Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

If we have our personnel back I'm quite positive about this game.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Bacuna Benteke Gabby

Weimann and Kozak could make an impact from the bench. I would drop Kea for Delph.

1-2 Villa.

So Gabby walks straight back in the team even though he hasn't scored this season I think Kozak deserves to keep his place.

Gabby has a decent goal scoring record in derby games and his pace is vital in how we play, especially away from home. Must start for me despite his lack of goals.

Yeah the problem is we need to choose a team (or rather Lambert does) that is capable of beating the opposition on an individual basis - the team that faced Cardiff would have been comfortably beat at Baggies I feel - and we'll be soaking up pressure that a local derby puts on us so a counter attack and pace is best suited for us - that's why id throw Gabby straight back in for Kozak. Also Gabby is always well up for derby games and has a decent return of goals in them.

I think Gabby has to play in this (if fit) because of his pace on the break.

I also like the idea of moving Bacuna higher up the pitch and ideally upfront as he looks very direct when he gets the ball and quick too. We do not have many players who have that natural talent at moving forward with the ball at their feet.

It's away, so back to 4-3-3 for me:

----------Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Baker Luna

----------Sylla

-----Westwood Delph

Lowton-------------Tonev

-------- Benteke

I would've been tempted to have kept Clark at LB to counter Amalfitano but sounds like he'll be out judging by what Kendrick has said. Luna should be fit by then. I want to see the Bacuna/Lowton combo on the right again but I'd rather Bacuna remain as the RB as he is far more solid defensively then Lowton. I think he'll still be able to get forward regularly with Lowton being able to cover for him when he does.

Sylla holding will hopefully be able to stiffle Sessegnon. Westwood ahead will have less defensive onus on him and can aide possession retention in the middle of the park.

Tonev should keep his place I believe as he does contribute when he keeps it simple. I'd hate to see Gabby and/or Weimann walk back into the team as neither deserve it. They probably both will though no doubt. Perhaps slightly harsh on Kozak leaving him out but we can't play 4-4-2 away just to accomodate him.

Smethwick have been impressive of late and like us were cheated at Stamford Bridge. Should be a tough game but I feel we can frustrate them given our newfound defensive solidity. The sort of game where an early goal would be ideal.

I'll go for 2-1 to us. Tonev and Benteke. Someone like McAuley for them late on from a set-piece.

Edited by Isa

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Bacuna Benteke Gabby

Weimann and Kozak could make an impact from the bench. I would drop Kea for Delph.

1-2 Villa.

So Gabby walks straight back in the team even though he hasn't scored this season I think Kozak deserves to keep his place.

Gabby has a decent goal scoring record in derby games and his pace is vital in how we play, especially away from home. Must start for me despite his lack of goals.

Not sure on his actual record in derbies, but he normally always scores in these type of games, most fondly against the scum in 2008/09 in the 2-1 away win :P Also, his pace on the break will be needed if we are to play the accustomed counter attacking football we are known for away from home.

It's going to be tense...

2-1 to us until the sixth minute of injury time and Baggies get a penalty (Every little helps) to make it 2-2...

Bacuna will then deploy an amazing solo run from the kick-off, ending in a driving shot straight in to the bottom corner of The Albion's net to secure a 3-2 win.

• Like 1

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Bacuna Benteke Gabby

1-2 Villa.

Yeah the problem is we need to choose a team (or rather Lambert does) that is capable of beating the opposition on an individual basis - the team that faced Cardiff would have been comfortably beat at Baggies I feel - and we'll be soaking up pressure that a local derby puts on us so a counter attack and pace is best suited for us - that's why id throw Gabby straight back in for Kozak. Also Gabby is always well up for derby games and has a decent return of goals in them.

Fair point but he's been out of form since he returned from his last injury. A 100% Gabby playing like he did at the backend of last season is a definate starter but I'd still keep Kozak in and have Gabby replace Tonev. You don't drop a player who scores do you?

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Bacuna Benteke Gabby

1-2 Villa.

Fair point but he's been out of form since he returned from his last injury. A 100% Gabby playing like he did at the backend of last season is a definate starter but I'd still keep Kozak in and have Gabby replace Tonev. You don't drop a player who scores do you?

Perhaps not and bringing Gabby in for Tonev wouldn't disappoint me at all - although I did feel that we looked better attacking Cardiff when Tonev went out wide and was whipping in crosses. What both Gabby and Tonev have the capability of doing is tracking back to defend which I'm confident we'll need to do against West Brom.

Guzan is now also doubtful due to a mystery unspecified injury and has been withdrawn from the US squad for their friendlies this and next week; I wouldn't feel conformable with Steer between the sticks so would play Given instead.

Add to Clark also being withdrawn from the ROI's squad we would struggle to play 4-3-3 and are more likely to see a similar formation to the one played against West Spam (3-5-2) or Cardiff (4-1-3-2).

I would still play the tested 4-3-3 formation myself, Given, Herd, Vlaar, Lowton, Baker (Luna), KEA (Delph), Sylla, Westwood, Tonev (Weimann) Benteke and Bacuna.

Bench: Steer, Helenius, Bowery, Robinson, Johnson, Kozak and Doiceien(?).

Delph, Luna and Weimann aiming to return, Gabby most likely out and Guzan and Clark's statuses unknown is the latest team news.

Edited by Avflife

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Bacuna Benteke Gabby

1-2 Villa.

Gabby loves a derby goal!

Gabby loves a derby goal!

Be interesting to see if he's been left to get fired up on the bench and then brought on with half an hour to go though.

If he is indeed fit enough to be part of the squad....even if he isn't I could see him running on to the pitch from the crowd with this one...

Id also like to know which idiot has decided 8pm is an appropriate time to stage this derby, the rivalry is stronger now than any time in years, asking for trouble.

That's be SkyScumSport and PC Plod.

Hope we beat these whining yam yam bastards

• Like 1