Home form / player form

Dodgyknees

It's difficult to avoid the fact that we are poor at home. It's frustrating, because what we are lacking is quite obvious.

We lack quality and squad depth in all most areas and tactically Lambert is struggling to make it work.

I'm willing to put up with some bad results for a while, as I'm interested in where Lambert is taking us, I agree his philosophy of signing young players, but we are going to need to sign better and that will cost us money. Fundamentally without better resources, we are not going to get better results.

• Like 3

Can't include Chelsea as this thread is about the home form :) I've never once disagreed with the fact we were unlucky against Everton, only thing I've said is that PL should of played Sylla as Westwood was torn to threads in that midfield yesterday and the City game we were lucky to get a point. If I annoy anyone with my correct views there is also the ignore poster button :)

It's not that you said we were lucky against City that bothers me, it was the way you tried to dismiss it.

We were lucky against City and have never dismissed it either ;)

I don't think it's fair to say "0 if not for luck". We won the City game fair and square. You mention luck but I thought we were pretty unlucky yesterday for example.

Fair and square lol, come on, are you being serious. We got battered for the opening 45 and were lucky to go into the break only 1 down. Expect for Bacuna's free-kick the other two were lucky as; KEA was offside for the 1st and Weimann couldn't miss the 3rd even if he tried his hardest.

So? It counts just as much as every other win. It's not like we cheated or anything.

I think it's really silly that you're trying to dismiss a win against a team like City just because we didn't outplay them.

I'm not dismissing the win against City, I'm saying we were lucky to beat them, very lucky indeed.

And we were unlucky to lose to Everton yesterday. What's your point?

So, it counts.

Just like you keep saying the City win counts as a win!

At this point in time, it seems to me that the excuses run out 'on paper' after this latest defeat.. We've had the tough opening run of games that I commented on and we have more points than 'worst case' I thought we could end up with at the end of October. We've had the tough fixtures, and we've had the injuries too... For me, no more excuses about tough fixtures and the team being a good, honest bunch of lads who are learning their trade and we go again etc. This next month is so crucial - for Lambert, the fans and the club.

I could be a long way wide of the mark here, but I have a feeling that a failure to win against Cardiff in particular (whether through luck, or with overpowering skill and dominance - whatever) then the fans may start to turn. On paper (yes I know, football is more than paper), we have to be beating teams like Cardiff. If (big if) we are slowly being lulled into a relegation scrap, it's teams like Cardiff who you need to maximise against. Last season it was Wigan, and look how that turned out... (you could equally example QPR and Sunderland I guess, but hey ho... with Villa, you just never know... Particularly with this current lot...)

That all said, where we seem to be right now with home form, I am not currently convinced that we will actually beat Cardiff. I am predicting a very difficult game, with some 'same old' playing characteristics. I am braced for disappointment and wondering still where we are going as a club. Starting to lose the faith I'm afraid. Shameful though it is to change your mind... I'm having a bit of an internal rage... Lukaku and that other guy totally spoiled my daughter's first appearance at VP...

Still, up the Villa... Prove me wrong please.

• Like 1

So, it counts.

Yes, I know it counts. I never said it didn't.

So it balances out. We should have lost to City - we were lucky, we should have beaten Everton (imho) we were unlucky. Not that it matters, we did not hit the target on Saturday and that is what counts.

I dont think we were that lucky vs City, Guzan didnt really have to make any great saves or wasnt called into that much action with amount of possession City had

Edited by Zatman

So, it counts.

Yes, I know it counts. I never said it didn't.

So it balances out. We should have lost to City - we were lucky, we should have beaten Everton (imho) we were unlucky. Not that it matters, we did not hit the target on Saturday and that is what counts.

What are you talking about? We hit the target several times on Saturday. What counts is converting chances, which we didn't do.

And I never said it didn't balance out. I wasn't the one trying to dismiss any of victories/defeats because of luck or bad luck.

Edited by Mantis

I don't think we were lucky against city or unlucky against Everton.

Against city we defended better than they did.

Against Everton they took their chances and we didn't.

i would say that same opinion I had over the 2 games. 

think of our home games only the Newcastle and to an extent Spurs game I would be disappointed about the performance. Against Liverpool and Everton we had enough chances to get a result

I don't think we were lucky against city or unlucky against Everton.

Against city we defended better than they did.

Against Everton they took their chances and we didn't.

That's pretty much it. If you want to win games, take your chances and don't fall asleep at the back. It was absolutely criminal to give Lukaku that much space. Guzan must scream himself to sleep every night

Any luck we had in the City game was balanced out by the travesty of Chelsea away and all the decisions that went against us that night.

