footnall : keenan strikes back. (the weekend football thread)

Jimzk5

It's the owner of the Jags (worst NFL franchise). The commentator today had the cheek to call him a 'successful sports entrepreneur'   :crylaugh:

he's only owned them for about 18 months hasn't he?

I thought successful entrepreneur's are meant to buy good things. Jags have been 2-21 in their last 18 months.

• Like 1

Does that really matter, the parachute payments? A lot of that would have gone on stadium improvement, players getting bonuses and new contracts for unexpectedly getting promoted.

I think that's one of the most overused phrases in football seeing as a decent chunk of those payments come in the parachute payments when you go down.

Palace have done this before, been up through the play-offs, got relegated straight away and were in administration within 4 years so the riches didn't do them much good then apart from funding their decent academy.

Of course they matter, especially when they have just almost doubled like they did this year because of the new TV deal and when a club have decided not to spend big on transfers or contracts like Palace have then the money is going back to the club.

Other clubs in the Championship get between £2-3m a year. Palace will be getting more than five times that amount to do with as they please.  If it goes on a new training ground or stadium upgrades then that is to the benefit of the club, if it goes on a squad to have a crack at promotion again then that helps too.  Being a yoyo has worked out rather well for West Brom and that had a lot to do with parachute payments. 

I remember reading that Blackpool's owner trousered most of their TV and parachute money (allegedly).

Out of character though really, normally he struggles to keep things in his trousers.

Allegedly your honour

Not really, he served 3 years.

Â