Weather...

avfcDJ

• VT Supporter
On 17/07/2021 at 10:35, sidcow said:

The developers will have sold the local planning committee some half arsed sham of a flood remediation plan which will fail the first proper flood they get. 

It is possible though.  If you travel into Kingsbury Village near Bodymoor Heath there is an old mill next to the river right on the island, used to be a couple of retail and commercial units there as well. 

Used to flood every other year.  They kept working on the defences but still it would flood a lot. 

Anyway, they developed the plot with housing and really beefed up the defences to an extent that the surrounding fields would flood before that compound and it's not flooded since, even with the really big floods we've seen in the last 10 years or so. 

But that was one small compound, no way could you do similar in a big housing development, not without making it look like Warwick Castle on steroids. 

Even if the new defences are successful all they've done is likely shift the flooding on to somewhere else. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm not even testing the sun today.  I could only sit out in 5 minute spells yesterday before it got uncomfortable.  It's Ok abroad as you can jump in the pool or go inside to aircon. 

I'm sitting watching telly and reading VT inside with the fan on and generally moving as little as possible. 

Might go out for an ice-cream later maybe. 

Will go lie in the hammock once the heat has really gone from the sun. 

Are you bollocko ? 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Even if the new defences are successful all they've done is likely shift the flooding on to somewhere else. 

In this instance they have, there’s a field that horses graze in immediately next the site of the mill and it’s like an extension of one of the Kingsbury lakes every time there’s a heavy rain

• VT Supporter
14 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

In this instance they have, there’s a field that horses graze in immediately next the site of the mill and it’s like an extension of one of the Kingsbury lakes every time there’s a heavy rain

Yeah, I'd seen flooding in the River Aire get jammed up by new flood defences and it resulted in all the fields now flooding. These ones were filled with sheep who sadly aren't the best swimmers going. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We had the fan blowing at about 11 and it was just pumping warm air at us. Horrible. 

A big bowl of ice water behind the fan works wonders. Obviously it'll melt during the night but it should chill things down for long enough to get to sleep.

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

A big bowl of ice water behind the fan works wonders. Obviously it'll melt during the night but it should chill things down for long enough to get to sleep.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that. 

• VT Supporter

I’m so happy that my company is allowing us to stay working from home. It’s days like today that make it worthwhile, not only do I get to sit in the sun on my breaks but I also don’t have to have the same “I like it warm, but this is too warm” conversations all day. 

I know it might be to everyone’s taste but **** hell, can’t people remember the six months of dark, cold and wet weather. Gotta enjoy it while you can. Make sweat while the sun shines, as they say.

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)

Just invested in an air cooler fan type jobbie. £23.99, reviews look good and delivered today before 10.

907-FDD8-F-D0-BA-465-B-BE3-E-B9963-DEF29

It has a water compartment you put in the freezer then it blow chilled air. 

Full review tomorrow 

Edited by Genie

• VT Supporter

The wife's been talking about upgrading the boiler to a heat pump as it's better for the environment and can also provide cold air in the summer. 

I'm starting to think she might be on to something. 

57 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The wife's been talking about upgrading the boiler to a heat pump as it's better for the environment and can also provide cold air in the summer. 

Air source heat pumps are ok. 

Look into it first though, not suitable for everyone.

This is our 2 weeks of proper hot weather before everything starts to revert back, so just keep in mind that expensive changes and buying A/C units for probably 10 days a year might not be a great investment. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
52 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Heat-pumps are great depending how expensive electricity is compared to other heating-solutions. Especially if the temperatures don't fall too far as their efficiency drops. 1 to 4 is the norm

I think -20 is the current cut-off when the ratio is 1 to 1.

My research is a year or two out of date, but I wouldn't put a heat pump in unless essentially kitting out the whole house to deal with draughts, insulation, and probably whacking in under floor heating as well. They're much slower to heat the building, and you'll probably need to upgrade to bigger radiators. There are loads of people who've just swapped their boiler for a heat pump and regret it because their houses are now freezing in winter. Especially in older porous UK housing stock, just swapping in a heat pump is a recipe for misery.

I wanted to take the leap, but I'll be waiting to see if there's a more convenient economical alternative before moving away from gas,

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, Tegis said:

Yep, that is a must and sadly lacking in older British houses, likewise proper windows.

Absolutely, housing stock is woeful in most of the country. Banning gas in new builds (from 2023, I think?) is definitely a sensible first step, and perhaps should have happened years ago, so we build up more and more modern housing that's much more efficient. Instead we're going to end up getting to the point of just bodging old houses at great expense because of decades of poor planning. It's the British way. 

There are plenty of horror stories of people having insulation retrofitted, particularly cavity-wall insulation, and having significant problems with damp, but I'm not sure how much of that is avoidable issues caused by cowboy tradesman.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Just invested in an air cooler fan type jobbie. £23.99, reviews look good and delivered today before 10.

907-FDD8-F-D0-BA-465-B-BE3-E-B9963-DEF29

It has a water compartment you put in the freezer then it blow chilled air. 

Full review tomorrow 

Its 5cm by 5cm by 5cm

• Haha 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â