Everton was one of those games where we were just never going to score, we've had plenty of those games down the years. Easier to accept though if our home form wasn't continually woeful.

We're very, very inconsistent in our performances in pretty much every area of the pitch. I don't think we'll be right down at the bottom again but these next few games will really give us an indication on how we compare to the teams that will no doubt finish around us.

Our next two home games are against Cardiff and Sunderland, two teams that in my opinion we have to beat. I expected pretty much guaranteed losses against Tottenham and Man City but we managed to get three points from those two games, I also wasn't positive that we'd be able to beat Everton as they're better than us at the minute.

Bacuna and Delph have been really good for us so far and Vlaar has definitely improved on last season. Hopefully when Benteke is back up to 100% fitness we'll start firing again.

As I said previously, the next two home games are two that we must win.

Good post. 

If we had all 11 players on form we would win more than we lose. Unfortunately, we do not have enough cover, nor good replacements for players when not on form and it shows.

I agree, it is definitely a question of quality but I guess we just have to put with it as it's not something we can change. I'd like to see Sylla and Helenius given starts just like Tonev got today.

Today we could have been 3-0 up within the first half but we didn't take our chances and were punished for it. It probably won't be the last time we see it happen this season but in contrast we've already seen us pull off upsets against Arsenal and Man City.

We have an extremely young squad, I don't think any of our players have over 50 Premiership games under their belt yet and inconsistency will come hand in hand with this. 

We're very, very inconsistent in our performances in pretty much every area of the pitch. I don't think we'll be right down at the bottom again but these next few games will really give us an indication on how we compare to the teams that will no doubt finish around us.

Our next two home games are against Cardiff and Sunderland, two teams that in my opinion we have to beat. I expected pretty much guaranteed losses against Tottenham and Man City but we managed to get three points from those two games, I also wasn't positive that we'd be able to beat Everton as they're better than us at the minute.

Bacuna and Delph have been really good for us so far and Vlaar has definitely improved on last season. Hopefully when Benteke is back up to 100% fitness we'll start firing again.

As I said previously, the next two home games are two that we must win.

Good post. 

If we had all 11 players on form we would win more than we lose. Unfortunately, we do not have enough cover, nor good replacements for players when not on form and it shows.

I agree, it is definitely a question of quality but I guess we just have to put with it as it's not something we can change. I'd like to see Sylla and Helenius given starts just like Tonev got today.

Today we could have been 3-0 up within the first half but we didn't take our chances and were punished for it. It probably won't be the last time we see it happen this season but in contrast we've already seen us pull off upsets against Arsenal and Man City.

We have an extremely young squad, I don't think any of our players have over 50 Premiership games under their belt yet and inconsistency will come hand in hand with this. 

equally they could have had 2 before they scored and Vlaar was lucky with his hand ball in the box....look they were more comfortable on the ball and eventually it shows in results.

They also are not blessed with unlimited funds but seem, seem to make a better fist of it.

interesting how their 2 loans players was instrumental in their win.

its called good decision making on and off the pitch.

We beat City by one goal and one of those goals shouldn't have stood. Everton beat us by two legitimate goals. I'm not sure how you can compare the two..

Question should James McCarthy have been sent off? Would it have changed the game?

It was the same type of challenge that Westwood himself made on Sigurdsson(?) the previous game and got only yellow as well. Don't think the referee helped Everton at all, besides Vlaar had a very clear handball in our penalty area. 

I thought today was a step forward in our home form. End result aside, there were a lot of positives, and in all fairness we should've at least picked up a point. It was clearly our best home effort so far.

All we needed was an in-form Benteke, which we didn't have.

I thought today was a step forward in our home form. End result aside, there were a lot of positives, and in all fairness we should've at least picked up a point. It was clearly our best home effort so far.

All we needed was an in-form Benteke, which we didn't have.

.....just as a matter of interest did you go to the game?

We beat City by one goal and one of those goals shouldn't have stood. Everton beat us by two legitimate goals. I'm not sure how you can compare the two..

Question should James McCarthy have been sent off? Would it have changed the game?

Yes he should have been but having less players doesn't automatically lose you the game. Westwood could easily have been sent off against Hull. Vlaar should've got a second yellow when we were 2-1 at Arsenal.

Yes he should have been but having less players doesn't automatically lose you the game. Westwood could easily have been sent off against Hull. Vlaar should've got a second yellow when we were 2-1 at Arsenal.

It changes the game though yes or no? You keep bringing up the City game, that we got a bit of luck, well so did Everton in that case.

Â