Do you care what other people think about you?

Voinjama

Caring what other people think about you is fundamental to human moral psychology. So yes, I do care, and I would suggest that everybody who says they don't does to. Not in a vain way, just in a normal, functioning human capacity. There's a name for people who actually don't care what others think of them - psychopaths. 

I predict this post will receive alot of attention.

If people didn't care how they were perceived by others, they'd be unemployed and homeless. It's all part of the deal we make as members of a society, however begrudgingly we do it. We all bullshit each other.

Can you explain what you mean? I actually don't understand.

For example, if you want to get and keep a job, you must conform to collectively agreed upon rules of social engagement, and part of that means honoring rules and relationships within that context. You shower and shave before work because you don't want to be perceived as an apathetic slob.

Agree with PatrickC and maqroll.

There's arguably different levels; just like with most emotions. 

I care too much really, I'm pretty self conscious and always have been right through my teens and early-twenties.  If anything it'll get worse as my looks fade.

• Like 2

I care a great deal about what some people think about me. To my wife, I want to be her rock; her soul mate, her lover and her best friend.

To my daughters, I want to be a role model; a guide and a hero. Not through fancy or shallow exhibition of machismo, but through perseverance, commitment and love.

To my colleagues, I want to be trusted and an example of loyalty and graft. I am responsible for the professional development of a lot of people being an assistant head, so I should act with the stoicism, friendship and resilience that demands.

To anyone else. I am who I am. Those aforementioned 'personalities' have created the man I am.

I am a father and a husband first - a professional after that. I drink whisky and real ale. I listen to very little music that was produced after 1978. My political beliefs are based on work ethic and protectionism, but I haven't voted for the same party in any consecutive votes. I am fascinated by trains and trucks. Almost every book I own is historical fiction. I am a God fearing man, but open to the possibility that my faith is futile.

I am who I am because of what and who I love.

I will never make apologies for that.

• Like 1

I've had it said by people that know me that I'm too nice and if I was on a sinking ship I wouldn't get off until everyone else had and even then I'd probably give my life jacket to a passing seal with a wounded flipper

Now in all honesty I'm not that nice , but I'm more than happy to be thought of like that than people I know thinking I'm a complete rocket polisher

Obviously my online persona is nothing like that :) but for 99% of you I'm not likely to meet you so to a degree it means I can act differently than I would in the real world ... As I imagine 99% of you also do unless you really are all a bunch of bum sex loving sexist yogurt knitters :)

• Like 1

I've had it said by people that know me that I'm too nice and if I was on a sinking ship I wouldn't get off until everyone else had and even then I'd probably give my life jacket to a passing seal with a wounded flipper

Now in all honesty I'm not that nice , but I'm more than happy to be thought of like that than people I know thinking I'm a complete rocket polisher

Obviously my online persona is nothing like that :) but for 99% of you I'm not likely to meet you so to a degree it means I can act differently than I would in the real world ... As I imagine 99% of you also do unless you really are all a bunch of bum sex loving sexist yogurt knitters :)

Tony H, is that you??

I care what the people who matter think of me. People who know me. Loved ones, family and friends. To an extent I care about what others think, but I'm happy enough to accept not everyone will like me. I'm comfortable with that. I won't let anyone judge me though. Especially those that don't know me. Bollocks to that! 

Edited by dAVe80

I care what the people who matter think of me. People who know me. Loved ones, family and friends. To an extent I care about what others think, but I'm happy enough to except not everyone will like me. I'm comfortable with that. I won't let anyone judge me though. Especially those that don't know me. Bollocks to that!

What a tosser.

:)

I care what the people who matter think of me. People who know me. Loved ones, family and friends. To an extent I care about what others think, but I'm happy enough to except not everyone will like me. I'm comfortable with that. I won't let anyone judge me though. Especially those that don't know me. Bollocks to that!

What a tosser.

:( *sob*

• Like 1

Agree with PatrickC and maqroll.

There's arguably different levels; just like with most emotions. 

I care too much really, I'm pretty self conscious and always have been right through my teens and early-twenties.  If anything it'll get worse as my looks fade.

Said better than I said it.

There's a name for people who actually don't care what others think of them online - Morpheus. 

I can see why this has been deleted but I care enough to vigorously debate a point within an inch of not being allowed to do that anymore.

Honestly, no. Best day of my life when I realised it didn't matter one jot what other people thought, and I have genuine sympathy for people who can't get past that

If people didn't care how they were perceived by others, they'd be unemployed and homeless. It's all part of the deal we make as members of a society, however begrudgingly we do it. We all bullshit each other.

Im not employed or living in a house for the benefit of others, I'm doing it because it makes my life a LOT easier

A little bit. It depends really. It has toned down but it has affected my pattern of thought on some things which I do not like. However, I am very likable if you get to know me, I know I have a great personality as I am very rational and open to many things. But it`s still there on some things, specially how I dress and when meeting people. That is the biggest issue I have, first meetings. It`s literally the worst thing I know of and that really gets to me. But still, unless you are really weird or crazy then I could get along with you. 

Honestly, no. Best day of my life when I realised it didn't matter one jot what other people thought, and I have genuine sympathy for people who can't get past that

Im not employed or living in a house for the benefit of others, I'm doing it because it makes my life a LOT easier

You missed my point, see my second post above for clarification  :)

Â