Your Dads Car

Meath_Villan

My Dad doesn't drive, but the first thing I can remember Our Mom driving us around in, when I was young, was one of these bad boys. We had some great adventures in the 'Pea Pod'. Sliding around on the seats in the back, that were fastened in by Velcro! Happy days...

$(KGrHqZHJDoE-OK!LnP+BPl!J9HWcw~~60_12.J

Edited by dAVe80

My dad was known locally as "Honest Al" due to the sheer number of cars he went through. All of them were bangers about to die. I have particular memories of him trying to drive a Talbot Sunbeam which is particularly tricky when you are six feet four. 

My dad has kept a book of all the cars he's ever owned, which as I mentioned earlier is quite a lot as he has been buying and selling them as a hobby and a way to make some extra money. His first was a Reliant SuperVan III which is the model Delboy drove (not a Robin) but currently drives a Mercedes C Class.

In his book of cars he has added notes to remind himself never to buy a Rover or a Renault ever again.

• Like 1

When I was born he owned a Renault 4

renault-in-lead.jpg

He very very briefly had a Vauxhall Viva & a Hillman Hunter (as in for a few weeks).

Vauxhall-viva-fq.jpg

hunter.jpg

Then there were various forms of Ford Cortina including a Mk3, loads of Mk4s and a Mk5.

4199109013_a926d97832.jpg

a1_ford_cortina.jpg

user-5567812_1178787654.jpg

He got fed up fixing oil leaks so he went to a Volkswagen Jetta which reliability-wise was a great car

Picture-33.png

Then a Nissan Bluebird which was probably my favourite.

5856159367_9cf52579c9_z.jpg

Then I was no longer a kid and he moved on to stuff with less character like Opel Vectras and Toyota Corollas.

My old man had some well-cossetted cars down the years. Ford Pop, couple of superb Corsairs, a Princess (which he always considered the height of luxury!)  a metro or two.

When he was 65, he threw his keys on the side, sold the car and picked up his bus pass. I remember his very words 'That's it for me.....everybody*s a ******* lunatic these days'

This one - the Austin Kimberley when I was a kid

Austin_X6_Kimberly_MKII_1.jpg

When I was about 8 he got a new job and her was quite a big wig around town, so they gave him this as part of his package - Holden Statesman DeVille - an absolute BEAST

$(KGrHqN,!lsFJj2Euh)wBSZPqqHJbQ~~48_20.J

My dad had an Austin Montego, a symphony of beige bodywork with a beige interior, I remember he once locked the keys inside it whilst picking me up from school when another man noticed we was locked out said he also drove a Montego and used his keys to open ours, every Austin had the same key it seemed.

He also had a white nova with a brown velour interior, it was **** horrible

Dad had a lot of company cars.... so over the years we had 

Volvo 850

Volvo V70 (at least 3 of these) 

Volvo S40

Ford Galaxy

Landy Freelander

MG Maestro (x2)

Ford Fiesta (x2)

Hes also had a Landy Defender

Landy Disco

VW Golf

out of curio, where did you buy it from?

Just that there was one being transported up the M5 earlier (and I thought of you)

Not mine!

I bought if from a little village outside of where I live.

The heating needs fixing though, it originally came from Florida so I don't think the American owner was too bothered about whether that worked or not.

My dad worked at BMC Washwood Heath making them for years, but never owned a car and never learned to drive. 

I didn't learn until I was thirty-three. 

My full list of cars owned since then has been: VW Golf, Austin Maestro, Vauxhall Cavalier, Renault Megane, another Golf, Citroen C3. 

My Dad's car CV:

Ford Cortina Mk 2

Ford Consul

Morris Marina Estate

Ford Granada Mk 2 

2x Vauxhall Senator

Vauxhall Cavalier

Since then he's had a bit more cash so he's had a BMW 328, BMW 330d and currently an Audi A4 3.2

I think he's looking at an S4 next

Â