Defensive Midfield Player

TRO

I think its one of the most interesting positions on a football field. I think it is also one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated.

They win the ball ,so by definition START the attack, they rarely catch the eye of the spectators but are valued immensely by their peers.

it amazes me, how many times play is reversed by these players sorties are created goals are scored but the seem to go under the radar.

In the days of the great Liverpool side they played with not one but 2  Jimmy case and Graham Souness ( granted Souness could scheme in addition)

If the Defence is fortunate enough to play a high line these guys are really effective by winning the ball high up the field and easily creating most of the attacks.

Its quite paradoxical at times just how much effect they can have on the offensive side of the game, despite them being classed as Defensive.

Claude Makele was on of the more famous types, but we had a good one in Des Bremner.

I can clearly remember going into the Aston Social club after the games and moaning about Des not being of suitable class in terms of skill with the rest of the team, I was clearly naïve and missing the point, I just simply didn't understand the role, so I didn't value his work.... sorry Des.

These guys for me are truly massively important for the team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

One of the sports channels covered this the other day when talking about the role Falmini is playing in the Arsenal midfield. For all their talent he is one of the biggest driving facotrs this season.

A solid DM is worth their weight in gold.

• Like 1

Yes agree

This was the position i hoped would have been our first priority this summer.

We also need a playmaker and an effective wingplayer for this system to work, but a DCM/Ballwinner would improve us no end

• Like 1

KEA is one of the highest tacklers in the league I believe. He plays as our most advanced midfielder though so it would be preferable if it were our DM doing most of the tackling.

Edited by Isa

KEA is one of the highest tacklers in the league I believe. He plays as our most advanced midfielder though so it would be preferable if it were our DM doing most of the tackling.

Forget your stats for a minute as I know you do love them. I mean someone who can actually do a slide tackle, take the man and the ball to add a bit of presence in our midfield. I was at Reading away last season and Sylla's first contribution was to actually slide one of their midfielders, win the ball and pass it on. I have never seen KEA do that, he nicks the ball from players but doesn't really add a presence for me.

No that is a fair point and as I said, he is too high up the pitch anyway. I would really like to see Sylla tried in the anchor role as I think it would be beneficial to the way we play.

• Like 1

The tackling stat is really meaningless. Great defensive midfielder read play and intercept balls just as easily as they can slide tackle. I think Sylla, KEA and Westwood are all defensive minded players,it's just that they're none of them are very good really and it shows.

• Like 1

The tackling stat is really meaningless. Great defensive midfielder read play and intercept balls just as easily as they can slide tackle. I think Sylla, KEA and Westwood are all defensive minded players,it's just that they're none of them are very good really and it shows.

Ain't that the truth.

Don't know how you can put Sylla into that category.

Don't know how you can put Sylla into that category.

Was about to say the same.

defensive midfield destroyers have seem to come into vogue in last few seasons, but the best defensive midfielders in the world dont do any of that. Pirlo, Xabi Alonso or Busquets are not going to snap into tackles and rather distribute the ball from defence

defensive midfield destroyers have seem to come into vogue in last few seasons, but the best defensive midfielders in the world dont do any of that. Pirlo, Xabi Alonso or Busquets are not going to snap into tackles and rather distribute the ball from defence

Busquets does, but I get your point re the other two

We already have a DM at the club

Whenever he plays we always seem to win or play well but he can never get in the team

Shame Lambert never actually plays him in the DM position though...

Free Yacouba!

Edited by Isa

Â