Counter-attack isn't working

Kingfisher

Time for a rethink Lambert, counter attack isn't working and it's stifling a decent group of players. We actually looked like we could pass and move when we finally started to take the game to spurs but it was too late as they easily picked us off on, ironically, the counter attack.

At home it's different, teams close the space down for the front 3 and we look clueless.

This is where the "10" the playmaker comes into it.

We don't have one and at the moment it's showing and has done since the start of the season.

Until we sort out this issue we will continue to struggle at home.

We have a few too many players out of form at the moment. We've been missing performances from Westwood, Benteke and Weimann of late and it's certainly showing in the final third. Our midfield 3 can work well as a unit, but it relies on our front 3 firing on all cylinders, which isn't happening. We probably need an option for ACM, and that's something I hope Lambert addresses at some point.

I still don't really see what type of football Lambert is trying to implement. I thought there was some attempt at possession football last term but we have regressed in this aspect if anything.

Yes in possession we have deteriorated this season. Not sure why but we don't seem to have the same composure we did at the end of last season. Guess its being a really tough opening to the season so better to judge when we play against teams our equal or worse.

I still don't really see what type of football Lambert is trying to implement. I thought there was some attempt at possession football last term but we have regressed in this aspect if anything.

Yeh I agree..end of last season we were playing some lovely football

This season it's as if he's just thought "you know what I'm gonna give kick and rush a try"

Were desperate for a creative midfielder. Should have bought one instead of Kozak. Kozak works hard but has very little to his game. I'm sick to death of watching us hoof the ball with every attack. I didn't expect us to beat Spurs, but if were gunna get beat I'd rather us actually try to play football rather than just wack it to a target man.

• Like 1

PL said post match he thought there wasn't a lot in it and on another day we may get something from that. ...On the contrary Dwight Yorke thinks we are basically terrible at home and need to attack teams.... Different perspectives so i guess it's down to opinion but i do have to say that with some reasonable finishing today we could have drawn the game..... Gabby missed a good chance early on, Weimann was shocking and reminded me of Emile Heskey at his worst with his inability to get a shot even remotely close to being on target...  his finishing is Wild at best but frankly embarrassing for a Premier League footballer.........Get some serious shooting practice in Andi as your starting to look like a very poor player... Even the Beast missed a good chance to equalise and for me on form he would've buried that.

So that is our problem for me... disgracefully bad shooting basically. We make limited chances as it is so being profligate with those is the one thing which will seriously hurt us.

This is what it is with lambert I'm afraid. It ain't pretty, and it won't be in the future either.

Our midfielders cannot control the game, they are not able to keep possession and pass forward at all. This style is all we can do.

Luna and Bacuna create more than our midfield.

Does lambert no any other way, its part of the reason were so dire at home. The "young and hungry" players we signed in his first year have their big contracts and shiny range rovers and dont fit into that category anymore. At home 2 shots and 30 something possession is absolutely unacceptable.

Instead of spending 7m on a creative spark in midfield we used it on another lump of a forward to add to the other 3 6ft+ strikers we already have..

Counter-attacking is a marvelous weapon to have in the bag, but when it is the only resort we are incredibly easy to play against. Some teams are naive and believe they can beat us no matter what, like Man City, but it only takes a manager like Alan Pardew and Newcastle to exploit our weaknesses. Today Gabby was totally nullified by Kyle Walker and we created nothing with our attempts.

All in all we need Benteke to be on the pitch, because he is the only one we have who could do something from nothing.

• Like 1

Does lambert no any other way, its part of the reason were so dire at home. The "young and hungry" players we signed in his first year have their big contracts and shiny range rovers and dont fit into that category anymore. At home 2 shots and 30 something possession is absolutely unacceptable.

Instead of spending 7m on a creative spark in midfield we used it on another lump of a forward to add to the other 3 6ft+ strikers we already have..

Does it really matter how tall the strikers are? I haven't seen much of him but Helenius is supposed really good with his feet but not that strong. Benteke's hardly a traditional target man either.

Â