there.

I've heard on the grapevine from external sources that Lambert has put some feelers out - mainly abroad - to potentially try and land an all-round midfielder.

Perhaps someone in the mould of ex-captain Stiliyan Petrov would suit.

Because despite Westwood and Delph impressing this season, none of the aforementioned quartet often make the killer pass in the final third.

Westwood is good at keeping possession ticking over which is so important in the modern game.

Delph gets stuck in, is rarely out-muscled by anybody and is starting to be more offensive.

But further quality would be welcome in the engine room and Lambert has shown before he can pluck cheap rough diamonds from down the leagues or abroad and is looking to do so again.

On the radar: Anthony Pilkington could be a target for Aston Villa Julian Finney

And a move for Norwich's Anthony Pilkington - out of contract in the summer - could be on the cards.

The amount of business done will be partly determined by who goes as Villa boss Lambert continues to overhaul his squad.

Outcast Alan Hutton remains available for transfer and will go if anyone agrees to meet his wages.

Villa would also happily move £50,000-a-week keeper Shay Given from the wage bill permanently in the summer after offloading on loan to Middlesbrough.

Nathan Delfouneso - currently on loan at Blackpool - still has six months left on his contract and is due back in January when he will again be available to leave.

While Marc Albrighton, out of contract in the summer, could also potentially go IF Lambert decides he is surplus to requirements.

Albrighton is currently being given a chance to stake a claim for a future at the club and needs to grasp it, otherwise a summer exit on a Bosman is likely.

Gary Gardner, also once highly-rated, is in a similar position with his contract up too in July.

The club are keen to give both homegrown lads every chance to succeed and stay on new deals as they are regarded as good, talented lads.

But equally both could be sold or loaned out if they fail to nail down a regular place in the matchday 16.

Both Villa and Lambert are fairly ruthless these days at moving on players who do not take their chance or come up to scratch.

The logic being if players do not take the opportunity or thrive, then it makes sense to give someone else a chance instead.

As both Darren Bent, on loan at Fulham, and Stephen Ireland, on loan at Stoke, will attest as they have almost certainly kicked their last ball for the claret and blue

Mirror

Edited by VillaForever1970

good to know eh

Read the full article - not the headline. It covers just about every permutation possible ......'one or two bits & pieces' - 'quality not Quantity'  - Even talks about hanging onto Benteke !

• Like 1

The article says we may sign one or two and possibly a loan which is exactly what HH has said.

Where it differs is that Nursery says we have no names or targets in mind which seems to be unlikely if we wanted to bring someone you'd have thought we may have an idea who that might be!

He's got an article to write and has gone for known unknowns. Nothing to see here. Next

Lambert was slated for buying Kozac in the first place-The board would go into meltdown if he bought another one in.

With Kozak out for the rest of the season we'd be bonkers not to. Neither Bowery or Helenius are going to get goals if any of our first choice strikers are out for any length of time.

I don't think we need another striker. The way we play, you can either play strikers or wide-men upfront in our 4-3-3.

Without Kozak, you still have: Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Tonev, Helenius & Albrighton to chose from. Even Bacuna could play further up if required.

Yeah, kaboul, since delph appears to be over his injury problems our physio team must be bored to tears, give them something to do

Delph might be ok but Bennett, Vlaar, Gardner and now Kozak will keep them occupied.

Not to mention Okore

and N'Zogbia

I have no faith in Tonev, Bowery or Albrighton scoring this season. Helenius may chip in but he's unproven and given how fragile our defence can be without Vlaar I think it is too risky to bank on Benteke, Gabby and Andi remaining injury or suspension free for any length of time.

How dare you miss out J-Bowz!!

:rant:

being linked with Jermaine Jones in Daily Mail, he was awful few years ago at Blackburn on loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2532703/Jermaine-Jones-set-Schalke-exit-Villa-West-Brom-Sunderland-eye-USA-midfielder.html

A cluster of Premier League clubs have been alerted to the availability of Jermaine Jones, with the likelihood of the player leaving Schalke this month growing stronger. 

The 32-year-old, who spent time on loan at Blackburn Rovers three seasons ago, hasn’t travelled to the club’s January training camp in Doha.

And Jones, out of contract in the summer, wants a move away from Gelsenkirchen quickly. Schalke are keen to make some money back on the midfielder they signed in 2007.

Aston Villa, West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich and Crystal Palace are all keeping tabs on the situation. 

Although his spell at the Veltins Arena is coming to an end, Jones has made 18 appearances for Schalke this season - including both Champions League defeats against Chelsea.

Any move to England would be short-term, with Jones desperate for game time ahead of the World Cup in Brazil this summer. 

The midfielder has been capped 38 times for the USA - despite being born in Germany.

good to know eh

Read the full article - not the headline. It covers just about every permutation possible ......'one or two bits & pieces' - 'quality not Quantity'  - Even talks about hanging onto Benteke !

still contradicts the tone and intention coming from our fearless leader

according to PL and HH - we have targets in mind and have already done the ground work - Nursey's article says nothing about anything but definitely tries to suggest we are not arsed about signing anyone.

Edited by VillanousOne

If Spuds wants Lescott, how about Kaboul?.......really rate him.Boyota from Citeeehhhhh i rate as well.

If Kaboul was fit there is no way we'd even consider Lescott. He's our best CB and one of the best in the Prem. But he can't get fit. We haven't even offered him a new deal as far as I know and his contract runs out in the summer. You don't let players like Kaboul leave for free at just 28 years old unless there is a good reason. 

That article from Nursey is quite interesting in that he mentions were looking at an all round midfielder from abroad and Defour would certainly fit that bill. He's got good experience, was a captain for his team at 19 and according to a couple of different sites, his salary is about €12-13k a week too ? No idea how well he's been playing for Porto but he's always looked a good player for Belgium and looked great at Standard Liege too.

Â