Where is European football headed?

ThunderPower_14

I toyed with the thread title for a while to get something that covered what I wanted to say.

Basically i'm wondering how people see the game progressing over the next few decades.

Obviously financially there has to be some sort of limit to what can be achieved, and even now in the PL we've seen that with several big spending clubs and only a few Champions League places, big money doesn't guarantee success.The sort of money being spent on wages and transfers is crazy, and even though it will continue to increase for the time being, surely eventually the bubble will burst in some way or another. 

Will clubs like Man City simply be crushed under the weight of their financial requirements when their owners get sick of them? 

Will having a billionaire owner be a prerequisite for even being in a league like the Premier League? Will that mean that there will be more Cardiffs having to throw away their history for money?

Will we see a European Superleague with only the top 20 or 40 clubs depending on whether they have a couple of divisions involved? Would we be involved in that sort of thing because of our fanbase and being a big club historically, or will our long term absence from top level European football see us left out?

What will happen with domestic football when that happens? 

What other sorts of things can we expect? 

More protection for the big clubs, higher ticket prices, the rich will get richer, some rule to assure big teams get into the last 16 of the champions league automatically, fines for clubs who finish on less than 50 points.

Basically however the 'elite' choose the rules to be.

I think the next step in the evolution of the CL into a European Super League is merging the CL and EL (probably renaming the EL Champions League 2 or some such). You qualify for Europe and then your coefficient determines whether you're in the CL or EL. Would instantly devalue the national leagues and allow the biggest clubs to treat domestic league games as near-reserve competitions (the big clubs would only have to finish top 6 to get in the CL).

I think the next step in the evolution of the CL into a European Super League is merging the CL and EL (probably renaming the EL Champions League 2 or some such). You qualify for Europe and then your coefficient determines whether you're in the CL or EL. Would instantly devalue the national leagues and allow the biggest clubs to treat domestic league games as near-reserve competitions (the big clubs would only have to finish top 6 to get in the CL).

I can't see the league title being a reserve competition. Not with the money involved, it's still the bigger draw than European games. 

There was talks of this super league of sorts, it was pretty damn crazy. It was about 50 million pounds(I think) for just qualifying. Would not surprised if it ended up with something like that after a while. Not gonna bother looking for it as it was written in norwegian, but it involved rich oil arabs and stuff. Yeah, no surprise there. 

I would be more worried about teams like cardiff though, would not surprise me if more and more of that kinda thing happens. Advertising will still push on, if they see a chance then they will probably take it as well.

Do think it is important that they try to limit this stuff as it will damage the overall product if it goes to far. Or maybe not...

It is disgusting though, and my biggest problem is licensing. In Norway it is like this.

TV2 - Can show some free cup game once in a while from England, but rarely. Same with Norwegian football, usually one match each week. They also show Premier League and some lower league games but that costs money as well.

Viasat - Shows some Ligue 1 football and champions league. Also costs money of course.

Cmore. - Shows Norwegian football and they have some Italian League games. Also has some spanish ones. Costs money as well...

Eurosport 1 and 2 - Has some german games, but it seems random. Can be from the first or the second league.

Canal 9 - Also shows some Italian league games but it seems random as well

Not sure if I am missing something, but that is the gist of it. If you wanna have all this stuff, it costs over 70 pounds a month probably, maybe more. And the absolute worst thing is, none of them have full coverage except viasat when it comes to champions league.Well maybe Cmore has full coverage, at least almost but norwegian football sucks, I only watch it for my local team so who cares, it`s as expensive as premier league which is a joke.

Tv2 has full coverage on premier league but after that that crap that happened in nottingham, they only show one match at 15:00 on saturday. What a piece of **** shit. Even when paying, I am forced to go and look at crappy stream when villa are playing like yesterday, why should I as a paying consumer do that???

I could watch the game like 5 hours later on replay, but then I have to avoid everything about football and that is a joke. Again, why should I as a paying customer do that. 

This is my biggest issue with football at the moment, it`s all about squeezing that money from something that I really love, and it`s frustrating. I just wanna watch some god damned football, not this trivial crap. They even have the audacity to show commercials on TV2 when there is a break which is a f***** joke. I am already paying good amount of money for this crap, why should I watch this? I am scared to think off how it is in 20 years from now. My dream is to have one place to go, like youtube but you can watch every type of football in good quality for a good price, a fair price. By the looks of it, that is not gonna happen for quite some time, if ever in my lifetime.

Is it true that now even teams which are relegated from PL get more money than Champions league winner? i've heard it somewhere... I think that won't be any real drastic changes to league and european cups format (Europa league and CL merge - maaaaybe, but not something called "super league" with 20 richest clubs or something like that. I think that Premier League will continue to be the most watched league in the world = it would draw next "rich arabs". 

galatasarays owner has already asked for a super league

cant see it happening unless la liga collapses due to 18 of them going bankrupt

in my mind a super league would see teams leave their respective league, would spend 5-10 years in the courts before that could happen

I reckon the next step for "European football" is for a few "Champions League" games to head to China and the USA, much like how the NFL has its annual stupid game at Wembley.

There would be plenty of takers to this idea, too - especially those teams trying to make a mark on those markets and without any scruples (the classless clubs, basically) - Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG etc.

I bet it happens within the next ten years. There is still some remains on the dead horse to flog.

Clubs actually leaving their leagues would be a step too far though.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

yeah id agree with that, the prem approached it wrong with the 39th game which would throw up a set of different problems, if they asked clubs to give up home games like the NFL does then im sure they'd be some takers

will be interesting to see if the 2020 Euros multiple cities thing are a part of some bigger plan, think it'll be done at a world cup too

as ive said before the super league will get boring for a few reasons.

a. the loss of a lot of derbies and rivalries will make some fans not be interested. Am sure liverpool fans would prefer playing Everton every season and Arsenal playing Spurs as be surprised if Spurs and Everton got invited.

b. also teams like Inter Milan or Arsenal for example would probably get bored being also rans in a european league and prefer to go back to league phase when not 17 other teams chasing the title

• Like 1

Â