Premier league goalkeepers.

VillaChris

Guzan's bad with his feet, and it is important for a goalkeeper to be good with his feet these days. But it's hardly the be all, end all, is it? I mean, if it was, Ronaldo and Messi would make some really good keepers. And Zlatan too. I actually doubt Hart would be valued higher than Guzan. I doubt any big club would buy any of the two.

And I bet liverpool wish today that they'd bought Benteke for £7m instead of Carroll for £35m. Or even £35.

Good passing doesn't MAKE you a good keeper.

It's nice bonus, but it isn't key.

It's also much more important for certain teams. Vorm and Valdes are both perfect for their teams because of how they play.

I'd say Valdes is amongst the best footballing goalkeepers in the world. But I wouldn't have him in my top 5 keepers outright.

I just think it is something he could easily add to his game, we see ourselves under a lot of pressure through it. I do realise that it is sometimes down to vlaar clarke an baker with poor back passes but just wish he would relax an use the ball well instead of smashing it out of play, or giving it back to someone whos under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Goalkeeping is about so much more than shot stopping though. If that were all you needed then Shay Given would be the greatest goalkeeper the world has ever seen instead of being the most over rated. 

• Like 1

Szczesny has the best saves-to-shots rate of any regular Premier League goalkeeper this season at 81%. To me he is the best keeper in the country this season by some distance.

Not a chance.

He's decent. Nothing more.

He's probably playing the best at the moment. While that's not the same as being the best keeper, it's probably all Arsenal care about. FWIW I do think he's under-rated and gets stick based on the distant past. At only 23 he's still remarkably good for a young keeper and still has an awful lot of development to go through.

• Like 1

He is more then 'decent' this season.

I don't think he's done too much of note. 

Decent shot stopper no doubt. But as the Rev says, it's about more than that. And he's not particularly special at the rest of his game, this season or any other.

He's probably playing the best at the moment. While that's not the same as being the best keeper, it's probably all Arsenal care about. FWIW I do think he's under-rated and gets stick based on the distant past. At only 23 he's still remarkably good for a young keeper and still has an awful lot of development to go through.

i do think he is talented but I think he comes across as a bit cocky and thats why people jump on his mistakes. 1 think ive noticed about him is if he makes a mistake he cant block it out for rest of game and seems to affect him.

i do think he is talented but I think he comes across as a bit cocky and thats why people jump on his mistakes. 1 think ive noticed about him is if he makes a mistake he cant block it out for rest of game and seems to affect him.

He does come across as cocky. He probably is cocky. He's a 23 year old playing for the league leaders and is his national team's number one. It's harsh to judge someone for that. It's even harsher (and plain wrong) to use it as a way to somehow denigrate his ability as a goalkeeper.

Having played in goal for 20 years, I can say with certainty that cockiness/overconfidence is basically a necessary attribute for a goalkeeper.

yes, you have to harness it somewhat, but a timid goalkeeper is doomed to failure.

He is more then 'decent' this season.

I don't think he's done too much of note.

At 1-0 against Cardiff he kept them ahead with a fantastic save having gone a long time without doing a thing. Those are the moments that good keepers playing for good teams need. I suppose there's a different discipline (concentration) required for keepers like Cech, Szczesny & de Gea where they might only need to make 1 top save in 90 minutes whereas someone like Ali Al-Habsi on his day would look unbeatable because he was constantly making saves from start to finish, yet somehow he was never picked up by a top side.

Â