Weather...

Dodgyknees

'76 is a distant memory and probably more folk lore than fact, but for me 2018 has a long way to go before it compares.

I was only a kid but it went on for ever, started whilst we were still in school and then carried on all through the summer holidays. You had to travel for miles to find some heath land or grass verge to set fire to. Most of it was already just scorched earth by the end of July.

Water bowsers in the street and the government advising no more than 6 inches of water in a bath.

Lived up the hill from the beach, so that summer I think I spent about 75% of my waking hours in the sea. Proper old british sea too, none of this clean water blue flag health and safety rubbish we have to have now. We were allowed to swim in our own shit back then.

Not everyone had a fridge back in '76, many like my nan would still have had a cold shelf, which was nothing more than a marble slab in a cool cupboard. Then later we all got fridges and use by dates.

In later years, I came to realise pop rationing had been bollocks dreamed up by my dad.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Xela said:

So is everyone enjoying the weather? I am but I am hating the fact I haven't got a garden or outside space of my own. 

The nighttimes are a pain as well as its too warm. I love it during the day but wish it would go cooler overnight

For the older VTers, how does this compare to the summer of 76?

1976 was great, I was 12/13 and it wasn't as if I had to **** work in it like now.

Roll on winter.

• Like 1

I just about remember the summer of 76. Our school field had the canal running along one side. There was about 3 feet of grass on that side.  The rest was scorched grass or dirt. I spent most of the summer in a plastic paddling pool in the back garden. Those weren't the days of pool chemicals and cleanliness. My first task every day was to remove the grass cuttings, dead insects,  dead hedgehogs and frogs that had found their way into the pool overnight.  I suppose a cover might have helped, but this was the 70s and germs never hurt anyone. Of course there was a hosepipe ban and the only way to fill up the pool legally was dozens of trips using a watering can. The can had probably been used to deliver weed killer to the garden and liquid fertiliser......but who cares about a few chemicals. It hasn't had a lasting effect on me. Spoons didn't talk as much as they did in the 80s and the voices in my head weren't as violent as they are now.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Haha 1

Probably the best tip I've ever been given.

If it's hot and you live in a house, leave your loft hatch open. Hot air rises and it definitely reduces the heat of bedrooms by a few degrees. 

Try it. It works. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks

6 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Probably the best tip I've ever been given.

If it's hot and you live in a house, leave your loft hatch open. Hot air rises and it definitely reduces the heat of bedrooms by a few degrees. 

Try it. It works. 

The downside is that vampires can get in more easily. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The downside is that vampires can get in more easily. 

A vampire can only enter a house if invited. So don't.

If you leave the cellar door open it allows cold air to circulate. But that does allow the children to escape and contact the authorities. 

53 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A vampire can only enter a house if invited. 

That's just naïve superstition. 

They can get in whenever they want. 

• Like 1

I love the warm weather and having what seems like a proper, reliable summer. Working in it sucks, though. Currently sat in my non-air conditioned room sweating my nuts off when I just want to be in the sea! 

Our options for cooling ourselves down are limited. One of the boys was sent home last week for wearing (smart) shorts by a line manager wearing a knee-length skirt and sandals, which doesn’t seem particularly fair. 

Fortunately, we’ve only got 4 and a bit days left and then 7 weeks off ?

1 hour ago, JB said:

Our options for cooling ourselves down are limited. One of the boys was sent home last week for wearing (smart) shorts by a line manager wearing a knee-length skirt and sandals

Ah, the age old dress code argument. FWIW, I think women get more leeway than men. 

I don't face the public but am still not allowed to wear shorts  (smart ones like already mentioned) but some of the women I work with look like they're heading off to the beach ?

• Like 1

Unless you're customer facing, dress codes take the piss. They achieve little other than making your staff feel like dispensable drones rather than people. 

I've been wearing shorts, t shirts and flip flops to the office for most of the past 2-3 weeks. For the first couple of days I got envious looks from people that had stupidly kept trousers or jeans on, now about half of the blokes in here have joined in. There's still one nob who's dressed like it's December who keeps wanting the AC set to arctic though. 

It's surprising for manglement at stuffy corporate offices, but people tend to be more productive when they're comfortable. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

For the second year in a row I’ve gone on holiday during the hottest period of the year in the UK. 

and for the second year in a row it’s hotter at home than it is where I am. 

**** all of y’all

• Haha 3

Â