Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I think it'll be the similar line up to the team at Eveton, think he'll play two in the middle of the park with Tonev and Bacuna out wide with Gabby and Benteke up top.

Possibly but that's risky because Cardiff play 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1 against top sides) whereas Everton lined-up basically 4-4-2 with a false number 10 (Barkley) against us so we went toe to toe with them (and Barkley was muck). I wouldn't like Cardiff flooding our midfield. Having Delph back will help immensely with that. It should be an interesting match :)

Assuming Luna, Weimann and Gabby are still out injured and Delph is back from illness I would start with the same formation we played against Everton (4-2-3-1), Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Sylla, Westwood, Delph, Tonev, Bacuna and Benteke, 2-1 Villa.

Medal will dominate the midfield if Sylla/Delph don't play and obviously the pace of both Bellamy and the driver need to be noted by PL.

Edited by Avflife

I must admit, I might start to worry a bit if we don't get 3 points from this one. They've had a win and a draw and we're surely due a win, so hopefully the law of averages should work in our favour  :P . Hoping we line up very attack minded as they don't have anything huge in terms of threats. Delph's return will help to make things happen and I can see Gabby's pace giving them problems if he's back too, and of course, they're gonna have to keep a very hungry beast quiet. We have a good opportunity to sort out our home form a bit so it'll be a massive disappointment if we throw this one away.

• Like 1

My line-up would be:

Guzan

Lowton    Vlaar         Clark      Baker

Sylla   Westwood Delph

Bacuna           Benteke           Tonev

This .. 

But switch Lowton and Bacuna .. 

Baker for Clark (Because of set pieces) .. 

Bennett as LB ..

Might consider Helenius for Westwood aswell ..

I'd go:

Guzan

Bacuna    -    Vlaar    -    Clark       -     Baker

Lowton    -   Sylla      -   Westwood  -      Delph

Benteke    -       Gabby

yeah that does look good, i'd have baker as LB though

Baker is terrible at left back, it's just not his spot. I don't know if Clark's any better as I haven't seen him in that role yet, but at least Clark has a little attacking instinct, good passing ability, and a bit more pace than Baker. Baker is not comfortable going forward and doesn't have the pace to get back. I'd like to see Clark tried out there, if we're assuming Luna and Bennett are both still out.

I hope that Lambert doesn't go for the 5-at-the-back again. It was much much too defensive vs. West Ham and would be similarly overkill vs. Cardiff at home. If the fullback injury problems make a back four problematic, what do people think about trying out an attacking 3-4-3 formation? Something like:

Guzan

Vlaar - Baker - Clark

Bacuna - KEA - Westwood/Sylla* - Delph

Helenius - Benteke - Tonev

I think Delph would do well over on the left, both in an attacking and defending capacity. Although his form has been not great so far, I think I'd favor Westwood in this formation vs. Cardiff, as we'll be looking to keep the ball and he's about the best passer we have. Sylla might be better deployed there if we need a little more steel against more physical teams, or maybe as a late sub to help protect a lead.

Ideally the front three would be Weimann and Gabby with CB provided they're all fit and firing. I'm not sure yet how Kozak and Benteke together are going to work. But with Helenius and Tonev up front with Benteke, we've got some pace and industry (Tonev) and some trickery/skills (Helenius). I think it could work.